Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Man Spotted Bootless yet again after NYPD officer gives homeless man boots

Default Man Spotted Bootless yet again after NYPD officer gives homeless man boots

Whats everyone's thoughts on this? I feel really bad for this man. I help out when I have the ability to but had gotten spit on a couple of times for giving food instead of money. We really need more officers like this in the world. It really upsets me to see poeple like this and not taking the help were needed. It was reported he sold the boots for whiskey. Im not trying to spark a debate just want peoples opinions.

Here is the news article off yahoo. Please don't flame me mods for providing the link and the news article. I hope I don't get into trouble for posting it.

YAHOO NEWS ARTICLE: Homeless man grateful for boots, but barefoot again | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Homeless man grateful for boots, but barefoot again

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News | The Lookout – 6 hrs ago.. .

A New York City police officer is photographed giving boots to a homeless man on Nov. 14. (NYPD/Facebook)

The homeless man who was photographed being given a pair of boots by a New York City police officer in Times Square on a bitterly cold night last month was spotted on the Upper West Side on Sunday. And he was once again barefoot.

"Those shoes are hidden," Jeffrey Hillman, the 54-year-old homeless man, told the New York Times. "They are worth a lot of money—I could lose my life."

On Nov. 14, NYPD officer Lawrence DePrimo, who was on counterterrorism duty in Times Square, saw Hillman without shoes sitting on 42nd Street. DePrimo, 25, left and then returned with a pair of $100 boots he bought at a nearby Skechers store, knelt down and gave them to Hillman.

The random act of kindness was captured on camera by an Arizona tourist, who emailed the photo to the NYPD. It was then posted on the NYPD's Facebook page and soon went viral, generating more than 600,000 "likes," 47,000 comments and countless warmed hearts.

Hillman—an Army veteran and estranged father of two who said he's spent about 10 years homeless in New York—told the Times he did not remember the photo being taken, but was aware of the attention it's received.

"I was put on YouTube," he told the paper. "I was put on everything without permission. What do I get? This went around the world, and I want a piece of the pie."

"I appreciate what the officer did, don't get me wrong," Hillman continued. "I wish there were more people like him in the world."

He added: "I want to thank everyone that got onto this thing. I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart. It meant a lot to me. And to the officer, first and foremost."

Hillman's brother Kirk lives in Nazareth, Pa., and according to the Daily Mail had not heard from since January.

"We love our brother very much," Kirk Hillman told the Daily News. "Our door is always open to him, but this is a lifestyle he's chosen."

"I was put on YouTube," he told the paper. "I was put on everything without permission. What do I get? This went around the world, and I want a piece of the pie."
    It's sad to see that the homeless man ended up looking for a bigger payout. I understand he thinks he may get robbed on the streets, but seriously, he does not deserve the kindness that this officer placed upon him.

I'm disappointed that he "Wanted a piece of the pie". He was put up on youtube and Facebook not on some elaborate game show.

Just when you think Humanity has hope yet, the guy who receives a gift wants more.

Or mybe he has a drug abuse problem and sold them for heroin? To be honest, no one would choose to go barefoot unless there is some sort of addiction present. I just don't buy the excuse he thought they'd get stolen. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

I thought maybe he was posing as a homeless person and he was panhandling again. Or he could have pawned them off for money because he is that desperate for food.

Lol i love these responses

"How dare a homeless person want a bit of money to survive better how fucking dare they"

Good job adisc you restore me faith in humanity
    ahahahhah seriously though your ethics scare me

Quote Originally Posted by ThatAndyGuy View Post

"How dare a homeless person want a bit of money to survive better how fucking dare they"

You're not actually reading the story. Why does he deserve compensation for his story being posted on the internet? How does that entitle you for compensation?

Well I just read earlier that he was in fact "not homeless" according to the media. What I don't get is why the media (really I know why, I just don't get it. The media gets better ratings if the post over-dramatized/negative things so there is no real reason to present on a single good thing that someone does) won't just let this be an act of kindness, they didn't have to tell all of us how he "wants a piece of the pie" or the fact that hes not homeless.
    Shoeless NYC man isn't homeless after all
    Yeah I get that it's him wanting a piece of the pie... but still, the initial story melted my heart (I almost cried at work from how nice it was too see something so genuinly nice end up in the news) but now... I dunno, its losing its appeal and is going down to the same level as all the other crap in the media.

Thats my rant... sort of

Quote Originally Posted by ThatAndyGuy View Post

Umm, where has anyone suggested this sort of attitude from members of ADISC? On top of this, the guy has the attitude that he should be getting something for all of this--the question is who else has profited from this? If there is profit made off the photo, I can see asking for a share since it was an image of him taken without his knowledge (though considering it was in public the tourist took the photo without needing permission, read up on those laws). Basically, you get a gift and feel you should deserve something more as well?

As it turns out, he's already getting all sorts of handouts and has family willing to help him but chooses to live on the streets instead. How can this be viewed as ADISC people having poor ethics?