Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why spelling is important

Default Why spelling is important

Okay, I'll admit this is a bit of a rant, but hoping it can be a productive one at that.

With the prevalence of tablets, smart phones, and so on, it seems that people have gotten lazier and lazier in using at least somewhat proper English and spelling. Quite frankly it gets really annoying when you see posts, which consist of:
    u in place of you, r in place of are, major spelling errors, cutting off ending (e.g. hangin, likin, lovin, etc.), and "txt speak"

I'm not saying people need to be perfect, and certainly I know I'm not close to it, but it is nice when people at least show they are willing to try. Most browsers I've used have a spell checker, as do smart phones, and if you are on a laptop or computer you can always make a post in Microsoft Word (or Open Office) and use that spell checker.

To the thread title and the hope of turning this into something productive, here is why it is important (in my opinion): When people post in "txt speak" and are throwing major spelling errors all over the place, using U and R, and so on, it gives me the impression that they are either lazy or more likely stupid. In other words it gives off a bad impression compared to people who seem to make an attempt at typing correctly.

You can say it is wrong, but it is just the truth. We don't know everyone, and your persona on here can establish peoples thoughts about you. One of the big things, again my opinion, that effects that is how you post. If you are posting like someone sending a text message (which by the way, typing R instead of are on a phone does not take more time. I type on my phone like I do on here and it doesn't take anymore time then shortening every other word) then it is going to look like you are lazy, or worse stupid, don't care, etc. Just like if you are running around yelling at everyone and calling them jerks is going to make you look..well stupid too and mean/cruel, what have you.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I know peoples post have definitely created an image of them in my head. Maybe they are completely different in real life, but I don't know them there and so what I've collected from their posts is what "they are," so to speak, to me. I wouldn't be shocked if others are the same either.

So to tie back into what I'm saying, you aren't really saving any time talkin like u r ina rush, you are just creating a negative impression to anyone who evens even a little bit of a shit about spelling and grammar. No expects people here to be as good as an English major, or follow the letter of the er..language law by the book, but at least look like you are trying. Yes, there are people who have disabilities which make it difficult. I think though most members understand that and do give plenty of leeway in their errors because they aren't their fault. If you are just too lazy to spell check or type out "you," I feel you shouldn't be given the leeway most give on here already. But it isn't my place, and I think it hurts opinions enough anyways.

Basically, don't be lazy, don't post like you are sending a text to a buddy (and even when you are sending a text to a buddy, it is a good idea to use English there too, just saying) and try to show you kind of care.

While i do agree with you on this we live in a world where text style has taken over and i myself don't spell all my words the way they should be spelled but what does annoy me is the text talk that you cant understand lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    Okay, I'll admit this is a bit of a rant, but hoping it can be a productive one at that.

With the prevalence of tablets, smart phones, and so on, it seems that people have gotten lazier and lazier in using at least somewhat proper English and spelling. Quite frankly it gets really annoying when you see posts, which consist of:
    u in place of you, r in place of are, major spelling errors, cutting off ending (e.g. hangin, likin, lovin, etc.), and "txt speak"

I'm not saying people need to be perfect, and certainly I know I'm not close to it, but it is nice when people at least show they are willing to try. Most browsers I've used have a spell checker, as do smart phones, and if you are on a laptop or computer you can always make a post in Microsoft Word (or Open Office) and use that spell checker.

To the thread title and the hope of turning this into something productive, here is why it is important (in my opinion): When people post in "txt speak" and are throwing major spelling errors all over the place, using U and R, and so on, it gives me the impression that they are either lazy or more likely stupid. In other words it gives off a bad impression compared to people who seem to make an attempt at typing correctly.

You can say it is wrong, but it is just the truth. We don't know everyone, and your persona on here can establish peoples thoughts about you. One of the big things, again my opinion, that effects that is how you post. If you are posting like someone sending a text message (which by the way, typing R instead of are on a phone does not take more time. I type on my phone like I do on here and it doesn't take anymore time then shortening every other word) then it is going to look like you are lazy, or worse stupid, don't care, etc. Just like if you are running around yelling at everyone and calling them jerks is going to make you look..well stupid too and mean/cruel, what have you.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I know peoples post have definitely created an image of them in my head. Maybe they are completely different in real life, but I don't know them there and so what I've collected from their posts is what "they are," so to speak, to me. I wouldn't be shocked if others are the same either.

So to tie back into what I'm saying, you aren't really saving any time talkin like u r ina rush, you are just creating a negative impression to anyone who evens even a little bit of a shit about spelling and grammar. No expects people here to be as good as an English major, or follow the letter of the er..language law by the book, but at least look like you are trying. Yes, there are people who have disabilities which make it difficult. I think though most members understand that and do give plenty of leeway in their errors because they aren't their fault. If you are just too lazy to spell check or type out "you," I feel you shouldn't be given the leeway most give on here already. But it isn't my place, and I think it hurts opinions enough anyways.

