Thread: Do you think it's possible you need diapers without a medical reason for them?

Default Do you think it's possible you need diapers without a medical reason for them?

What I mean is do you think people can still need diapers and not have any bladder or bowel problems?

My husband says I need my diapers and my mother has told me she knows it's something I need to do and now she told me last weekend she didn't understand I needed them back then. Now she knows it's part of who I am so she has gotten used to it. I had no idea she was opposed to me wearing them or else she would have threatened to kick me out of her home if I didn't stop and she would have maybe tried to shame me to quit or humiliate me with them to get me to stop but she never did those things so I thought she accepted it despite the fact she didn't like it. Now when I think about it, all the signs were there all along about her not approving it like making comments about me wearing them, telling me she loathes the whole diaper thing and it makes her want to throw up when we talk about it or when she thinks about it, telling me until the diapers are out of her home, I will keep seeing my shrink, not being happy about me bring diapers to Mexico when she found them in my suitcase, telling me she would have been so embarrassed if I brought them to Europe with us, and also telling me I have an addictive personality and I need to wear a pad and me wearing diapers wouldn't be good for my son. Now since living together again, she has not said anything about it. she has ignored it and acted like she doesn't notice a thing and she doesn't slap my butt anymore like she used to. I don't know if that means she approves it. She just told me she didn't understand it then it was something I needed so she was so opposed to it. So why did she tell me back then "I know it's something you need to do" if she didn't know then it was what I needed? My mother often contradicts herself.

So I have been thinking is it possible you need your diapers emotionally or psychologically? Or do you still see it as you don't need them because you don't have a medical condition for you to need them.

What about for convenience? Still need them?

What about if there be no access to the bathrooms? Still need them?

I am thinking "need" is just a subjective word. When I think of needing diapers, I think of incontinence and bladder problems or people with bowel problems. I don't think of urges to wear them or wearing them to relax or to be happy or out of convenience, or to have sexual pleasure or to get turned on for sex so the sex be good and you enjoy it, or something you like doing and if you never do it, it just causes you distress and depression and other issues. I only think of incontinence and other forms of it.

I would say there are different degrees of needs. Where any specific thing ranks for any individual is rather subjective. Quite obviously a baby needs a diaper. Yet we as adults have a much less apparent need. Most of all human goals can be distilled to simply be seeking their own survival, happiness, and fulfillment. Whatever one can do to accomplish these things,is necessary, and what ever they require to make it happen is a need. So if for your own fulfillment, happiness, and stability you require a diaper, it is a need you have and must fill.

But at the most basic level, people want to at least survive and function. Most people place the need for diapers here, whether it be for a baby or someone who is IC. In order for them to function there is a physical need which most people understand. When people say you do not need diapers, they view this as their only use.

It is however with humanity's ultimate goal, happiness that diapers take priority with you. Your psychological health depends on their use. You may not die without them, but that does not mean you don't need them. For you it could mean the difference e between finding peace and balance or being taken by obsession or depression. It is best to take these things in balance and moderation so as to allow you to focus on the more important things, and not be driven into the bad.

That's just my take. I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I am thinking "need" is just a subjective word.
    I think that pretty much sums it up perfectly!

You could say that you "need" something if you cannot survive without it. So you need to eat food to survive. But no one needs diapers.

Or you could say that you "need" something if it would be difficult to function in society without. So incontinent people need diapers, but AB/DLs don't.

Or you might think that you "need" something if it's something that you don't want to do without. Perhaps this kind of need has a qualifier -- i.e. "need" is short for "need in order to be happy". In which case an AB/DL might need diapers if it would make them unhappy not to have them... But how unhappy? Is it only a need if you are devastatingly depressed without them, or is it a need if someone simply prefers to wear diapers rather than go without?

Words are just so vague and ambiguous. They're not clearly and logically defined, people mean different things by the same word, and they often use words in a kind-of emotional way to solicit emotional responses rather than logical ones (look at the sensationalist choice of words in news reports and advertising, for example).

To quote Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass:

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
    Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—till I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
    "But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master that's all."