Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb Sucking VS Pacifiers

Default Thumb Sucking VS Pacifiers

Hi Everyone
    Just would like some advise really (a tad embarrassing) since birth at night I have sucked my thumb with a small bit of blanket/cloth (actuality this is not a ab thing just bad habit I've had since I was a baby), recently I have had discomfort on my top two teeth which I think is due to the force of my thumb and at times my thumb gets a bit sore.
    I have tried to stop altogether but then I cant sleep, basically someone has said to me about using a pacifier instead?
    Would this be better than using my thumb? would it be easy changing from thumb sucking to using a pacifier? can I still use my blanket? what do you think just want some advise, as I say its just a really bad habit I've had since I was a baby that I never grew out of. (totally embarrassed now)

This is an ABDL forum, many of us suck our thumbs. I do on occasion, though not out of habit I am trying to make it a bit more of a habit. The force of your thumb? Sounds like you are sucking too hard. Try sucking more gently. But yes, a paci might help, try it. I recommend a 18+ month version. (I use 18-36 month, much cheaper than adult paci's) It's worth a try and if you need to suck something to sleep, try it. Do you actualy use your blanket on your thumb so you are sucking your blanket too? You could do this with a paci I figure.
    Last edited by CuriousOne; 06-Dec-2012 at 22:31.

Embarrassed...seriously...have you read the posts here. lol jokes! I'd say give the paci a try. I sleep with one and find it very enjoyable..but I also love to suck my thumb occasionally..I'd have to say the paci is definitely easier, but even that can leave a slight pressure feeling behind your front teeth at times.

Do you think it would be easy going from thumbsucking to using a pacifier? with the cloth/blanket I have that to my nose while sucking my thumb... (he says still embarrassed lol)
    Whats best to get a babys one or adult one seeing that my thumb is biggish?
    If using a pacifier uses less force on my teeth that would be good plus my thumb wouldn't get sore, I think using my thumb uses a bit of force.
    Have to be honest right now if I went to bed without sucking my thumb and using my cloth I really would not be able to get to sleep.

Well if your thumb is sore you really are sucking on it too hard and it is more likely that you simply need to condition yourself to suck mroe gently. A paci may help.

Frankly, I can't tell if I want to be where you are or not. I kinda like the idea of being unable to sleep without such a thing, but then again, it would be really awkward if I had a situation where I was staying at someone elses house (like my sister so I could watch her kids the next day, etc.)

I was a life time thumbsucker. It took a bit of time for me to switch to my pacifier. I do recommend using an adult one though it will feel better on your teeth. Amazon has the Cheapest nuk 5. When I was switching I started the night out with my pacifier. I would suck it until I just had to have my thumb again. Eventually I didn't want my thumb and just used the binky. I also have to have my blankie somewhere near my face and also I twirl my hair. Those are two must have to go to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ollienappied View Post
    Do you think it would be easy going from thumbsucking to using a pacifier? with the cloth/blanket I have that to my nose while sucking my thumb... (he says still embarrassed lol)
    Whats best to get a babys one or adult one seeing that my thumb is biggish?
    If using a pacifier uses less force on my teeth that would be good plus my thumb wouldn't get sore, I think using my thumb uses a bit of force.
    Have to be honest right now if I went to bed without sucking my thumb and using my cloth I really would not be able to get to sleep.

I really enjoy both, but I usually use my paci because I get to keep both of my hands free. Plus I enjoy the extra feeling against my cheeks too. I heard somewhere that sucking on a paci is better because it distributes the force against more of your teeth so they're less likely to get misaligned, but I don't remember where at this very moment. Also, I do concur with everyone else suggesting to keep the sucking gentle. You're just trying to get milk from the bottle not suck a splinter from your thumb.

Also, I get a little agitated if I can't find my paci, especially if it's time for me to sleep.

Hi Binkygirl
    Defiantly going to try to make the switch, how log did it take for you to get used to it? do you still use your thumb or do you just use the pacifier now? Do you find it easier on your teeth? (sorry for all the questions) Hope I can sleep using it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Ive just bought a Adult Pacifier online (nuk 5 medic) and now just have to wait for it to arrive.
    Really hope I will get used to it compared to my thumb and it wont take long to make the swap from thumb to pacifier.

It took me a few weeks at least. I am not sure exactly. I think the only time that I suck my thumb is if I am sleeping and I can not find my pacifier. But not very often. I try not to use my thumb but sometimes if my pacifier is not around I suck my thumb. I do find it is a little easier on my teeth. And you can ask anything I will answer. I love my binky as Abenaleaf can attest too.

Quote Originally Posted by ollienappied View Post
    Hi Binkygirl

Defiantly going to try to make the switch, how log did it take for you to get used to it? do you still use your thumb or do you just use the pacifier now? Do you find it easier on your teeth? (sorry for all the questions) Hope I can sleep using it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Ive just bought a Adult Pacifier online (nuk 5 medic) and now just have to wait for it to arrive.
    Really hope I will get used to it compared to my thumb and it wont take long to make the swap from thumb to pacifier.

In Europe (at least in Germany) they recommend not letting little kids suck their thumbs for a number of reasons and they actually recommend getting kids, even older kids, pacifiers to help them stop. Good luck getting used to the pacifier, it is a whole different experience and I suspect because you have been a thumbsucker for so long that there will always be a remnant of wanting your thumb rather than the paci. You might also really like the feeling of the pacifier and take to it very quickly, I know I prefer the feeling of soft silicon or even latex over my thumb.