Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: How much does your diaper hold

Default RE: How much does your diaper hold

So there are lots of threads about how much various diapers hold as well as some pretty thorough research based on pouring liquid into diapers a various rates, etc., which I suppose is the way the manufacturers estimate this.

It crossed my mind this morning that there is a way to gather this information in vivo, so to speak.

The next time you have a pretty full diaper, weigh yourself before and after changing it. The diaper, itself, contributes trivial weight, but replace it before the second weighing, if you want to be as precise as possible. The difference is the weight of the contents, all of which has nearly the same density as water. A pint is a pound, as they say, the world around (except in the pub). So a gallon (sorry, I come from a backward country) is eight pounds.

So here is the challenge. My morning diaper---triple diapered with cloth---weighed in at 6 1/2 pounds: about 3 1/4 quarts. (I should note that unless there is a leak or an early meeting, I usually wear the diaper through the morning. This one I changed at about 10:30am.)

Alternately and perhaps more precise, weigh your diaper before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by WBxx View Post
    Alternately and perhaps more precise, weigh your diaper before and after.
    Works if you have a scale that will weigh small masses. Mine doesn't turn on unless it senses a sufficiently large weight. Also, most spring scales (read most home scales) are not as accurate at the limits of their range as they are in the middle.
    Nevertheless, whatever works for you counts.

For those of us in a more forward continent ( ^_~ ) , one litre weighs one kilogram.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    For those of us in a more forward continent ( ^_~ ) , one litre weighs one kilogram.
    Oh yeah, I knew that. A kg's a litre no matter where you metre. (A gram is a cc, an ounce is an ounce. It drifts into tautology.)

Yea, those brits and americans are weird :p

Quote Originally Posted by erevu View Post
    Well, only at 1 G I assume.
    Hmmm. Matters for pounds and ounces, but not for grams. Of course your scale measures weight in any case, so it matters for that, as well.

Apologies for re-vivifying my own thread (and one that I posted most of the messages on, to boot).
    I got around to weighing my diapers dry the other day. They weigh a lot more than I expected---about 3 pounds for my night-time combo (cloth). So the actual capacity was 3 1/2 pounds. Still almost 2 quarts, but more reasonable.

I'd still like to see some other figures. (The weight of a single disposable should be neglegible, but if you want to get a closer estimate, weigh yourself after padding up and after filling it.)