Basically, don't be lazy, don't post like you are sending a text to a buddy (and even when you are sending a text to a buddy, it is a good idea to use English there too, just saying) and try to show you kind of care.
    I totally agree with you on spelling. I'm totally old old school. All we had when I started school was pencil's, paper, and our books. Allbeit spelling,english, arithmatic,geography, and history. We started with fountain pens.
    Then along came ball point pens. I still have trouble reading and trying to understand this type of writing in text or whatever else is used these days.

xyrin7seven7

Man, I totally agree with this! I try to do well with my grammar, but I know I am sadly lacking. But that was very well said, I must agree. I would post the same thing if I had thought to make a post about it :} Sadly, most people do only use text talk now a days, and it's almost no use trying to fix it.

Xyrin

Spellin an typin sux! We are here to discuss diapers not the finer points of the English language. Now that I've finally gotten a XP capable computer and Google Chrome My spelling is corrected I'm less ashamed of my posts but still the topic is diapers not English class.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post

*Snip*
    I'm with you all the way on this one. It's even worse when I see stories online that contain the aforementioned mistakes. (Plus several dozen more that are pointed out in my writing guides :P )

However, if I may be nit-picky here, in regards to cutting off the ending, sometimes I encourage it. Now hear me out first... I'm speaking more as a writer on this stance, and thinking that the post in question may be a story post (hypothetically speaking) and cutting the ending of a word may be how the character speaks, especially if he/she is from the lower forty-eight where it's common to do it. Yet in this case I prefer to see the following: Lovin' Hangin' Diggin' Howlin' etc. Notice the apostrophe at the ends of the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripped View Post
    However, if I may be nit-picky here, in regards to cutting off the ending, sometimes I encourage it. Now hear me out first... I'm speaking more as a writer on this stance, and thinking that the post in question may be a story post (hypothetically speaking) and cutting the ending of a word may be how the character speaks, especially if he/she is from the lower forty-eight where it's common to do it. Yet in this case I prefer to see the following: Lovin' Hangin' Diggin' Howlin' etc. Notice the apostrophe at the ends of the words.
    Story wise I think it makes sense though, as people do have a habit of cutting off endings sometimes (be it unaware or not). Agree it should be with an apostrophe at the end, been the way I tend to see it usually. In non-stories over the internet, I still stand by what I said =p.

Regardless (not 'irregardless') of how infuriating it is to use a phone to type out proper English, spelling punctuation and all, I make an effort to make sure each of my posts, be they on Facebook, ADISC, or elsewhere, are as perfect as I can make 'em. I simply cannot tolerate common mistakes on my posts. It just bothers me. Though there are times when I get too lazy to change there simple mistakes on a phone and hope most others don't take notice. X3

Quote Originally Posted by Tripped View Post
    I'm with you all the way on this one. It's even worse when I see stories online that contain the aforementioned mistakes. (Plus several dozen more that are pointed out in my writing guides :P )

I'm with this 100%. For various dialects, it works. I'm also in agreement regarding usage of typing a word in such a way as to convey that you yourself are speaking to other users in a your own dialect, such as the well-known Southern English dialect. I have even been known to use this dialect when I type online. But with proper punctuation, of course. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    Spellin an typin sux! We are here to discuss diapers not the finer points of the English language. Now that I've finally gotten a XP capable computer and Google Chrome My spelling is corrected I'm less ashamed of my posts but still the topic is diapers not English class.
    You're wrong on all counts, I'm afraid.
    This is the 'off-topic' section of the forums (i.e. specifically not for diaper discussions) and this is a spelling topic.
    The very valid point that the original poster is putting, is that people should make an effort to ensure that their various writing are at least easily comprehensible. We realise that people have differing standards of grammar and spelling, not least because of the differences between American English and British English used within this forum, but the standards are there so that people can communicate effectively. Stray too far from these and communication breaks down.
    The following is taken from a Facebook friend's timeline. The only thing I have altered is the name referred to. Some of her posts are so bad I have read them three or four times just to work out what she is trying to say.

"Wat a morning every way poss t school grid lockt wiv traffic so turnd round t come bk ome t walk t school only just got bk in Donna late but still smiling as a piggy bkt her part of the way oley moley "

I don’t give a rat’s behind about spelling and grammar. The primary purpose of language is communication, and as long you’re understandable, you’re doing it right. English is an abstract, and it’s prone to change. Which is okay. I don’t see why we should shun people who warp the current language norms as if they have leprosy.