Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am from Sandy Hook

Default I am from Sandy Hook

I am struggling to come to terms with what happened at my elementary school. why my town, why my old school, why innocent first graders? I am a person of faith, but struggle to see God's purpose in such reckless carnage. I have not been able to get back to Newtown yet and wont be until after christmas. I am with my AB boyfriend for now, but he chooses to cope with tragedy like this by blocking out all information about it and has been an emotional stick in the mud.

Some emotional support would be appreciated, as would be some prayers if you are so inclined.

BigC300

Default I am from Sandy Hook

This is so sad, there are no words to make sense of this. A British newspaper says the shooter's mother was paranoid that the world is coming to an end. Totally insane behavior. If a police officer had been stationed in the school or the principle had been armed, some of the lives might have been saved. Americans will not allow the Congress to disarm them no matter how many of these horrific tragedies occur.

Just remember this... God did not create evil! Evil and darkness have always been around. Darkness is not opposite of light, it is the ABSENCE of it light, and evil is not the opposite of good, it is the ABSENCE of good! Evil is where God is not! God did not want or cause this horrible tragedy, evil did!

As BabyJessi said, God did not want this to happen, Evil people/beings did, but the better question now might be what good can come from the aftermath. Evil triumphs when good people do nothing so maybe some good people need a "wake-up call". As people of faith are we not supposed to do his works here on earth? Are we supposed to do nothing while the ones like those that paln tragidies like this go about their business?

All it would have taken is one person doing something differently to prevent or limet the damage done by this, be it the mother lockng up her guns or getting help for her son to someone, be it a police officer, guard, or teacher having a gun and the ability to use it.

Sorry if I am lacking in emotional support, but my chruch prayed for those lost and the ones left behind in this tragedy. I personally, while feeling a bit of the sting, hope that those kids are now in God's loving embrace and their familes remember the good times they had and will be reunited with their loved ones someday.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJessi View Post
    Just remember this... God did not create evil! Evil and darkness have always been around. Darkness is not opposite of light, it is the ABSENCE of it light, and evil is not the opposite of good, it is the ABSENCE of good! Evil is where God is not! God did not want or cause this horrible tragedy, evil did!
    I don't like this who "Gods Will" thing and I'm a believer myself.

We can't say "God wanted you to win/suceed at ____" then on the other hand say "God didn't want this to happen." God of all things, shouldn't be playing both sides of the fence/field here.

Also people speaking on behalf of god, rather laughable.

Regardless of my differing faith or inclinations to what I think God does or doesn't do, it was terrible tragedy. In absence of our knowing the greater mystery of deity, it makes it hurt more as it doesn't seem at all just.

In spite of all out differences though, we as a global community are together on this. You're not alone.

I'm not sure how useful my prayer would be for you, but my religious community is planning on sending thoughts to those involved.

Best regards.

-Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Also people speaking on behalf of god, rather laughable.
    I totally agree that people need to be cautious about speaking on God's behalf. But there is an important need for people to understand what happens in their life in relation to their religious beliefs, and that includes at least speaking about, or if nothing else speculating about, God's will. After all, it makes a very big theological and personal difference whether one believes that the death of one's loved one was the will and action of God or that it was a human transgression of God's will. The mystery of faith is that even as inscrutable as God's will can be at times, we are still compelled to seek resolution and find an answer.

When it comes to the hardest situations, such as this one, it seems no answer really satisfies, and I think we need to be very cautious about speaking for God. But even if we can't see how things work out on the small scale of individual events, faith holds onto a hope of greater things. As Paul writes, "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who are called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28). One may look to the way that things work together in a greater, universal scale, and there I think it not only fair but appropriate to speak of God's will.

To the OP, I don't think the right question is "What's God's purpose in this reckless carnage?" I think the question is, "Now that it's happened, how will God yet bring life from a lifeless situation?"

everyone assumes that when someone dos something it is because god wills it to happen. but god dosent control people like puppets on the end of a string. people are crual. people do things because they feel like it or usuall in most cases they do thse things because ther crazyor mentally handicappd not because god told them to do it ok

Default your thinking with a human mind.

We are here to grow and learn we have ever lasting life we are beings of light we came here to feel what it is to live in this form. We will grow in the light it takes thousands of years.
    But we will .Our soul is what god is like and looks like that is us God bless as with them.
    And is with us every moment God has never left us any one .God and the angels are taking care of them.Do you not think every possible thing that can happen in your life is not know.
    Before you came it is.You do not remember what you wanted to learn this life.You could not
    Live it if you remremembered. We are all Gods children. living a play teaching all of creation.
    What it is like to human. Love one another be kind help others . There is one rule what you do you will experience. In the life review when we pass we experience what we did how it felt as if we were the one that it was done to . So Hitler felt what it was like to be killed millions of times . So you can't win cheating others. Live and love others. If every one can do this things will change it takes time. Send love and light to those that suffer and to the ones that make the suffering. Take this day to see what you can do to help others that could do this get feel better stop the bullies help the down trodden. Work for the good of others not just how much money or power you can get out of it. Sorry love to you all

Quote Originally Posted by ManicMunchkin View Post
    To the OP, I don't think the right question is "What's God's purpose in this reckless carnage?" I think the question is, "Now that it's happened, how will God yet bring life from a lifeless situation?"
    Kinda reminds me of this part of Watchmen.

pretty much saying that every bad thing can have a silver-lining.
    Last edited by Fire2box; 18-Dec-2012 at 07:55.