Thread: Les Miserables

Default Les Miserables

Anyone a fan of Victor Hugo's novel or other adaptations?

I enjoy the Broadway adaptation and especially the music. It's very powerful. I haven't seen the movie, but I will one day. Like Adam Lambert, I wish they had gotten stronger singing voices for the movie, but then I'm a professional singer, and one who has sung at both Philharmonic Hall, NYC as well as Carnegie Hall.

Yea I have to admit that the singing in the movie for the most part is dreadful.... Especially Russell Crowe. Thankfully we have greats like Philip Quast, Earl Carpenter, and and Andrew Verlea to make up for that

I enjoyed the movie and have no problem with the singing. The only trouble I had understanding anything was when three people sang different things at the same time. I liked the sound, but I could only listen to one person at a time. I will have to rewatch or relisten to those songs so I can get the full meaning from those songs.

I was a little peeved with Anne Hathaways performance of "I dream the dream" She overacted it and should have just sung the song. I know it's supposed to be an emotional scene in all, but honestly think it could have been done better. Out of all the performances in the movie, I enjoyed Sacha Baron Cohens the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I enjoy the Broadway adaptation and especially the music. It's very powerful. I haven't seen the movie, but I will one day. Like Adam Lambert, I wish they had gotten stronger singing voices for the movie, but then I'm a professional singer, and one who has sung at both Philharmonic Hall, NYC as well as Carnegie Hall.
    It's honestly one of the best play's I've ever seen. I happily go and see it again every year. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward it!

I have to admit I have not read the book but I adore the musical soundtrack and have last year in August finally been to see the London cast live, it was an amazing experience, very overwhelming!
    I'm also looking forward to the new film now. It's not on in Germany yet but will be in late February.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    I was a little peeved with Anne Hathaways performance of "I dream the dream" She overacted it and should have just sung the song. I know it's supposed to be an emotional scene in all, but honestly think it could have been done better. Out of all the performances in the movie, I enjoyed Sacha Baron Cohens the best.
    I guess that may be sort of what you get when you have an actress singing but I can't judge yet as I haven't seen/heard it yet.

I read the book and thought it was pretty cool; I really liked Jean Valjean, the Thenardiers, and Cosette, except for the end where she (spoiler)

That said, I really wish Hugo had just STFU sometimes. I ended up creating an abridged version of the book as I read it, marking out stuff that had little or nothing to do with the plot. I ended up cutting out about 250 pages. I can't believe an editor didn't think of that. The fifty pages of inaccurately described historical battle, where the only relevant thing to the book is the last two paragraphs? I kind of raged at that point.

Oh well. I'd love to see the musical at some point, even though I'm not a big fan of musicals. I'm not sure about the movie, since they cast actors to sing. An actual film version would be fine with me; not to say the musical version doesn't capture the feel of the book, but I'd prefer to just see the story played out without any singing.