Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any VHS fans here?

Default Any VHS fans here?

Aw yes! The VHS! The very nostalgic piece of memory for the masses across the world. VHS is still sold in stores in the form of blank tapes, and it is still a major method of recording footage from the television.

How many of you guys other than me still hold on to your VHS collection or Betamax or Laserdisc? Any of you still own a stand-alone VCR? Any of you want to get a stand-alone VCR for Christmas or sooner?

Feel free to comment!

I still have all my VHS tapes from when I was younger but no player. As fond as I am for outdated formats Im happy to admit blu ray is far superior.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

VHS's, are too fragile, if you expose it to light it degrades the film.
    VHS players oftenly tangle the film and ruining it.
    You have to rewind it ever single time, you can't skip to scenes, you can't have menus.
    If dust gets in there (it will and it does) you're screwed.
    And they are FREAKING HUGE.
    I have well over 300 movies (legal) and if they were all VHS, I'd have no room in this house, it would be used as storage for all those movies.

Not saying I'm a huge fan of dvd/blueray/hddvd's, but they have much better quality over age.
    Digital copies are the best, but I like having a hardcopy, you can take that single movie anywhere, and it has it's own storage (physical space over digital space) which I like.

I have hundreds of vhs movies and still watch some of them from time to time

I still have some VHS tapes around, and I have plenty of fond memories of crudely editing family home videos on my parents' VCR, but... no, I can't really say I'm a "fan" of VHS.

As a former video editor and one who has a background in television, I am happy that VHS is dead. I threw out all my VHS tapes years ago, and I haven't regretted it at all. There are actually still three VHS decks floating around the house here somewhere, and they were all high-end decks back in the day. But, the tapes just don't hold up worth a damn, and they looked like crap when they were new anyway. VHS was a terrible format from day one, and it's aged with the grace of a drugged-up homeless guy. When I'm watching something, I like having enough detail in the image to figure out more than "there are a couple of people, maybe they're guys? that are doing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    As a former video editor and one who has a background in television, I am happy that VHS is dead. I threw out all my VHS tapes years ago, and I haven't regretted it at all. There are actually still three VHS decks floating around the house here somewhere, and they were all high-end decks back in the day. But, the tapes just don't hold up worth a damn, and they looked like crap when they were new anyway. VHS was a terrible format from day one, and it's aged with the grace of a drugged-up homeless guy. When I'm watching something, I like having enough detail in the image to figure out more than "there are a couple of people, maybe they're guys? that are doing stuff.
    I remember watching the opening of star wars empire strikes back on Laser Disc in the early to mid 90's. Looked a lot better then VHS.

Hated VHS then, hate it now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    When I'm watching something, I like having enough detail in the image to figure out more than "there are a couple of people, maybe they're guys? that are doing stuff.

Yeah. Interlaced analog video just sucks. A few years ago, I digitized my family's whole collection of home video stretching back to the 80's. Watching it produced a mixture of joy and horror. Not only was it grainy and washed out, but a modern LCD screen just isn't meant to display standard-def interlaced stuff. It truly looks much worse than it would on an old CRT TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post

Yeah. Interlaced analog video just sucks. A few years ago, I digitized my family's whole collection of home video stretching back to the 80's. Watching it produced a mixture of joy and horror. Not only was it grainy and washed out, but a modern LCD screen just isn't meant to display standard-def interlaced stuff. It truly looks much worse than it would on an old CRT TV.
    Yeah. Old video game systems look absolutely terrible on modern TVs as well. I wound up having to buy an old CRT TV from the Salvation Army just so I could play my NES. I tried it on our 50 inch plasma HDTV, and it was beyond terrible. There's a part of me that wants to try it on the new 60-inch LED HDTV we just bought, but I imagine that would make me sadder still (especially since even DVDs look pretty muddy on it now).

VHS...
    a thing of beauty and a joy for ever when it first came out... i even remember the very first movie that i recorded off the air onto a tape (i was still a boy/male back then)... it was and still is my ever favorite "Captain Horatio Hornblower" 1951 with Gregory Peck... what a Man, and such great sea battles! but alas, i wore the tape out watching that movie; but it was most definitely worth it, as were the many other movies that i recorded and watched over the decades before i could afford to start buying them...

repeatability back in the day of antenna TV.... that was the ticket. back in the stone-age when most of us had but 4 or 5 good channels and TV went off the air at 2 or 3 am... but then most of you children out there don't know about that, do you.... lol
    yea, TV didn't broadcast 24/7 not so very long ago.... and it didn't come out of the wall either (smile)... in fact, several of our local stations in the Portland Oregon area competed to see who had the best "sign-off" programing. my personal favorite was KATU-2 as they had this really up-beat musical and video 15 minute tripe through the best of Oregon's agricultural and industrial goings-on as seen in the summer-time.... it really made a person feel good on a cold rainy night.

so, to me, DVD's and everything that follows-on are really just new comers, or johnny-come-lately sort of things. better yes! but i personally have a rich history with VHS that will never die even as i do up-grade... and yes, i do up-grade. i still keep my old friends.... and cherish them for what they are, and what they represent (at lest to me)....