Thread: Economical Homemade Clothing

BigC300

Default Economical Homemade Clothing

Apparently, this company is offering supplies to those interested in making homemade diapers and they are going to be available at a big box retailer near you...

http://youtu.be/G5_ZgoX5i70

I wonder if those supplies would be helpful at all in making adult cloth diapers. Although the people in the store would probably give you an odd eye for measurements on things.

Seems like for the most part, you can already get the correct supplies in the stores cant you?

BigC300

Default Economical Homemade Clothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    I wonder if those supplies would be helpful at all in making adult cloth diapers. Although the people in the store would probably give you an odd eye for measurements on things.

Seems like for the most part, you can already get the correct supplies in the stores cant you?
    I thought you could take these diaper patterns, lay them out and trace around to enlarge them. This company has just made a deal with a major big box retailer to put all these supplies into their stores nationwide so people who are jumping on the cloth diapering bandwagon can find every thing they need to make quality diapers and related accessories.

These supplies are already available in Jo-Ann Fabric stores. Since the material is sold by the yard, no one would be any the wiser to what you were buying it for. If the clerk asks, you could just say that you are making lots of items in getting ready for a craft show. You would have to increase the size of the pattern to fit you (and that may take a little practice).

yeah, like the last time I bought a bolt of diaper flannel, got strange looks from the lady at the counter, as well as a few odd questions, twas several years ago tho

Babyville is actually a Joann department, and the book Cloth Diapers Made Easy is available at Joann. I'm guessing that Joann maybe is the big box outlet responsible for this, and perhaps they are going to make these packs available elsewhere under the Babyville Boutique brand name. In any case, I've not had any strange looks from the folks at Joann when I've asked questions. Usually it's just like buying diapers at the store...the clerks generally don't care why. I might get a funny look though when I start asking for the microfiber material that works so well in my AIOs....I plan on taking one of them in so they can tell me for sure what the material is. That might raise some eyebrows.

As for this being helpful in making adult cloth diapers...it will probably be helpful to a point. The materials they are selling in these packs will be way too small for adult diapers, but the techniques can be applied to making adult diapers. There is a really good article in the "Articles" section here on ADISC about making cloth diapers, and tells the measurements you need to take to fit them to you. There are also some good YouTube videos that walk you through the process of sewing cloth diapers...all you need to do is make a pattern to your own measurements. And yes, all of the supplies mentioned can indeed be purchased at Joann...I've already looked and priced the materials.

We are getting a sewing machine for Christmas, and once I start making my own I'll probably post pics and commentary about my homebrew cloth diapers on my blog.

Have a lot of fun!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTDL View Post
    The materials they are selling in these packs will be way too small for adult diapers, but the techniques can be applied to making adult diapers. There is a really good article in the "Articles" section here on ADISC about making cloth diapers, and tells the measurements you need to take to fit them to you. There are also some good YouTube videos that walk you through the process of sewing cloth diapers...all you need to do is make a pattern to your own measurements. And yes, all of the supplies mentioned can indeed be purchased at Joann...I've already looked and priced the materials.
    Have a lot of fun!!!!
    Jo-Ann's doesn't just sell the small packages of this material, but they have it by the bolt also. So it's not a problem to buy a yard or two of it.