29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

15 51.72%
  • No.

14 48.28%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Reality Question

Default Virtual Reality Question

Would you leave this life indefinitely, to live in a virtual life, possibly populated by other people in the simulation, or AI? Would you spend the rest of your life there, especially if it extended your life span to MUCH longer than the normal range? A perfect world, or a world much like our own, but slightly different? (Perhaps a different period of human history.)

This goes along with wanting to live in a different time, I suppose, as I have read about on here a few times.

(Put this in Off Topic because of the effect it would have on your life, ETC. Move to C&G if mods so desire.)

[Another way to put it, although I was meaning somewhat of a life simulator, it could be some sort of gaming experience as well]
    Last edited by Mr Alex; 16-Nov-2008 at 03:47.

That's a very interesting question. Who's to say that the 'reality' we live in now isn't false as well?

Oh, and by the way: there is no spoon.

Who's to say that the 'reality' we live in now isn't false as well?
    I have thought about this and dismissed it as false, but it is possible.

Glitch in the system? Revert to the back up, who will remember, all that info is gone, we just went back X number of years. How do we know if history gets changed by time travel? We won't, it will have been changed before we learned about the older history.

I have thought about this and dismissed it as false, but it is possible.
    The trouble is, a person has literally no evidence whatsoever proving or disproving if anything at all is real. Proof of x or evidence of y is of no value if they're defined by a reality that may possibly be itself false.

This stuff really hurts my brain.

If it was populated by beings with only AI it would be an awfully lonely place.

The trouble is, a person has literally no evidence whatsoever proving or disproving if anything at all is real. Proof of x or evidence of y is of no value if they're defined by a reality that may possibly be itself false.
    Yeah, that's why I said I think/thought that it is false/unlikely but possible.

Verscha's first post greatly reminded me of this movie. Which I think about covers your topic, Mr. Alex.

Mr. Alex im afraid you're going to have to come with me.

On a serious note if i could gain extra abilities in that world and it was pretty close to the real yeah i might go into it.

immagine all the fun of a virtual enviroment where you can actually go to... if something isn't working out, just reprogram it!

Yeah, probably, if everybody did it (expect a few people who take care of our bodies).

I mean, if you live longer, it would be great. Plus you could make a perfect world, no murder or anything...

But then, in a virtual world everything would be recorded, and you'd have no privacy whatsoever!

Plus I value reality a bit too much...

So actually no, I wouldn't.