Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips to cut down on wet nights, and leaks.

Default Tips to cut down on wet nights, and leaks.

Hey I just wanted to ask,

Anybody know any tricks to cut down on the number of wet nights you have? I'm really trying to start becoming more proactive at ending my bed-wetting problem. It's come back as of a few months ago due to stress, and it's driving me mad. I'm up to about 4/7 wet nights a week which is rather disappointing.

I know there's things like cutting down on liquids, alarms, etc and would like to know if anyone has had any success in using those methods. The alarm doesn't sound like to much fun, but if it works I may try it. There's always the option of going back to the doctor and going for the medicine, but I despise taking medicines. I just feel like I may be able to solve this one through other means.

Also would anyone know a good site for a mattress protector that's durable? I already have a washable pad but it doesn't cover the whole bed so I still worry.

Thanks for the help,

Jter42

jter42

first let me say, that I'm sorry that you go through this (being a bedwetter)... I've been one for almost my entire life (I'm 33) and also have IC issues (daytime).

If you're certain it's "just" the stress, and you have had a medical check up (urologist) to rule out other possibilities than I'd suggest find a way to reduce the stress-level.
    If it's "psychological" stress, go for some therapy. ... if it's an "outside" issue (work, etc.) try to find a solution.

Alarms. UGH... My parents tried those on my when I was about 10 or 11.... (can't really remember when exactly)... but they were HORRIBLE for myself...
    I woke up, yes I did... but in 99% of the cases I was WET already or in the midst of it and couldn't stop it.... after a few weeks I was pretty much worn out, by being woken twice or thrice a night for most of the nights, having a hard time going back to sleep, as I had to change the PJ, get up and try to do the rest in the toilet, etc... my grades dropped, I was sleepy all the time and worst of all, it didn't stop the bedwetting.
    Now the thing's this, they're supposed to have a rather high success rate (the alarms), not for me though. But it might be worth a try.

Cutting down Liquids is STUPID. I mean, OK, don't drink half a liter before you go to sleep, that'd be stupid on it's own... but you need to keep hydrated... cutting down drinks isn't a good thing for your health.
    But about WHAT you drink: stay away from coke, sprite, etc... also most teas and coffee (if you're a coffee-drinker already). most of these kind of drinks are considered to have a diuertic effect (Read: you need to pee more)... stick with water, some teas (NOT green / black teas mostly), some juices, etc.

Other than that, as mentioned, if you haven't done so already, get an appointment with a urologist... skip the family doc - they know usually not a good deal about Incontinence.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Cutting down Liquids is STUPID. I mean, OK, don't drink half a liter before you go to sleep, that'd be stupid on it's own... but you need to keep hydrated... cutting down drinks isn't a good thing for your health.
    But about WHAT you drink: stay away from coke, sprite, etc... also most teas and coffee (if you're a coffee-drinker already). most of these kind of drinks are considered to have a diuertic effect (Read: you need to pee more)... stick with water, some teas (NOT green / black teas mostly), some juices, etc.
    Basically, avoid anything with caffeine in it. Or alcohol.

I was talking with an Osteopath a day or two ago about this very subject, because I had heard that both Chiropractors and Osteopaths can often assist. A friend of mine who is around 18yrs and has bedwetting problems prompted me to make the enquiry, and the Osteopath said.. oh yes.. he should go. They suggested a Cranial Osteopathy which gentley manipulated the head/skull. If not, they will try skeletal manipulation. - but it is an option worth considering if you have not considered this in the past. I hope you soon are able to sleep a full night without accidents.

It is not advised at all to limit your daily liquid, your kidneys do need water to make their job which is to eliminate protein's wastes, toxins, etc . The more you drink and pee during the day, the less your kidneys will produce pee during the night. So you should drink at least 1.5 litre of water during the morning and afternoon.
    On the contrary, if you don't drink enough during the day, you may be thirsty at diner and evening, and your kidneys will keep producing pee during the night instead of reduce the among. I agree with the previous post it s not a good idea to limit fluid (except caffeine) when you are thirsty.
    So try to dont be thirsty in the evening by drinking plenty water earlier.
    After several days, you will pee less at night so it may help you to reduce your bedwetting.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    jter42

first let me say, that I'm sorry that you go through this (being a bedwetter)... I've been one for almost my entire life (I'm 33) and also have IC issues (daytime).

If you're certain it's "just" the stress, and you have had a medical check up (urologist) to rule out other possibilities than I'd suggest find a way to reduce the stress-level.
    If it's "psychological" stress, go for some therapy. ... if it's an "outside" issue (work, etc.) try to find a solution.

Alarms. UGH... My parents tried those on my when I was about 10 or 11.... (can't really remember when exactly)... but they were HORRIBLE for myself...
    I woke up, yes I did... but in 99% of the cases I was WET already or in the midst of it and couldn't stop it.... after a few weeks I was pretty much worn out, by being woken twice or thrice a night for most of the nights, having a hard time going back to sleep, as I had to change the PJ, get up and try to do the rest in the toilet, etc... my grades dropped, I was sleepy all the time and worst of all, it didn't stop the bedwetting.
    Now the thing's this, they're supposed to have a rather high success rate (the alarms), not for me though. But it might be worth a try.

