Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how did you obtain your copy of your OS (legit wise)

Default how did you obtain your copy of your OS (legit wise)

with the enconmy downhill for years and still ongoing. i'm sure many are going thru many means when they upgrade/obtain thier current Pay-for OS (windows/big-name linux [redhat etc/ones thay are pay-for due to support.] and mac OS) alot go thru Illegitimate means but for the way you obtained your legal copy. how did you? (secial seminars, pre-installed/came with etc)

for me? i got in on one of the last spaces for the "New Efficiency" seminar microsoft held all around the world for Windows 7, (since all attendees got a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate free. i had a guest with me and they too got a copy. (intrestingly enough the cd-keys w/ those spefic copies work on x86 and x64.)

I only buy upgrade versions, nowadays. I got a good deal on a 3-pack of win7 home edition upgrade for about $100 a while back.
    (using upgrades to do a fresh install is, in fact, supported by microsoft)

Well for me it's been a Mac thing... bought the mac (I've been using macs like forever) and got the os along... had bought the latest version of OS X over apples online store (the App Store thing).
    I believe that apple's pricing scheme for the OS is really fair (read : it's cheap)...
    where Windows would cost me quite a bit more $...

Also got a Linux box at work.

I pre-ordered a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium so I got it for ~£65, which is probably close to a 50% reduction on the RRP (but still expensive seeing as I never use it and prefer XP anyway).

I use Arch Linux on most of my machines (and as my main OS on my main PC), so I just downloaded the free ISO image...

Quote Originally Posted by ZakRoo View Post
    I only buy upgrade versions, nowadays. I got a good deal on a 3-pack of win7 home edition upgrade for about $100 a while back.
    (using upgrades to do a fresh install is, in fact, supported by microsoft)
    How does the upgrade work then? Is it on the honour system?

As for me, I own two copies of preinstalled Windows 7, two copies of (formerly) preinstalled Vista, and the evaluation version of Windows 8 on my media PC. I'll probably track down a discounted floating retail version of 7 or 8 to install on the media computer. I also purchased an OEM copy of Windows 7 which I'm currently using - I had previously heard that OEM windows gets its claws into your motherboard as far as authenticating goes - but my copy has worked on two very different machines so far without any issues.

I'm really digging many of these Linux distros I've been testing like Lubuntu and Linux Mint, but for my media PC, Netflix is a killer app - I had already installed Mint when I found out Netflix wasn't supported whatsoever and likely wouldn't for the foreseeable future. If Valve can lead the revolution with its Linux Steam client, I'll be more than happy to convert my main gaming/development PC to Linux. I do have Raspbian Weezy installed on my little Raspberry Pi device - it's an ARM version of Debian I believe.

Not counting phones, the last time I paid for an OS (outside of making donations to a foundation) was when I bought Vista through my university for $10 or $20. I still have it on a VM just for Netflix, but since '08 my desktop and laptop have primarily run some flavor of Linux. (Currently Mint 13.)

Have used one form or another of Linux for over a decade. Still have a legit copy of windows XP (pre SP1) I bought OEM (.. so I guess pseudo-legit) for running in a virtual machine which I use for the rare occasion where I need to run windows only software. Installing it now is an epic pain due to the number of required updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    How does the upgrade work then? Is it on the honour system?

As for me, I own two copies of preinstalled Windows 7, two copies of (formerly) preinstalled Vista, and the evaluation version of Windows 8 on my media PC. I'll probably track down a discounted floating retail version of 7 or 8 to install on the media computer. I also purchased an OEM copy of Windows 7 which I'm currently using - I had previously heard that OEM windows gets its claws into your motherboard as far as authenticating goes - but my copy has worked on two very different machines so far without any issues.

I'm really digging many of these Linux distros I've been testing like Lubuntu and Linux Mint, but for my media PC, Netflix is a killer app - I had already installed Mint when I found out Netflix wasn't supported whatsoever and likely wouldn't for the foreseeable future. If Valve can lead the revolution with its Linux Steam client, I'll be more than happy to convert my main gaming/development PC to Linux. I do have Raspbian Weezy installed on my little Raspberry Pi device - it's an ARM version of Debian I believe.
    Generally yes, it's on the honor system. I suppose that if they really wanted, microsoft could ask customers to produce a receipt for a past version of windows, but it's not likely.
    Personally, I'd love to find the time to tinker with linux, but it's tough to beat an OS that just... works when you plug it in.