Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Opinion of UnderJams

Default My Opinion of UnderJams

So the other day I finally got my hands on a pack of Pampers UnderJams (Size L/XL - Girls). They don't ordinarily sell them in Australia, but I was travelling at the time and managed to find them in a supermarket in Switzerland. I have to say, I was definitely optimistic and greatly looking forward to trying them on so I 'went in' with an open mind.

I'm usually one to stick with Huggies products (mainly because that's whats sold primarily in Australia). I've been wearing DryNites for years now and they've always been pretty good. I read a few reviews on the Pampers prior to purchasing them, but I have to say I can't agree with everything that the reviews say. Let me know what you think and whether you agree or not, but this is what I thought of them...

My first impression was simply how amazingly comfortable they are. There's no doubting that they're made of much softer and stretchier materials than the DryNites, which can be a little 'stiff' at times. (Although some people may prefer the 'crinklyness' of the DryNites)

Secondly, they're very absorbent and I find that they absorb much quicker which means that they take a flooding a lot better than DryNites do.

Thirdly, the cut at the front of the the UnderJams is slightly better than the DryNites. I like the way that the side elastic kind-of continues down the front a little lower which makes the pants conform a lot better around the legs. This has always been a place where I find that the DryNites leak.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives end...

Firstly, I understand that Pampers is trying to market them as being more discreet than DryNites with the lower waistband, but personally, they're way too short. I've got a 31" waist and they were sitting ridiculously low. In the process of getting them to fit properly by pulling them up at the back and lowering them slightly at the front to the point where they were centred on my body I noticed the subtle, yet dreaded ripping sound which leads me to my next point...

I had read about the notorious ripping-sides of the UnderJams but I was hoping that it wouldn't be much of an issue considering I only had a 31" waist and I had seen images of much larger people wearing them without trouble. Oh how wrong I was... After an hour of wearing the UnderJams while lying down flat, not moving at all, not stretching my legs or anything that may put strain on the seams, I noticed that not only had the side seams half torn on each side (and they were getting worse) but also the seam where the sides join to the front of the pants was half hanging off and about to completely shear off.

Overall I'd rate the UnderJams at 5/10. In my opinion, make them longer at the front and back by about 2cm each, strengthen the side and front seams and they'll be absolutely perfect! Better than the DryNites, in fact.

Anyway, that about sums up my opinion / review of them. I'd be interested to see if others agreed / disagreed with some of the points I have made.

I'm honestly wondering now whether the UnderJams sold in my area come from a differently-tuned diaper machine. I have 44" hips and I've worn the L/XL ones for hours without any tearing! Huh. Anyway, I totally agree on the low rise. If you stretch the L/XL UnderJams out flat, they're the same length as a Baby Dry 6 or Cruisers 7 baby diaper! L/XL GoodNites are much better in that regard, but I can't stretch into them without modding because the Huggies elastic is... well... rather inelastic! D'oh!

So UnderJams get the win for me, if only because I can actually put them on. If I could get GoodNites up without popping the sides, they'd win for sure.

As I see it, the critical weakness of both UnderJams and GoodNites is the narrow crotch. Neither are really any better than the other in that regard, and if you're an adult male, you'll find that there's just no room for your "junk" down there. That means: Go slowly, or you'll leak out the sides. Baby diapers are actually better in that regard!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I'm honestly wondering now whether the UnderJams sold in my area come from a differently-tuned diaper machine. I have 44" hips and I've worn the L/XL ones for hours without any tearing! Huh. Anyway, I totally agree on the low rise. If you stretch the L/XL UnderJams out flat, they're the same length as a Baby Dry 6 or Cruisers 7 baby diaper! L/XL GoodNites are much better in that regard, but I can't stretch into them without modding because the Huggies elastic is... well... rather inelastic! D'oh!

So UnderJams get the win for me, if only because I can actually put them on. If I could get GoodNites up without popping the sides, they'd win for sure.

As I see it, the critical weakness of both UnderJams and GoodNites is the narrow crotch. Neither are really any better than the other in that regard, and if you're an adult male, you'll find that there's just no room for your "junk" down there. That means: Go slowly, or you'll leak out the sides. Baby diapers are actually better in that regard!
    Huh, yeah it's odd. The packet was the standard multilingual UnderJams pack and although it didn't specifically say where it was made, the packet serial number text that's like lasered into the side of the pack started with 'USA' something. So I can only assume they're made in the USA. Apart from that, it said 'Made by Procter & Gamble' on the side which is standard for any Pampers product, I suppose. I do agree that the crotch is narrow on both of them, but I honestly don't mind 'going slow' in them - Sometimes If I do that it makes it feel more like I'm actually wetting the bed :3

Quote Originally Posted by sk8erboy View Post
    Goodnites > Underjams
    I have to agree. But I think the UnderJams can be improved greatly. Even then, I'm sure the UnderJams are good for those that fit them well.

I've only recently tried them too and I'm not a fan. I do realise they are aimed at slightly younger kids than drynites are, but I was expecting them to be better. It feels like you can stretch and stretch them and they will never break, but I wore one for about 2 hours under a pair of PJ bottoms and the stretchy part looked like it had been rubbing on something and became very weak - I poked it a bit and it came undone. I guess I'm used to drynites fitting quite high on my waist as opposed to these, which make me feel like I'm wearing a pampers size 4 or something! This as well as they seem to be priced higher than drynites at Tesco means I don't think I'll be investing in another pack

I've never tried Underjams because I have not heard too many positive things about them. I like the Goodnights. I like how it's sort of a 'gateway' diaper :P But for me, Goodnights are it. I can magically get myself into them, so I won't mess with what already works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by drynites1993 View Post
    I've only recently tried them too and I'm not a fan. I do realise they are aimed at slightly younger kids than drynites are, but I was expecting them to be better. It feels like you can stretch and stretch them and they will never break, but I wore one for about 2 hours under a pair of PJ bottoms and the stretchy part looked like it had been rubbing on something and became very weak - I poked it a bit and it came undone. I guess I'm used to drynites fitting quite high on my waist as opposed to these, which make me feel like I'm wearing a pampers size 4 or something! This as well as they seem to be priced higher than drynites at Tesco means I don't think I'll be investing in another pack
    I completely agree! I enjoy the way that the DryNites fit high on my waist - It's a satisfying feeling!

Regarding the problem of ripping sides, I advice you to wear real underpants on top of the diaper, and the sides don't rip anymore

I'm wearing my first ever underjams. Saw them at Boots BOGOF, and had a wadge of "2 off any Pampers packs" coupons. Bought a couple of packs of babywipes and wham - 8 off products totalling 7.19 - extreme couponing!

I'm far from tiny - generally an XL/XXL guy (6'3") but I guess in this respect I'm lucky that the majority of my weight goes on my tummy; not even close to feeling like they might rip. Might have to try Babydry 6s again!

The rise feels like a babies nappy and the absorbency is not as good but for free I'm not complaining.

- - - Updated - - -

*just snapped* ooops!