Thread: Shooting Ourselves in the Foot?

Default Shooting Ourselves in the Foot?

It crossed my mind, that as much as many of us would like to see more public awareness of the ab/dl scene, it could backfire in a way. It would be nice for people to understand that there are a LOT of people that are into this, and that it is normal.

BUT, it is also nice to know that very few people question our motives when buying diapers. They assume they are for a medical purpose, and probably not for us. If they are educated about the prevalence of young to middle-aged, healthy adults that wear for fun, they are more likely to jump to the conclusion that the diapers we're buying really are for us.

Think about this. It is common knowledge that a lot of men like to wear women's underwear. So, it isn't unlikely that a store clerk might wonder if a man buying women's lingerie is "one of those types of people." Men have MANY legitimate reasons for buying lingerie, and yet the thought still crosses people's mind. A young, healthy looking person buying diapers is a much less common act, and there are fewer likely scenarios. Therefore, suspicion is likely to be all the more prevalent.

Does it matter? Not really, but it may make purchases awkward. If the person I bought diapers from suspected that I was wearing them for fun, and that that made me a "wierdo," I'd be upset. No one wants to be thought of in that way. Plus I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

So, that's all I really have to say about it. It is not really something we can change either way. What will happen will happen. But, I'm curious to hear what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsAndLeaves View Post
    It crossed my mind, that as much as many of us would like to see more public awareness of the ab/dl scene, it could backfire in a way. It would be nice for people to understand that there are a LOT of people that are into this, and that it is normal.
    Well, that's a good question/observation. I think more public awareness of the ab/dl scene will not really help us that much and as you say, it can only really make buying diapers more stressful. Also, public awareness will most likely come through increased media interest in us and the media tends to look more towards the negative side of things. For example, say a young person got caught stealing diapers from a store - now stealing is wrong, we all know that, but this story would be a lot more interesting if the kid had a diaper fetish. I think the media would latch onto this and turn what is basically a 'non story' into something a lot more sensational that ultimately portrays us as a threat. It took decades for society to stop considering homosexuals as a threat (well, I'm sure we're still not really there) so I think the same will be true of AB/DL - right now, we can enjoy relative anonymity but in my mind, more public awareness will lead to more problems for us. But maybe I am being too negative?

Interesting point about turning a non-story into a big-story. It reminds me of how someone stealing baby diapers out of trash cans can get national attention, while someone just stealing trash out of a trash can would only result in a neighbor yelling at them. (I don't condone the taking of diapers from trash cans, I'm just using it as an example of something that doesn't need to show up on the news).

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsAndLeaves View Post
    Interesting point about turning a non-story into a big-story. It reminds me of how someone stealing baby diapers out of trash cans can get national attention, while someone just stealing trash out of a trash can would only result in a neighbor yelling at them. (I don't condone the taking of diapers from trash cans, I'm just using it as an example of something that doesn't need to show up on the news).
    Yeah, that's a great point. I wouldn't condone that behavior either but I can see how somebody could do it, if they had no other access to diapers. If you didn't know about AB/DL it would be easy to judge this person as a dirty pervert. It just goes to show that we need to understand why people do things before we judge them - but the media doesn't really care about this!

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity, naturally when your into diapers like we are then there certainly is. Take furries for example, they hardly have a good public image and responses range from "Meh not for me but whatever" to "I fucking hate those furfags, they need to be killed" and we're not going to get much of a different reaction to be honest.

Zpeed

Whatever I buy is my business and sellers should just be happy they get more buyers

Fetishes is the new black vs white

Quote Originally Posted by dprpantsnpypants View Post
    Well, that's a good question/observation. I think more public awareness of the ab/dl scene will not really help us that much and as you say, it can only really make buying diapers more stressful. Also, public awareness will most likely come through increased media interest in us and the media tends to look more towards the negative side of things. For example, say a young person got caught stealing diapers from a store - now stealing is wrong, we all know that, but this story would be a lot more interesting if the kid had a diaper fetish. I think the media would latch onto this and turn what is basically a 'non story' into something a lot more sensational that ultimately portrays us as a threat. It took decades for society to stop considering homosexuals as a threat (well, I'm sure we're still not really there) so I think the same will be true of AB/DL - right now, we can enjoy relative anonymity but in my mind, more public awareness will lead to more problems for us. But maybe I am being too negative?
    There is still hate crimes with homosexuality. That was one of the things my mom said about being transgender "If someone sees you in a dress you are likely to get shot."

So there is still long way to go.

As far as the stealing thing, if it was put in the right light and get the message of "If DL was more accepted then he would not have to steal them in fear of being made fun of" then maybe a positive message can come from it.

This is my argument about the channel 4 documentary on ABs - I don't think it has helped the image of ABs. Like I said on the post on that thread, some people who didn't know about the AB/DL world have heard about it from the documentary and have started poking fun at it.

sure, but the comments always seem to be much more immature than what I generally see in this forum.. even when people post on the 'Marshmallow Trick' thread