• Windows Phone

2 6.67%
  • Apple iOS

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones

PaddedPuppy

Default Smartphones

I'm going to start a bit of an argument here, but I'm going to be getting a new phone soon, and can't really decide which to go for.

I have had all of them in the past, and liked them all for different reasons, so I'm putting a poll on to vote for what you think is best out of Android, Windows Phone, Apple iOS and BlackBerry. When I check in a few weeks time, whatever has the most votes I will get.

Before anyone says it depends on what the spec is of each phone for how well it will run, I will be getting a reasonably powerful phone no matter which one I was to go for. I'm really asking about the software rather than hardware it runs on.

EDIT: If anyone posts a recommendation for Symbian, I will hunt you down and kill you. Its not on the poll as its so bad it doesn't deserve to be classed as a smartphone platform.

Personally, I'd say Android is my favorite. Some people like the "Simplicity" of iOS though. Galaxy Note II is a killer performance wise, and the SGS-3 is also quite good. Plus, with androids, it's typically pretty hard to shatter your new device into a billion pieces, I bought into the concept of the iPhone 5 being more durable than previous versions...til' I held one. Though, it might be noted - if you get a SGS III or Note II, a case is advisable, not because they break easy, but for some people, the rounded edges makes it weird to hold.

Best part of Androids though: AMOLED. Retina display is trash compared to it.(It has "Brighter Whites", but personally I find that bothersome when the brightness is maxed) Quite a lot harder to actually break the AMOLED display as well.

Blackberry isn't really a thing unless you're looking for security features. Doesn't even touch the surface of other phones. (Heh, not even Windows[Lol])

Considering RIM's financial status you couldn't pay me enough to touch a blackberry these days.

Honestly, which platform is best is entirely based on how you plan to use the phone. I love my iPhone, and I would recommend it for most of my family, but I sure wouldn't recommend to those who like to tinker with their devices.

Honestly, if any of the Android phones that were out when I got first iPhone had been workable for me I would have gotten one instead of an iPhone.

I'd recommend either an Android device or iPhone, with a slight leaning towards the iPhone if you currently own an iPod Touch (and only because of the obvious can use the apps you already have on it thing :P)

I've used a few Android devices and am fairly comfortable with my decision to stick with the platform, especially with the 4.0+ OS on the newer devices. I'm currently using an absurdly cheap LG Optimus One and it does what I need it to do, and a little more, albeit slowly. I also own a Lenovo Ideapad K1 10 inch tablet with the 3.0 OS installed, and it's quite a fun and powerful little device, despite its less well known manufacturer. And to top it off I just upgraded my girlfriend's Optimus One to a Samsung Galaxy SIIX with the 4.0 operating system, and it's quite a spectacular and zippy experience.

The only problems I've experienced with the software is a side effect of my favourite aspect of Android - it's relative openness. I have downloaded several IOS apps on our Ipod touch without any issues or compatibility confusion or any form of unethical activity, however on the Android platform, you really need to keep vigilant in knowing who you're downloading from - silly cute little apps that are free often come with the price of sneaky additional software installs or intrusive 'pop up' ads in the form of creepy alert boxes.

My only experiences with the Windows mobile platform were actually just yesterday when I tried both Windows 7.5 and 8 phones... they look fine, if a little boring, and even the cheapest devices seem to come with far more storage space than a similar priced Android phone. They don't have nearly the number of apps as the Android or Apple markets, and I'm not sure how much traction Microsoft is really going to get trying to compete in this field.. I think Microsoft has really lost its way in the last few years.

Blackberry is a sinking ship, and I don't think anyone should be wanting to board that boat when it's taking on water at this pace. Only mindlessly patriotic Canadians, and some scared business people really want a Blackberry device these days. When RIM tries to make concessions to compete in the open market, their shareholders get squeamish and their stock price falls, so they're basically screwed.

in my opnion the 3 top contenders are the best vary on the hardware purpose and application in that order windows Phone/Windows Mobile is #3, and android @#2 and iOS at #1 (despite i dont own an iphone,) but in my option and experince with android is ok. but not enough to super impress.
    Last edited by Dracaris; 27-Dec-2012 at 05:56.

Default Re: Smartphones

Android 100%. I had an evo 4G shift and now have a Samsung Galaxy S3. Android is capable of doing more than iPhones, and you don't have to worry about iTunes to get stuff from your computer to your phone (how is that "simpler?"). I used to think that iPhones are the way to go with smart phones for the technologically challenged, but my parents both have android and can use them just fine. I don't see how iPhones are any easier to use. If anything, their file systems/ transfer is more confusing! Android also has a lot more free apps. (Some of them are ad enabled then, compared to the iPhone version, but it's free. Plus, I have an ad blocker since I'm rooted.)

That's another point. If you jailbreak an iPhone, you can pretty much do what any android phone can do. If you root an android phone, you can do even more!

Now, I do have a lot of friends with iPhones that LOVE them. They tend to be less techy people, in my personal experience. They are not bad phones at all. They are very trendy and extremely well marketed, which is why they can be so overpriced. That's my biggest gripe about then. I'd respect Apple products so much more if they were 2/3 if the current prices.

I don't mean to set off anyone who likes their apple products, but I just personally never intend to waste any more money on an over hyped box that can be sold for $100 more than it's worth because it has a shiny apple logo on it...

Android, with my droid razr

At one point i might have suggested windows too but after using their Tablet i am sticking to Android. Windows just locks down to much stuff to be useful for me and same goes with with apple.

For blackberry....pfff-HAHAHAHAH.

I used to be a big Android fanboy. I had the HTC Dream (G1) when it first came out, and it was amazing. I then got an iPhone 3G, followed by the Samsung Galaxy sII - and this is what really turned me against Android. I liked the look of the phone, but it didn't run very well, was very laggy (despite it's dual core processor) and the battery life was shocking. I now have a iPhone, and I think I will stick with it for 2 main reasons: 1- the simplicity of ios, it works very well, does everything I need it to very efficiently, and is just a nice environment. 2- Apple's warranty and service is fantastic; when I has my SII, I had to send it back to samsung though my provider, and my issue never got resolved after weeks and weeks of it being away - when you take a problem to Apple, they sort it out then and there, or give you a new phone.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to be a big Android fanboy. I had the HTC Dream (G1) when it first came out, and it was amazing. I then got an iPhone 3G, followed by the Samsung Galaxy sII - and this is what really turned me against Android. I liked the look of the phone, but it didn't run very well, was very laggy (despite it's dual core processor) and the battery life was shocking. I now have a iPhone, and I think I will stick with it for 2 main reasons: 1- the simplicity of ios, it works very well, does everything I need it to very efficiently, and is just a nice environment. 2- Apple's warranty and service is fantastic; when I has my SII, I had to send it back to samsung though my provider, and my issue never got resolved after weeks and weeks of it being away - when you take a problem to Apple, they sort it out then and there, or give you a new phone.

I prefer phones running MS OS's even before Windows Phone. (Windows Mobile etc.). Beware that Blackberry is releasing their latest OS later this month, the BB10.

iPhone all the way, like people said im not too techy. But I like the 4s it's fast enough for what I need, has an alright camera generally good for a traveller... Mates have a mixture of the two and I wouldn't mind owning an android just so happens I have an iPhone!