Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album of the Year?

Default Album of the Year?

So its January 1st. Which means a whole year of music has gone by and we are about to start a new one.

My highlights of the year and i would reccamend to anyone would have to be:

Handwritten by Gaslight Anthem; Gaslight anthem is almost a gimic band, playing songs almost completely about the Rock n Roll scene of the 50's and 60's, but with sweet Punk Licks and up beat magic.

Exister by Hot Water Music; probably the greatest band ever, and they come back strong after a few years hiatus with their post-punk sound. I couldnt have been more exited for its release and i stand by it being one of the best from so long ago back in may.

Rocket By Tree House Fire; this one is some sweet Ska-hiphop magic from over in the UK. Its kind of hard to describe, but lets just say i had the people at work calling me to ask what it was so they could enjoy it at home.

Failed States by Propagandhi; Now this one is an aquired taste. Quite the skate punk band that took their sound to a different leve a few years ago, now into the Super hardcore stuff with suprisingly a little bit of noise rock thrown in. but the band has really pulled together some good stuff in recent years.

What did you guys think of this year in music? their was so much more stuff i didnt mention but id like to read your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    What, what? No best of Lawrence Welk?
    Whoa man, im pretty sure he's dead. like long time dead in the 80's haha, but a noteably entry

Quote Originally Posted by coacoabananas View Post
    Whoa man, im pretty sure he's dead. like long time dead in the 80's haha, but a noteably entry
    Haha..I know. I was just kidding as being 65, I haven't heard any of your groups, and now I'm feeling my age. However, my daughter bought me Fun's second album which I actually wanted, and she bought me Mumford, who I have heard, so I guess I'm doing okay for an old dude.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Haha..I know. I was just kidding as being 65, I haven't heard any of your groups, and now I'm feeling my age. However, my daughter bought me Fun's second album which I actually wanted, and she bought me Mumford, who I have heard, so I guess I'm doing okay for an old dude.
    Well Fun's new addition was quite radical. I am not to familier with Mumford's new stuff, infact i think the only song i know is the Cave(or i think its called that). but quite good none the less, id say you were coolest 65 year old ive talked to in a while

Personally I like Mumford and Sons but Babel was nothing new, and fun. for me got old fast. So for me the album of the year if P.O.S.' We Don't Even Live Here, it is a great album but because it is underground it will not be nominated. I also enjoyed The xx's new album, Coexist. Coacoabananas-where do you listen to your music, I have never heard of any of the bands you mentioned but I think I will look them up. They sound interesting and I love getting into new music.

Well where i listen to my music catches me off guard, because im that weirdo that listens to vinyl in my basement, so i usually have hard copies of all my music. But a reasonable play to start would be Groove shark online. But if the question is where do i find my music, thats a whole story all together.

For finding music its nice to always go to live shows, i will always stand by the best thing in the world is live music. And usually bands group together by a common sound or just that they are similar. Probably the best way if you dont want your weekends smelling like beer and shirtless guys is to find a nice web forum that talks about the music you are into, suprisingly that is the best.(unfortunetly i cant share which ones with you because they are quite the P2P site as well as a forum)

and for the record i did sort of enjoy the XX album. but i know nothing of the P.O.S.

There are so many independent bands, and some who self publish, that it's a wide open field. That's cool that you're into vinyl CB, as the sound is much denser than CDs, and far more dense than downloaded music. I've said this before on other music threads, but back in the day of vinyl records, the covers were cool, and it gave you information of the style of the record and the band. In addition, albums were often complete ideas, where all the songs were related. An example would be "Tommy" by the Who, or "Abbey Road" by the Beatles.

There were a bunch of albums that I liked, Coheed and Cambria's The Afterman: Ascension was pretty awesome, The Menzinger's On the impossible Past is probably what i listened to the most, along with Foxy Shazam's Church of Roack and Roll, to name a couple off the top of my head :P