Other than that, as mentioned, if you haven't done so already, get an appointment with a urologist... skip the family doc - they know usually not a good deal about Incontinence.
    I've seen the doctor a couple time's, and he chalks it up to stress every time. He say's there's nothing wrong with my bladder, or anything else, and that this should go away with time. I'm mainly just stressed about living on my own, paying bills, work, school, etc. I have bad anxiety too so that's definitely not helping.

I've really been considering seeing a therapist recently, it may do some good. I'm a little discouraged about the alarm definitely thought that may be a good option. I'm also going to start watching what kind's of fluids I drink to, that's one thing I haven't payed attention to.

Thanks so much for all the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by itsacurlyone View Post
    I was talking with an Osteopath a day or two ago about this very subject, because I had heard that both Chiropractors and Osteopaths can often assist. A friend of mine who is around 18yrs and has bedwetting problems prompted me to make the enquiry, and the Osteopath said.. oh yes.. he should go. They suggested a Cranial Osteopathy which gentley manipulated the head/skull. If not, they will try skeletal manipulation. - but it is an option worth considering if you have not considered this in the past. I hope you soon are able to sleep a full night without accidents.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I just did some research on this, and it seems very interesting. I may have to look into this if nothing I try starts working within a few weeks. I didn't know that there were methods such as this one to help reduce stress. Going to be doing a good bit of research on this today.

And thanks, I hope I will too!

Back when I was a teen & bedwetting (well that has persisted unfortunately to this very day), my parents tried EVERYTHING... I mean everything.
    From about a dozen different medical doctors (general, urologists, neurologists), to therapists, osteopath (didn't do zing), cranio sacral (which I personally don't believe in at ALL - didn't do dip either), to medications (some worked partially but the side effects were "killing" me), to hypnotherapy (nice experience, meditative state, relaxation, but didn't help at all either), to techno-gadgets (alarm pants, yuck)... to keeping me in cloth diapers (read: feel the wetness when it happens) (I HATE CLOTH DIAPERS), to different diets, etc... at one point I remember being so fed up with all that - I felt like a damn Guinea pig - I basically begged my parents to stop trying so damn hard to cure me and just let it be as it is (diapers)... at that point I wasn't a DL by definition... and I would still love to be rid of the bedwetting and daytime issues I have.

Short: I've tried it all... and nothing worked - but that's just me...
    these days I'm not much of a believer in most of the "alternative esoteric medicine" anyhow.

if it's stress: then find a way to cut that down.
    I don't know what kind of stress you have to deal with - respectively what situation causes you all that stress... but really try to find a way out of this.
    Also Psycho-Therapy can be a really good thing in that case... it can greatly help you to develop ways to deal better with stress and probably prevent a good bit of it.
    Going to a therapist isn't bad at all... quite to the contrary, it can be a great experience by teaching you new stuff about yourself and life.

Hi EPO1, you said "Back when I was a teen & bedwetting (well that has persisted unfortunately to this very day), my parents tried EVERYTHING... I mean everything".
    You were (are) the one who had (has) bedwetting, not your parents. This problem were firstly your, and the way they acted, they didn't give the choice to choose or not a treatment of your bedwetting, to be agree with it so you were involved and not undergo the treatment(s).

Dont get me wrong : I dont say you didnt want to cure your BW, I just say they made the choice for you, disturbing you, and finally pushing you more into the security to wear night time diapers.

For Jter42: I m sure you ll success to stop wetting the bed as long as it s your own decision and you get support from your physician and your parents.
    Being 17, you can treat this problem yourself without the closer's parents support a kid needs.

As a retailer, I have sold bedwetting alarms for many years, and generally the feedback from the parents that have purchased them for their child has been very good. It has to be said that they do not work for everyone, but they certainly can be the answer to the parent's and childs dreams. Many suffer for years, but after just a short time using the product their children are often dry - and they wonder why they have not tried the product previously.

It is not suprising to me that a very small percentage of children do not respond when you hear sometimes how the child is just left to get on with it - without any support from the parent - but that is another story and only happens very occasionally.

The use of bedwetting alarms should not be thought of as 'just an alarm' to wake the child up, The alarm is used to make the body associate the sound of the noise with the sensation of needing to pee and should be considered as a 'treatment' and yes of course they will only work when the sensor gets wet as that is part of the process, so there is a learning curve. Very frequently the child is a heavy sleeper and it is necessary for the parent to wake the child with the alarm still sounding and take them to the toilet to clean up etc. However the brain adapts quite quickly to the noise and successful treatments I believe are in the 85/90% range.

There are two models of the alarm, Wireless - which has become more popular recently and corded version.

Bedwetting alarms are certainly not the answer for everyone, but the success rate is quite high from the feedback received.

I am aware that drinking fluids should be 'normal' and not be reduced, but have also heard that the caffine drinks should be swaped for something else.
    Last edited by itsacurlyone; 06-Dec-2012 at 03:38. Reason: Spelling error

i agree about alarms! they're worth trying. our 6-year-old daughter was bothered by bedwetting and decided to try an alarm. we told her that it might take a while for her body to get the idea. it only took 2 months! she's been a dry sleeper for two weeks now, including the past four days without an alarm. she's rather proud :-)
    Last edited by whisko; 05-Dec-2012 at 23:45. Reason: premature postation