Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has your AB/DLism been blamed on your disability or mental illness?

Default Has your AB/DLism been blamed on your disability or mental illness?

Back in 6th grade, my obsession with diapers was blamed on my Asperger's. I bet if the psychiatrist was aware of the whole infantilism thing and the diaper fetishism thing, he wouldn't have blamed it on that. But yet he also said it had to do with my childhood and diapers bring me back to it so he got that part right. But the other part he got wrong. Then in high school, my psychologist I was seeing also blamed it on it because it's such a uncommon interest and people on the autism spectrum have uncommon interests. But he knew there were people out there into this too and he knew about infantilism. But yet he still blamed it on it even though I told him some NTs are into this too.But yet he still thought it was part of my condition that made me be into this and like diapers.

I suppose it's possible to have diapers and infantilism as a special interest and always do research on it and read about it and spend time with it a lot online and watching TV shows about it and googling it to find it at other places where people talk about it on none AB/Dl forums and searching about it on Yahoo Answers. But hey us AB/DLs do this right? So it be pretty darn hard to tell if someone is doing this because of their autism. Same as if you try and take it away from them, even none autistic AB/DLs would be upset about it too and also be unhappy and possibly feel suicidal and deal with the urges inside them. But it all depends on the person. Some may handle it better than others. Some on the spectrum may handle this all fine while some others may not. I fought at age 17 about this but that was just me being a normal teenager. I wanted more freedom and wanted my way like most teens do. I did silent treatments, ignored my mother, felt all depressed and lost inside about it. My psychologist told me I was using manipulation but the truth was I was so mad at her so I never wanted to speak to her again. I viewed her as a bigot, closed minded person and I don't tolerate such people and her trashing this felt like she was trashing me because it was part of me.

So has your AB/DLism ever been blamed on your disability or mental illness or anything?

bigbabyderek2012

i feel the same way that my family and all the doctors in the past never seen a case like mine so they labeled my condition as transvestic fetishism when really it was called infantilism and i also have a Asperger's which is a form of autism and my current therapist believes that it is not uncommon for someone like me to like diapers and acting like a toddler but all the doctors i went to in the past shot around with diagnosing me but it took me printing out information about it and sharing it with my primary doctor and therapist about my infantilism and my obssession with the diapers and they say as long as it doesn't affect my pyschical health that i should be fine with wearing the diapers and age playing but when my mother found out she was upset and was going to disown me but i told her many time to make her see that this is the way i am and she just argued saying that it is not normal for someone like me to wear diapers because my stepdad and her threatened to commit me if things didn't stop so i got kicked out of the house and was forced to stay in the hospital for eight weeks until a place was found for me to live and that is when i met my current therapist who understands my condition and doesn't blame me for my mental illnesses or disabilities.

They were probably not wrong.

There are studies indicating that fetishism and "abnormal" or "extreme" sexuality is more often found in people with autism and Aspergers syndrome, than normal.

volvic

My childhood psychologist never mentioned to my foster parents anything about nappy fetishism they just thought it was apart of childhood trauma, can you really have a nappy fetish when your nine years old? I went to a special school and used to steal incontinence pads from the storage room and wear them at home.

Considering none of therapist know about it they have not had the opportunity to put blame for it anywhere, though I do have some disabilities aspergers, sensory integration, anxiety issues, and extreme OCD. So would they call them a contributing factor I don't know I would hope not in a negative way anyway though it would be interesting if a correlation existed from a scientific stand point.

Smile

Well... my therapist thinks that my extreme anxiety caused me to feel "unsafe" and/or "unloved" and somehow see diapers as a way to return to a state when I was given more attention and was free from adult (or even toddler-ish) responsibilities... :-/

I've always felt that the attraction to diapers (very generally and not necessarily always perfectly) can be split into two groups: fetishists and those using it as an emotional coping mechanism. It seems clear to me that people with any mental health condition probably need (and have) more coping mechanisms (and more... intense and obscure coping mechanisms) than the average person. So, I'd imagine that having a mental health condition or mental/neurological disability could increase your predisposition to developing AB/DL tendencies (or of unleashing latent tendencies)... But I don't think I'd ever say that would cause it.

Maybe that only applies if you had some kind of mental health issue around the time you were being potty trained... (i.e. a child who is undergoing (or has recently undergone) potty training and who experiences some form of distress "requiring" the discovery of a coping mechanism might be much more likely to become an AB/DL than a 10-year old for whom potty-training would be a distant memory)...?

I wonder if sometimes the distress that people experience is because the world is constantly changing and unpredictable... And yet a diaper is (or should be!) always there; a continual reminder that you are being cared for; an anchor of certainty in a world of uncertainty...?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Well... my therapist thinks that my extreme anxiety caused me to feel "unsafe" and/or "unloved" and somehow see diapers as a way to return to a state when I was given more attention and was free from adult (or even toddler-ish) responsibilities... :-/

I've always felt that the attraction to diapers (very generally and not necessarily always perfectly) can be split into two groups: fetishists and those using it as an emotional coping mechanism. It seems clear to me that people with any mental health condition probably need (and have) more coping mechanisms (and more... intense and obscure coping mechanisms) than the average person. So, I'd imagine that having a mental health condition or mental/neurological disability could increase your predisposition to developing AB/DL tendencies (or of unleashing latent tendencies)... But I don't think I'd ever say that would cause it.

Maybe that only applies if you had some kind of mental health issue around the time you were being potty trained... (i.e. a child who is undergoing (or has recently undergone) potty training and who experiences some form of distress "requiring" the discovery of a coping mechanism might be much more likely to become an AB/DL than a 10-year old for whom potty-training would be a distant memory)...?

I wonder if sometimes the distress that people experience is because the world is constantly changing and unpredictable... And yet a diaper is (or should be!) always there; a continual reminder that you are being cared for; an anchor of certainty in a world of uncertainty...?
    Having autism myself (I believe it's Asperger's, but I never asked specific), you seem quite close to the mark. Diapers, in a way, provide that anchor, as does video games and books, I'm somewhat reclusive as a result, but I don't particularly mind. Having remembered the early years quite well, potty training wasn't fun (age 4, close to 5 when I was finally trained). Basically, I fought tooth and nail to stay in diapers, and to a little kid, those toilets are friggin loud.

Anyway, I don't consider Aspergers as an illness, rater, as a trait instead.

Yes I have long term mental health probs, personality disorder, traumatic stress syndrome, but when my therapist decided to try to find out why I felt this way I told him straight. This is a natural part of me you may not question me or attempt to interfere with a gift that has followed me all my life, if I want to be a baby I will and there is no way you will convince me that it is abnormal! (The room went silent for a bit) His reply rofl was ur getting a bit defensive. I doesn't matter what you suffer you were a baby it was a natural part of you and its come alive again, one pleasure many people will never address. I wish society would stop and look at its problems and conditions and not try to categorise or label things it does not want to understand.

All the best

Simon

Countdown

was dx'd with social anxiety disorder & major depressive disorder when i was 16... the doc took an interest in my interest () & thought maybe the stress from the depression & anxiety issues... didn't think so at the time, don't think so now... just think im a weirdo no longer have depression & social anxiety, though the doc still says i am mentally ill (not gettin into the new dx)... but es not related to my diaperful interest...

as a sidenote, it does seem that a lot of AB/DLs have asperger's / autism... es kinda interesting...

omg rofl Countown U just cured me ha ha. Gonna take me all night to stop laughin