Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever had their pics stolen? is there anything you can do about it once its done?

Default Has anyone ever had their pics stolen? is there anything you can do about it once its done?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone on here had ever had any of their photos stolen and posted elsewhere like tumblr or 4chan or any other sites?

A couple of my old ones have popped up here and there over the last few months on a few abdl tumblrs, and tonight to my horror i stumbled across one that had made its way onto a handful of troll sites.

Short of giving me the 'this is why you shouldn't have face pics online' speech (heard it before, really don't have the patience to hear it again) has anyone ever had any luck pulling things off sites?

Also, sorry in advance for the array of terrible grammar and punctuation, writing was never my strong suit.

There's nothing you can do if its on troll sites like 4chan, something awful, etc. The best thing you can do is flatout ignore it. The worst thing to do is make a comment like "This is my photo, I command you to take it down!" as they will harass you even more.

I never upload a photo online I wouldn't want being seen by friends and family. Not to say I won't upload embarrassing pictures of myself like say looking stupid on a roller coaster but nothing like getting a diaper change, etc.

Sadly, once things are getting posted on major imageboards like that, it's out of your hands. Realize those photos effectively get taken down every time a thread reaches the end of its life, and then when it reappears again, it's some individual uploading it again. Even if the moderators of such sites actually even made any real effort to clamp down on blatant misuse of images, it would be a fruitless endeavor given the nature of how those sites work.

What gets posted on the internet, stays on the internet. Forever. It's merely a question of where and how easily people can find it.

Once something is online, in almost all cases, it is permanently online, and you will never have success in getting rid of it. Especially once a photo is shared multiple places, it is not only on these sites, but on servers, computers, cached/saved/lookback services, etc.
    I have never posted personal photos of myself online, but being a photographer, and sharing all my photos online, means having a realistic approach to were the photos end up. If one of my photos is stolen and posted on a random messageboard, to me that is no lose, because this person would not have purchased one of my photos anyway. Now, if one of my photos ended up in a magazine without my permission, then it is time to call the lawyers.

You can draw the line to wherever you want it. You cant do much about a bunch of random messageboards (you can but a waste of time), but if your photos end up on something like a pay site, then you obviously should demand them to delete your photos.

I wouldnt worry about people you know finding the photos of you. Unless they are a ab/dl searching for these kind of photos, they will probably never see them. How many billions of photos are online, so what are the odds? Even if they do find them, you can very easily just laugh and use the old "damn photoshop people" type of lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I never upload a photo online I wouldn't want being seen by friends and family. Not to say I won't upload embarrassing pictures of myself like say looking stupid on a roller coaster but nothing like getting a diaper change, etc.
    This. Anything that could come back to haunt me I'd never upload. I rarely take pics anyway.

Default Re: Has anyone ever had their pics stolen? is there anything you can do about it once its done?

There's small print that you probably didn't read. (South Park reference: Ever see the Human Centipad episode?) Any and everything you put online is like posting it for everyone in the world. Unless you have a personal cloud account.

It's like media vs disgruntled celebrities, anytime they are in public they make themselves available to be harassed by paparazzi and ect.

Making your photo available to one person to see could be a gateway to your demise.

How far can it go? Who knows? Just think before you do next time. (Goes for anyone reading this thread.)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It would seem that pretty much what everyone else has said is the case, you are unlikely to have any success in your efforts to get the images removed. Then if you are they often reappear.

However, as long as you are the copyright holder (you are automatically in the US if you took the picture and it was not a work for hire). You can send, or have an attorney send, a cease and desist letter with a demand that the photo be taken down. With this you can demand up to $1000 (if I recall the proper amount) for the unlawful use of the photo. If you had previously registered the photo with the USPO there is no limit I that amount. The use of an attorney is good because this will sometimes scare the site owner enough to take some action.

The gotcha is that the site must be hosted in the US or be under a US Treaty that includes copyright.

In some cases is can also go to a host or a registrar, either has the power to take the site down. Although this is on the unusual side I have seen cases where GoDaddy has taken action.

In the end you will be lucky to have the image removed although it could end up a nice little money maker if they pay for the violation, which is sadly unlikely.

i have had my pics stolen on tumblr if you create an acocunt on tumblr and contact them they will ask you to send you a picture of yourself holding up a sign that says this is me tumblr and if the picture matches you they will take it down from all the blogs that it has been reposted in as well as the original one. I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    It would seem that pretty much what everyone else has said is the case, you are unlikely to have any success in your efforts to get the images removed. Then if you are they often reappear.

However, as long as you are the copyright holder (you are automatically in the US if you took the picture and it was not a work for hire). You can send, or have an attorney send, a cease and desist letter with a demand that the photo be taken down. With this you can demand up to $1000 (if I recall the proper amount) for the unlawful use of the photo. If you had previously registered the photo with the USPO there is no limit I that amount. The use of an attorney is good because this will sometimes scare the site owner enough to take some action.

The gotcha is that the site must be hosted in the US or be under a US Treaty that includes copyright.

In some cases is can also go to a host or a registrar, either has the power to take the site down. Although this is on the unusual side I have seen cases where GoDaddy has taken action.

In the end you will be lucky to have the image removed although it could end up a nice little money maker if they pay for the violation, which is sadly unlikely.
    That only works if the person that stolen the pictures Live in the USA. If they are out of country let say China or another country your out of luck. Unless they made International law that can convict the person with the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    That only works if the person that stolen the pictures Live in the USA. If they are out of country let say China or another country your out of luck. Unless they made International law that can convict the person with the pictures.
    Hello, did you read my post? I specifically stated "The gotcha is that the site must be hosted in the US or be under a US Treaty that includes copyright."

There are ways of going after people in other countries sometimes, although it can be tricky and is generally not the easiest thing to say the least.