Thread: Really interested in Abena products these days...

Default Really interested in Abena products these days...

Alright, I guess I'll just cut to the chase. I'm really interested in trying some new diapers, and a brand that I have recently become very interested in is Abena.

What really piqued my interest was the M4 , and it seems to have a pretty big following in the AB/DL community. I have a few questions though.

1) about how big is a case of Abena diapers? I'm planning on ordering a full case (42 diapers) from Agecomfort.com , as it qualifies me for free shipping in Canada. With a promo code I can get the diapers shipped to my door for $60 taxes in.

I'm going to be getting a P.o box at the local post office which is about a 3 or 4 minute walk from my house, and I'll be carrying the box back here (Don't have a car at the moment..).

2) I'm usually a cloth-backed guy, but have worn plastic backed before. I find that the plastic-backed diapers are more absorbant, but they don't really breathe as well as I'd like. Is this the case with Abena diapers? When I wear depends I sweat like crazy if I'm either bit warm.

3) Are they really "that" thick? I plan on using these as everyday diapers and was wondering if they are really as bulky as everyone says. I don't mind wearing bulky diapers under my clothes, but if they make it very difficult to walk, I'll probably have to find a way around that.

4) Agecomfort.com also stocks molicare diapers and I've heard a lot of talk about those too. Are they the same quality as Abena?

Sorry for these questions. I know some have been beaten to death, but I really want some specific answers. I'll be ordering these after Christmas as far as I know.

-Ron

2) I found they new only have the cloth backed product available even if the packet doesn't have air plus on it, I have also found these cloth backed ones to be basically worthless as the tapes don't stick for long and even without flooding they leaked all over the place, basically I think they should be avoided unless the place you are ordering from can guarantee they will supply the plastic backed product or refund with no return costs if like me you find Abena have substituted the plastic backed for the cloth backed - sorry they really used to be excellent when they were plastic backed.

3) Yes they are thick so you would have a noticeably padded bumby and front but I could always walk around in them without doing the toddler waddle as the hour glass shape was well thought out.

4) Molicare Super Plus (still plastic backed from my experience) I found were more absorbent (talking about extra heavy or double wettings) than the Abena and seem to have a bit more padding on the wings, they are shaped a bit differently with the tapes spaced further apart on each wing meaning the thicker your legs are the more careful you need to be when taping up as these also have the unforgiving double tape system. The plastic is pinky coloured with purple lines on them BTW.

Have you tried the Wellness briefs?

I haven't really tried any high quality diapers before, I've only used store-bought brands and I feel as though now I am in a situation where I can spend a few extra dollars and get some nicer diapers.

The company that I am buying from says that they still have the plastic-backed M4's in stock. I'd like to try molicare as well though, but I'm unsure of which brand to try first.

-Ron

M4's are thick. My suggestion would be to order a sample pack and try them before ordering a full case.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    M4's are thick. My suggestion would be to order a sample pack and try them before ordering a full case.
    I would order a sample pack if I could, but I don't know where to get one in Canada? Also, the reason I am ordering them by the case is for the free shipping. If I were to order a single pack of them, with the shipping added in the purchase would still cost almost as much as the full case.

-Ron

Yeah, the M4's are thick. I find the plastic-backed M4's to be well fitting and very comfortable. I do sweat in them but, for me it really isn't that bad. They are one of my favorite diapers. I would recommend them. Molicare's are good to, not as good as the M4's in my opinion but, fit nicely, for me anyway.

Abenas also tend to run a little large, so if mediums are normally just right, the Abena medium might be a little too big. I find that's more a problem than bulk per se, since a looser diaper will tend to sag and wad up more in the crotch when wet, and that'll blow your cover way faster than a large butt.

I bought a case (3 packs) of M4s once and the box was BIG, but carryable. I wouldn't want to carry it a great distance but I could if I needed to. A 3-4 minute walk shouldn't be much of a problem.

I didn't notice any particular issues with heat/breathability, compared to cloth-backed (I was wearing mainly cloth-backed Lille/Kendalls at the time) but then, I live in a country where heat is very rarely an issue. There's a reason British homes never have air-conditioning; it wouldn't be switched on more than one or two days a year.

Yes, they are THAT bulky. I wore one to work once and I felt so conspicuous, I swore I'd never do it again. It was most certainly bulky enough to show through my trousers. But because of the way it's shaped, it's not at all uncomfortable.

I consider Molicare to be equal in quality to Abenas but even the most absorbent of the Molicare range is nowhere near the capacity of an M4. It's rated to nearly 4 litres* - more than double the capacity of the top Molicare.

*capacity rating = how much liquid the entire diaper absorbs under controlled testing - the amount it will hold through normal use will be less because it's more concentrated in one spot.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    1) about how big is a case of Abena diapers? I'm planning on ordering a full case (42 diapers)...
    I just chucked out the old box, but it was about 30 x 40 x 50 cm.
    EDIT: Just received a few cases of plastic-backed M4s (woo!) and they are 28 x 39.5 x 54 cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    3) Are they really "that" thick? I plan on using these as everyday diapers and was wondering if they are really as bulky as everyone says. I don't mind wearing bulky diapers under my clothes, but if they make it very difficult to walk, I'll probably have to find a way around that.
    They're not that thick (I mean... they're thick, but not as much as they used to be and the padding is very soft and flexible). I'm exceptionally cautious about wearing outside the house, but even I've worn one to the shops a few times (but it's freezing here -- I wouldn't do that under summer clothes!). The M3s are almost as absorbent, but the padding at the top-front of the diaper is narrower so walking is easier. Unfortunately they're only available with furry-plastic-cloth backing now...

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    2) I found they new only have the cloth backed product available even if the packet doesn't have air plus on it...
    I think Abena are still producing plastic-backed Abenas, but only the M4 & L4s, although some places only appear to have the furry-plastic-cloth-backed versions... And confusingly, the packaging and model numbers are the same as the plastic-backed and furry-cloth-backed. And more confusingly, with the Air-Plus range, Abena now have two almost identical ranges of furry diapers and no (or a limited) range of plastic-backed...

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    I have also found these cloth backed ones to be basically worthless as the tapes don't stick for long and even without flooding they leaked all over the place, basically I think they should be avoided unless the place you are ordering from can guarantee they will supply the plastic backed product or refund with no return costs if like me you find Abena have substituted the plastic backed for the cloth backed - sorry they really used to be excellent when they were plastic backed.
    I pretty much agree with you there. They're more "discreet" (no crinkles and easier to move around in), but they don't "work" as well, they sag and you need to wear underwear over them to hold them up. Booooo!
    Last edited by tiny; 19-Dec-2012 at 13:53.