Thread: Cloth Diapers

Default Cloth Diapers

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered myself a couple of cloth diapers, I got one night weight prefold and one velcro contour diaper.
    So far im really liking them. The prefold definitly feels different from any other diaper ive tried but it is THICK.
    If anyone else is thinking about giving cloth a try DO IT. Just dont get discourged on the prefolds, it takes a bit to get the hang of folding them right.

I've been wanting to try cloth diapers for the longest time now, but I'm really intimidated by the prefolds. I feel like it's so much work and the slightest miscue will throw it all off...so I guess I'm just going to stick with disposables, unfortunately.

I'm using a contour diaper with a night-time prefold inside at night held together by a snappi. It is nicely thick and babyish, and it holds a lot and works well. This can solve the problem of "folding the prefold". Also, I use a toddler size diaper liner which makes cleaning up a mess a lot less work. On another note, I've switched to PUL pants and they feel great and the fact that they can be dried in a dryer is a great plus.

Default Cloth Diapers

I've thought about going with cloth, but I am not sure of a good place to buy them. Also I don't do we'll with pins, poor hand dexterity, so I would need some that I can either Velcro or pull on. If you have ideas I would be welcome to them.

Congratulations on your jump to cloth. I love cloth, and have been using some terry towels from Walmart with plastic pants. I'm curious, where did you buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by AgedLego View Post
    I've thought about going with cloth, but I am not sure of a good place to buy them. Also I don't do we'll with pins, poor hand dexterity, so I would need some that I can either Velcro or pull on. If you have ideas I would be welcome to them.
    firstly, with folds, for non-immobiles, folding into a basic V-shape will suffice (once the narrow part is placed over your front, just pull out the pointed bit to spread around your waist). for babies, a nappy square is sometimes folded down into a square and made into a V-shape, thus:

but you needn't fold down if you select the correct size nappy/towel, and the basic shape can be applied to the typically rectangular standard towel.
    naturally, you can double the thickness (2 towels) or boost/stuff as you wish.

afixing a nappy without pins, for an adult, can be easily acheived by using mini-bungees,

and afixing in any combination you wish (especially as they tend to come in multi-packs).
    the end of the hook can be filed into a point for easier and more secure fixing.
    a plus is that the elastication allows you pull the nappy down quickly, if need be (since not everyone dumps in their nappy) and then, pulled up again without much fuss.

i also use nappy liners, bought as 'frost protection fleece', on a roll,

or as a blanket; both are then cut to size. it's the same material as used with traditional nappies and in disposable nappies for lining the inside of the nappy. wash and dry the material first, to soften it, and if you double the material, you get a nice silky feel when you walk.

Quote Originally Posted by AgedLego View Post
    I ordered them from babykins. they have prefolds, velcro and pullons. They were a great company to deal with and i would definitly order from them again.

I got my contour diapers and prefolds from BabyPants, good quality and reasonable prices. They don't have velcro, but I have seen posts that velcro can cause issues when washing. I started using pins, but have switched to the Snappi which BabyPants also supplies.

For waterproof pants, I have switched to PUL. The only site that I have found, so far, that handles them is Adult Cloth Diaper company. They also have adult-size diaper pails and disposable liners.

I think you will find that using cloth is more environmentally friendly, more babyish, and works better than most diapers, especially for nighttime when appearance is not a big issue.

For both these sites the company shown on credit card bills and their return address is discrete and can not be recognized as AB. They also both ship rapidly (usually no more than 1 week from order to receipt in the U.S.).

Most of the time, prefolds are my diaper of choice. They do feel quite a bit different from contoured cloth diapers and disposables -- more "waddle factor," especially! My favorites are the Rearz prefolds, but the Baby Pants prefolds come in a close second. I like pinning, but my preferred fastener is the Boingo.

All that said, I hesitate to recommend prefolds as a first cloth diaper simply because of how different they are. They...
    *) Look very different from disposables
    *) Feel very different from disposables (whether wet or dry)
    *) Usually require some folding
    *) Usually involve pins or other fasteners (not true with pocket covers)
    *) Require separate waterproof pants or covers
    *) Require washing and drying (of course)

All of that can make for a big leap of faith for somebody who hasn't tried cloth before! There are a variety of cute, fitted options out there that seem more likely to appeal to a first-time cloth user. Simple white prefolds identify as very babyish to me, probably because that was what I was raised in, and was what most babies around me in the early 1980's seemed to be wearing. To many others, they're likely just cloth rectangles -- functional, but probably not the most babyish things. To each his (or her) own!
    Last edited by Cottontail; 16-Dec-2012 at 06:20.