Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens to diapers during the night?!

jj2jjj

Default What happens to diapers during the night?!

Now and then I'll sleep in diapers at night. Cloth backed M4's make for a comfortable experience. I'll rarely wet during the night but in the morning. Now what is it that happens overnight that just stops diapers absorbing anything at all? I'll go and everything will just come straight out the sides before getting absorbed. I'm not even flooding.

I've tried checking that the padding hasn't been moved into strange places throughout the night, everything will be as I left it and yet instead of just absorbing it comes out anywhere it can.

Countdown

hmmmm...... mmmmm..... ....wait! i got it!!! maybe the pressure causes the polymers (absorbent crystals) in the diaps to condense together & become less potent???

(jus a "theory"... dont really know what i'm talkin bout )

That is actually an interesting question... I have never had that happen to me, personally, though... Which is sorta saying something since I wear 24/7. Normally my body holds it during the night as well and I wake up dry and end up wetting when I get up to get my morning coffee, but I have never had any leaks like that. I have never really been impressed with Abena's lining, though... Have you had this happen in several different brands? Maybe try a Molicare or Tena and see if it still does it. :3 It will be neat to experiment with, at least.

jj2jjj

Quote Originally Posted by Tanara View Post
    That is actually an interesting question... I have never had that happen to me, personally, though... Which is sorta saying something since I wear 24/7. Normally my body holds it during the night as well and I wake up dry and end up wetting when I get up to get my morning coffee, but I have never had any leaks like that. I have never really been impressed with Abena's lining, though... Have you had this happen in several different brands? Maybe try a Molicare or Tena and see if it still does it. :3 It will be neat to experiment with, at least.
    The only brands I have use this far are Cuddlz and Cloth backed M4's. Admittedly the M4's are a little big on me but cuddlz are a pretty good brand with good lining and yet I still get the issue with them.

The next package I buy will be tena maxi's so I'll see. It's just a shame because M4's are really comfy to sleep in.

Hm... I have never used cuddlz... I will have to try them. Keep us updated on your adventures, I am curious to see if maybe you are cursed. o.o Also try Molicares, they are the best nappy I have tried so far. I am not sure if you are in the US or not, though, so you might not be able to get them as easily.

Hello there,

I am new to this site so please bare with me, no pun intended. (hehe) I have found xpmedical.com has a very detailed diaper review page that shows absorbtion rate. I think the quicker the diaper absorbs the fluid there is less likley it will leak. I to wet the bed, more times than I care to, and not found a disposable diaper yet that didn't leak. I will either wear plastic pants over a disposable or wear a cloth diaper under plastic pants.

How odd, never had this happen to me either and i've used loads of plastic M4's at night! It didn't happen with Cuddlz either.

Try the tena slip maxi's and molicare and see how you get on.

The important question that no one seems to be asking is are you a side sleeper. I am and have had my Abenas leak. If the M4 is a bit bigger on you, you might need the s4. My problem was because the M4 was too small on me. I still wear plastic pants over because I am a side sleeper.

I have a possible reason for the lack of absorbency. You see normaly SAP can absorb 500 times it's own weight, but certain environments can effect the absorbency. When in a saline solution the absorbency of SAP drops to 50 times it's own weight. I hypothesize that during the night, because we all sweat while we sleep, that is effecting the absorbency of your diaper, due to an introduction of a saline solution. Other factors may also be a part of the question.

Hope that helps,
    Jnoto

jj2jjj

Quote Originally Posted by DLScottsman View Post
    The important question that no one seems to be asking is are you a side sleeper. I am and have had my Abenas leak. If the M4 is a bit bigger on you, you might need the s4. My problem was because the M4 was too small on me. I still wear plastic pants over because I am a side sleeper.
    Oh I should probably mention in the morning I tend to wet once I'm stood up getting stuff ready etc. The diapers are usually perfect for standing wetting but it's like after sleeping in the diaper the padding will just be less absorbent or avoid the urine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jnoto View Post
    I have a possible reason for the lack of absorbency. You see normaly SAP can absorb 500 times it's own weight, but certain environments can effect the absorbency. When in a saline solution the absorbency of SAP drops to 50 times it's own weight. I hypothesize that during the night, because we all sweat while we sleep, that is effecting the absorbency of your diaper, due to an introduction of a saline solution. Other factors may also be a part of the question.

Hope that helps,
    Jnoto
    Interesting, thanks