Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is this world coming to?

Default What the hell is this world coming to?

I work night shift. My clock radio woke me with this news moments ago.

BREAKING: State police: Students and staff among victims at Conn. elementary school, shooter dead. --- NEWTOWN, Conn. — A shooting at a Connecticut elementary school Friday left 27 people dead, including 18 children, an official said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way. Another official, speaking on condition of anonymity for the same reason, said the gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown was killed and apparently had two guns. A law enforcement official in Washington said the attacker was a 20-year-old man with ties to the school
    Please do not turn this into an anti gun thread. I am not posting this to start an inane political hot button debate and the moment it becomes such I will request it be closed.

Please be respectful and keep the somber air of one speaking near the funeral of one of these children whose carefree spirit we seek to embody.

The purpose of this thread is both to mourn the death of innocence and to discuss the increase of social frustration/madness that seems to be provoking more and more individuals to lash out at others.

Great, two shootings in one week. First at the local mall here and now this. But this was worse than the other one because more people died.

28 no longer with us 20 kids 5-10 years 8 adults sad.

I just heard the latest news conference. The police Lt. said 20 children 6 adults including the children. Another person near the school. We will need to learn
    over thext few days and weeks what is wrong with these people. We need our prayers and thoughts to go out to victom's family's and people of Conn.

My first thought was oh great another high school shooting when I first heard the news then I got physically sick when I heard all the details, I really honestly can not even begin to fathom what is wrong with people

Having no place to turn to, to reconcile their odds with 'normal' society...or maybe genetic issues, who knows for certain??
    Perhaps we need to accept more people, and reject more behaviors??
    Thoughts of harming one's self, or others...doesn't compare to acting on those thoughts...
    If one has nothing to loose, does one have anything to gain?
    I believe that we need more mindfulness...there needs to be a safe place for all to work through the maladjustment, else we continue to pay this high cost.
    We need to stop believing that there is no hope...even if we can't see or understand how there could be any hope...first, start by believing that it's even matter how improbable.
    Do your small part...let these lost lives not be in any further vain...I beg you!

This was heart wrenching to hear about. Words cannot convey my sorrow to these childrens families. Society sickens me.

I haven't felt right all day. Some say the more you hear about this, the more desensitized you get, but I feel the complete opposite. This is what... the third mass shooting this year (Aurora, Sikh Temple, now here)? Every time I've felt even more beat down. This doesn't even include all the other shootings I've heard about this year. It's a complex story, and we don't know everything. It just seems that some people have a breaking point, whatever may trigger it.

Twenty-eight lives. Twenty-eight families. A community. A nation. Shattered.

I don't know what the answer is, even if there is one. I suppose all we can do is mourn, and I find it upsetting that we can't do more. ;_;

In this world we are under a lot of pressure to rise to fame. Those who are susceptible to that pressure have choices, president, athlete, rock star or mass murderer. Sadly the mass media have made the last choice so popular. I can see no easy answer to the problem but I know someone is out there plotting to break the record.