Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AB/DL More Common?

Default AB/DL More Common?

Well, I was just replying to another thread about public awareness and I got to thinking about how common (or not) AB/DL tendencies are. More interestingly, I was wondering if the number of people who claim to be AB/DL is increasing - and I'm talking about over a fairly long time period, i.e. decades? If it is increasing in the population, how much (if any) of that increase can be attributed to increased access to information, i.e. websites such as this one? Perhaps these questions are impossible to answer, but I thought I would see what everyone thought.

What do I think?

I wonder if AB/DL is a spectrum - I suspect it might be. Maybe young people on the low-end of the spectrum (those with only a mild interest in diapers) might, in the absence of availability or information from the Internet, not go on to call themselves AB/DL. Whereas, in the presence of supportive media and with the availability of diapers, maybe the same people get more into the AB/DL lifestyle to the point that they consider themselves part of the community. So, if this is true, we could see an increase in the number of people who claim to be AB/DL due to the Internet and perhaps recent TV shows.

But there are other factors. I think there are some people who get into this when they are older. For me, these feeling go back as far as I can remember. So, it has always puzzled me when I read about older people like teenagers getting into the AB/DL lifestyle. Is this a lifestyle choice? If so, again the Internet community must contribute and therefore we could say that there is reason to see an increase. But then, maybe these people were always on the low-end of the spectrum (as in my previous paragraph) and the feelings are being amplified by puberty or something else.

Anyway, lots of thoughts there. What does everybody think?

I think that the availability of adult-sized diapers (as the population aged and partial incontinence started showing up) allowed those of us with a propensity for ABDL to start enjoying our desires. Additionally, the internet has allowed those of us who thought we were alone (or part of a miniscule segment) to recognize that though the numbers are not great, they are not insignificant either. Finally, it may appear that there are more of us due to the fact we can communicate using forums like this one.

When I was growing up there was no viable way for me to contact or interact with other people who had my interests and I felt that I was basically alone.

Related to this, I really appreciate the existence of this site and the community it supports and that support it.

Quote Originally Posted by dprpantsnpypants View Post
    Well, I was just replying to another thread about public awareness and I got to thinking about how common (or not) AB/DL tendencies are. More interestingly, I was wondering if the number of people who claim to be AB/DL is increasing - and I'm talking about over a fairly long time period, i.e. decades? If it is increasing in the population, how much (if any) of that increase can be attributed to increased access to information, i.e. websites such as this one? Perhaps these questions are impossible to answer, but I thought I would see what everyone thought.

What do I think?

I wonder if AB/DL is a spectrum - I suspect it might be. Maybe young people on the low-end of the spectrum (those with only a mild interest in diapers) might, in the absence of availability or information from the Internet, not go on to call themselves AB/DL. Whereas, in the presence of supportive media and with the availability of diapers, maybe the same people get more into the AB/DL lifestyle to the point that they consider themselves part of the community. So, if this is true, we could see an increase in the number of people who claim to be AB/DL due to the Internet and perhaps recent TV shows.

But there are other factors. I think there are some people who get into this when they are older. For me, these feeling go back as far as I can remember. So, it has always puzzled me when I read about older people like teenagers getting into the AB/DL lifestyle. Is this a lifestyle choice? If so, again the Internet community must contribute and therefore we could say that there is reason to see an increase. But then, maybe these people were always on the low-end of the spectrum (as in my previous paragraph) and the feelings are being amplified by puberty or something else.

Anyway, lots of thoughts there. What does everybody think?
    I see a lot of teens getting into this on the furside they try it and it's fun I feel there is the internet at play here for some its a fetish and for some its more than that. It's a mix of sorts
    I remember you had to look hard to find any thing on AB or DL now its every were some what.
    Big change.

I imagine the number of people that have ab/dl tendancies has remained the same, but more people are willing to admit it now. Also I imagine more people, who would not have come to be ab/dl on their own, make a conscious decision to participate after having learned about it via the internet and social networking.

I believe there a couple factors contributing to the perceived rise in numbers of Dl's and littles. The internet certainly has changed the playground. People can feel more comfortable with themselves now that they can see so many more people have the same desires. I think the access to info and a community changed it a bit as well. I used to only be a diaper lover, but ever since checking out various sites (including this one), I've noticed I've veered more in adult baby territory.
    The other factor is that in general, our lives as people has gotten more stressful. With social media to check every five minutes, bills to pay during our tough time and just a more hectic lifestyle the average person is more likely to think a little escapism ain't so bad.
    What ever the reasons for the increase, I'm glad and hope it continues for a bit.

I agree that as social media progresses, people into the ab/dl fetish or lifestyle find out they're not alone in the world. Which leads them into searching for answers and friends online, causing our numbers to grow faster than before.

I'd love to see a sociologist fully study this some day. It seems to me that the secrecy with which we (humans) deal with our sexuality in general keeps most unusual things out of public awareness altogether.

This article says that paraphilias are far more common in males than in females. This would seem to be true based on what most of us anecdotally witness in ABDL websites and even the population of this forum.

This German study on Paraphilia ["paraphilia-associated sexual arousal patterns (PASAP)'] found that 62.4% of males admit to having such patterns. So ABDL would be one small subset of hundreds in that "diagnosis". Examples of paraphilia run the gamut and include things (as far as I understand) like crossdressing, certain body parts [eg feet], pedophilia, bdsm, medical objects, furries, etc. etc. etc. It is interesting to me that the study found that only 1.7% of men had been distressed by their paraphilia. Given the amount of distress that most ABDLs feel at some point in their lives because of this, I was surprised by that number.

The long and the short: my hunch is that paraphilias/kinks are relatively common (although largely not admitted publicly or even among friends) but that only a tiny portion of the population have the specific paraphilia we share (my guess would be that it's significantly below 1% of the population). GIven that even even our interests are not homogenous, I could imagine thousands of possible combinations or idiosyncrasies.

Given the exponential population rise that was seen after WW2 it is likely there was a large increase in the number of AB/DLs from the 50s onwards but the general proportion of AB/DLs in the general population would have remained constant and the rise of sites like this just make it seem like there are more of us, if you see that more and more people join here each day does that mean there are more AB/DLs in the world? No it just means that more are finding and joining sites to talk about being an AB/DL.

There's a lot of people, which aren't activated, or better to say - not found, what they "like" and "need."

The one thing I think is pretty agreeable is the internet has had a major effect. I don't know if it has "created" more *B/DLs but I do think it has lead to more people being open about and/or realizing there is a classification for it (And thus groups of similar people). I also think the internet, along with a changing culture, has lowered the stigma/taboo factor on fetishes, leading more people to be more willing to discuss and engage instead of feeling it is something to not be talked about.