Thread: Regression

Mukksa

Lightbulb Regression

How does it happen?

I'm always hearin things about people regressing to when they were a 5 year old or whatever age.

How does regression work? Do people just "get" into it, persay? Or is it a huge process?

This has been itching at me for a while now

Regression is one of those things that can mean different things for different people. Sometimes when a psychologist or doctor refers to regression, as in a young child that starts sucking his thumb, wetting his pants, etc, it is in reference to a behavior that the individual had previously overcome.

Among adults (and teens and children) who have an interest in diapers it most often refers to feelings and behaviors.

When I regress it is often an emotional experience that is triggered by any of a number of things. Wearing a diaper can do it for me, but waking up in a wet diaper and the deeply emotional memory of those feelings often takes me back to a time when life was very simple. Once the regression is triggered it is a matter of me acting on the feelings like a baby would. So if I am watching a movie, for example, and the feelings are triggered I can usually fight them off if I need but if I submit I often will find myself deeply craving things like my diapers, sometimes a pacifier, my plushie, and even the nurture of my mother.

I have also had experiences where hypnosis, including self hypnosis, results in me entering a mental state of a young child.

For me I am still the same person that I was originally, before the regression, so I don't just start talking baby talk that doesn't go away. In fact I am generally pretty nonverbal, I might want to play with toys, I will likely have a strong desire to be diapered and use it, and I will sometimes crave my pacifier. There are times that diapers are not involved. When I regress I am typically more emotional, when do speak I speak much more softly, and some people will occasionally comment that I have a really tender or sweet side to me (they have witnessed some of my mild regressive tendencies).

For me it can happen just about any time, although when I am willing to fully submit to the feelings I am usually alone and in a safe place. It is not all that uncommon for me to have those feelings and just be carrying out my normal adult activities.

I refer to these regressed times, at any level, to being in baby mode. Publicly, when I am in baby mode, I am pretty guarded but I will occasionally let parts of my little side show.

Hopefully this helps. I know that regression can take on more than this sort of form, and the degree and specifics of any other persons regression can vary widely.

Mukksa

What if you submit to it out in public?
    Is there some self control to it?
    Are there different triggers for different people?
    How would you act?
    Why am I asking all of these questions? :P terribly sorry for flooding with questions I'm just quite interested and curious.
    Last edited by Mukksa; 26-Dec-2012 at 01:02.

I would agree with much of what Garzilla said. It is pretty much a feeling, the more you come to recognize this feeling the more you learn to understand it and how to respond. I think mostly you would be able to control this, but it is kinda repressing something that will keep nagging for attention. it's not wise to act on regression tendencies in public unless you are with someone who is aware and able to look out for you. Having said that, I sometimes can be feeling quite little when I'm out and probably just respond to things in a more immature manner.

It could be triggered by anything really, but it's mostly an inner voice, emotion or feeling that draws me into a regressive state of mind. It can be a bit like when you just feel like curling up on the sofa or something like that, or when you really feel like you need a hug...sometimes you might just be feeling really playful.

Don't know if that helps?

I agree completely with Garzilla. For me, it's when I'm laying on the couch or in bed watching cartoons. I'll get this funny feeling that won't go away unless I leave it for a while, or I go snuggle with my teddy and suck my paci. You should try to resist the urges in public though. Unless you're with someone who knows about them, but make sure they will take care of you. But when you're on your own, revel in them. I find it to be one of the best feelings I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukksa View Post
    What if you submit to it out in public?
    How would you act?
    Why am I asking all of these questions? :P terribly sorry for flossing with questions I'm just quite interested and curious.
    What if I submit to it out in public?

This is probably a good place to identify that my regression, and likely true for most, is it a sudden and stark experience. That is, if regression is triggered I don't just turn into an infant or 2 year old, and thus would never have any business being out in public alone.

I do often experience some level of regression while out in public. This can take some management but then most of the time I can also just let it happen. For me walking into a toy store or into a toy department of a larger store is one of those places that I know my inner child will start to come out. The chance to stop and play and to test out the toys is nearly irresistible. So if I need to remain fully in adult mode these are places that I avoid or that I exercise immense willpower in dealing with. My ex wife and even a girlfriend often pointed out how I seemed to just turn into a kid when around a toy store. This is because I had experienced some level of intermittent regression. I can be around toys and not play, or be a kid, but it is hard.

Build a Bear is another example of places that trigger my regression. It is hard to walk by one but walk in and it is a different story, I simply don't want to leave. In the last year this has happened at least twice where I was at a mall with friends and family members. We walked in and I had a hard time because the magic of that place seems to consume me completely.

Most of the time there is but there are times, like in Build a Bear that maintaining some control is tough. Still, there are many times when a small bit of my inner child will just be apparent. So it is hard to completely hide when it happens.

I can not just turn it on or off. If I start to regress my only hope is to manage the situation. Most often this is a matter of just consciously walking on or even avoiding some places or things. If it can't be avoided I will try to control the outward manifestation of the regression as much as possible. I remember my sister pretty much having to drag me out of Build a Bear a couple of times.

I'm sure there are. There are a bunch of triggers for me and it would stand to reason that other people would experience there own trigger, or triggers. For some the sole trigger might just be when diapering or spotting his or her own pacifier.

Triggers can be very widely varied. Along with pleasant things, unpleasant things like abuse, conflict, fear, anger and other similar things might trigger regression. Some types of conflict and abuse certainty cause me to regress hard. Smells can also easily trigger regression in some. For me certain smells tied to Christmas will do it, but most other smells do not trigger regression for me.

The point is that we are all different, have different experiences, memories, needs and emotional circumstances so it is more than clear that regressive triggers will be very widely varied.

How would you act?

For the most part I have already covered this. It really depends on the situation for me. Regression triggered by conflict or forms of abuse, basically anything that reminds me of some of the most painful bits of my childhood, result in me seeing a safe place that is quiet, if diapers are available I most certainty will diaper and I will seek out one of my special plushies. There will likely be tears. This is one time that managing the situation, other than to create that protective isolation, will not ease the regression.

If toys or other children are the trigger I mostly just play.

Sometimes the trigger plays a role in my regressive behavior, but not all the time. Some of my other behaviors while regressed would be how I refer to things, how I talk or even if I talk, sometimes I will want to just cuddle. There are a lot of things that can happen for me although I must feel safe in doing them which is often not the case, I am a very shy baby.

Anything Else

This is something that could technically affect anyone, an interest in diapers or other baby things need not be present. I'm not sure how common it is but I would suspect pretty common, although I would say that the degree of any regressive feelings or even behaviors will vary widely and is likely very mild for most. In any case it would be very interesting to know how.

People that know me pretty well, especially for a long time, have see some of the outward signs of my regression but it is not all that obvious that I have regressed because they simply do not now what I am thinking and how I am feeling. I suspect that most would simply say that I like to play, I enjoy children or maybe even that I often let my inner child out.

Hopefully all of this has been at least mildly helpful.

Mukksa

Wow thank you you definitely have done a lot more than I expected anyone to do when it comes to explaining things. Most people would normally just say something short and sweet but you went ahead and elaborated, and I happen to like that because like I always say, (maybe not in this site though :p) the more information the better. You have definitely helped me and I thank you kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Mukksa View Post
    Wow thank you you definitely have done a lot more than I expected anyone to do when it comes to explaining things. Most people would normally just say something short and sweet but you went ahead and elaborated, and I happen to like that because like I always say, (maybe not in this site though :p) the more information the better. You have definitely helped me and I thank you kindly
    Well you asked so I felt it was only proper to answer. And you are very welcome.