Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTL: Faster Than Light

Default FTL: Faster Than Light

I just got it from a Steam sale last week. Sometimes I love this game. It's very fun and addictive! It's hard to tear myself away from it sometimes. I've already played it for many, many hours!

But sometimes I really hate it! It's so easy to get really far, be doing really well, and then just suddenly be killed by some terribly overpowering enemy ship! It seems almost impossible to earn enough scrap to keep up with the power of the enemies.

And I'm only playing on easy. Easy is very difficult! I don't think I'll ever expect myself to beat normal mode. Only once did I ever reach sector seven on easy... and I don't believe I lasted very long there! Sectors four and five usually kill me quickly.

If anyone has any tips to offer, I'd be thankful! Though I've probably heard half of them already.

Sounds like me with Payday: The Heist. I don't know that much about FTL or anything on how to play it, but visually it looks alright.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    But sometimes I really hate it! It's so easy to get really far, be doing really well, and then just suddenly be killed by some terribly overpowering enemy ship
    This is the best part of the game, and indeed the best part of any roguelike. It's not about your successes, it's about the varied, countless ways in which you can heroically fail. It's supposed to be brutally hard, and it would be cheap and meaningless if it weren't.

It seems almost impossible to earn enough scrap to keep up with the power of the enemies.
    This certainly isn't true, if you play it correctly. Especially on easy. The game is no cakewalk, but there's certainly enough scrap to be had to make it through.

And I'm only playing on easy. Easy is very difficult! I don't think I'll ever expect myself to beat normal mode. Only once did I ever reach sector seven on easy... and I don't believe I lasted very long there! Sectors four and five usually kill me quickly.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of roguelikes. Still, the main thing it seems you need right now is practice - you'll get better. It's a difficult game, but you're having a harder time now than you will after you sink a bit more time into it.

If anyone has any tips to offer, I'd be thankful! Though I've probably heard half of them already.
    Be careful, don't be afraid to pause during combat, as often as necessary. Fire your weapons in bursts to overwhelm shields, time your beam weapons as soon as the shields go down. Burst lasers are by far the best weapons available, pick them up whenever you can. Destroying ships gives you better loot than accepting their bribes, usually. Boarding them and killing all the people onboard gives you even more. Get to as many nodes as possible before leaving a sector; rushing through is a horrible idea and a great way to screw yourself later on. Be ready for anything. Remember: A glorious failure is as much the end of a roguelike as a victory, if not moreso.
    Last edited by Axiom; 01-Jan-2013 at 15:30.

Thanks... though I've heard & tried most of that before.

I don't rush, but it seems like sometimes the rebels just advance too quickly. I can usually only explore like 30% to 40% of a sector. I know I could upgrade engines, but I can't just upgrade everything.

Do you really get better loot for killing enemies? I guess I'm just unlucky. Boarding enemy ships seems incredibly risky, and I usually need that scrap to upgrade shields, weapons/drones, and doors. Someone suggested leaving unused rooms without oxygen, but I can't really figure out how that's a great idea. Intruders often beam into important rooms.

This isn't my first roguelike either. I lost many, many adventurers on Dwarf Fortress. Many fortresses too. Though I love both games, somehow it's much less frustrating when you're not trying to reach an end point. On the other hand, it's always nice when there's some kinda story of some sort.

I've spent about 100 hours according to Steam so far in the game in the past few months, which is semi sad, but I'm sure there are worse things I can sink 100 hours into.

I've experienced the highs and lows of this game - I got wiped out in 3 star systems the last game I played, and I'm obviously quite experienced. Once you reach the 3rd or 4th space sector though, if you manage your resources well you'll have plenty of scrap, even if you never board an alien vessel (boarding is one tactic that I'm not terribly adept at). I've beat the game twice to my recollection, one time while beefing up my cloaking ability on the initial cruiser, and the second time by concentrating on drones with the cruiser that belongs to those mechanical dudes that look like Euro symbols - the only boarding I did either time was with one of those exceptional boarding/breaching drones.

As others have suggested, track down any and all burst lasers you can find (I think the quad burst lasers might be a bit of a waste) and time your shots appropriately. Also, you should concentrate your upgrades on essential and focused things like weapons or shields and for sure your doors (they're absolutely essential when you have invaders) not necessarily your sickbay or sensors, at least at first. I also don't advocate sending your crew over for any random missions, I get screwed over by these gambles more than I get saved.

I finally made it to the rebel flagship! I even did a ton of damage, but then I died. I probably should have focused on attacking the triple missile launcher.

Trying again...

I think I run into a glitch sometimes where beam weapons won't even do any damage to an enemy shield. Right now, I have a halberd beam (can't that one go through a shield?) & pike beam, but they're not doing anything at all when I hit the enemy ship. Or is there some kind of "negate all beam weapon damage" ship modification? I know there's one for ion weapons, but it's a 20% chance or something.

Wait.... crap.... beams aren't supposed to damage shields? I dunno how they were doing it in earlier sectors then. Oh... those were unshielded drones. But an enemy just broke through my shield with a halberd beam?! It wasn't a Glaive Beam. I don't get it. But now I'm in trouble. I haven't seen lasers to buy anywhere & I'm out of missiles!

I got lucky and found an anti-ship drone. I'll see how much it helps next time. Quitting for now.
    I can tell I am getting better at the game, despite some things.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 01-Jan-2013 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    I finally made it to the rebel flagship! I even did a ton of damage, but then I died. I probably should have focused on attacking the triple missile launcher.

Trying again...

I think I run into a glitch sometimes where beam weapons won't even do any damage to an enemy shield. Right now, I have a halberd beam (can't that one go through a shield?) & pike beam, but they're not doing anything at all when I hit the enemy ship. Or is there some kind of "negate all beam weapon damage" ship modification? I know there's one for ion weapons, but it's a 20% chance or something.

Wait.... crap.... beams aren't supposed to damage shields? I dunno how they were doing it in earlier sectors then. Oh... those were unshielded drones. But an enemy just broke through my shield with a halberd beam?! It wasn't a Glaive Beam. I don't get it. But now I'm in trouble. I haven't seen lasers to buy anywhere & I'm out of missiles!
    Beam weapons lose one damage for every shield they need to pass through, so in the early game, most beam weapons should be able to at least inflict a little damage to a ship - later on, only the Halbert, Glaive and Artillery beams are able to damage shielded ships.

Weapons - FTL: Faster Than Light Wiki

I think I died about 6 or 7 times trying to take out the Rebel boss ship before I actually finally destroyed it, so it was quite an investment in time and frustration, but it was certainly satisfying in the end.

Ohhhhhhhh I wasn't thinking that through carefully enough. I wasn't sure what it meant by each shield it passed through. I thought it meant each room for some reason.

I think my first priority to upgrade from now on should be engines. It gives me more chance to explore & earn more scrap for other stuff. I'm still doing pretty good on the playthrough I just mentioned in the last post (the second one), though my firepower is a little low, I did find a hull laser & an anti-ship drone.

I destroyed the flagship the second time I reached it (on easy, admittedly). I had the fortune of having 3x Burst Laser Mk II, which are far-and-away the best weapon in the game.

I made it to the flagship again. Half damage again, then I died. My weapons weren't that great. I'll win eventually.
    But I did accomplish something! I unlock a new Zoltan ship, Noether.