Thread: 25 in a matter of hours.

Default 25 in a matter of hours.

Legally speaking i'm already 25. Technically I won't be 25 for at least another 10 hours.

Hopefully it's not of a big deal as I think it is.

Happy birthday!

For me, 25 wasn't really a big deal. I got a very slight break on my car insurance, and I was officially in my mid-20s. Whoopdie doo.

26, on the other hand, was a big deal. About a month before my 26th birthday, I had been in a major accident where I was cycling to work and got hit by an SUV that ran a red light at 40 miles per hour. As it was happening, I was very afraid I was going to die, and statistically speaking, that was the most likely outcome by far (15 percent of pedestrians/cyclists survive being hit by an automobile at that speed).

30 also is a big deal for some. You are officially no longer in your 20s, which represents a very troubling sign of aging for some. For me, it wasn't too bad, although I won't try to claim that I was completely immune from it or that I was completely able to dismiss it. A close friend of mine who turned 30 about three weeks before I did, and he really really struggled (actually fell into a bit of depression for a couple of weeks).

Here's the trick: Age is just a number. Many people use it as a way to benchmark themselves against societal norms (it's really hard to avoid doing so, and that was the trap my friend fell into face-first). I would suggest, though, that societal norms aren't exceptionally useful for gauging personal growth. If you're growing as a human being, then I'd assert you're doing ok. That was ultimately what both my friend and I had to realize to reconcile our respective states in life with societal "benchmarks." Don't get hung up on how old you are. Focus on how old you feel and where you're going in life.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    Happy birthday!

For me, 25 wasn't really a big deal. I got a very slight break on my car insurance, and I was officially in my mid-20s. Whoopdie doo.

26, on the other hand, was a big deal. About a month before my 26th birthday, I had been in a major accident where I was cycling to work and got hit by an SUV that ran a red light at 40 miles per hour. As it was happening, I was very afraid I was going to die, and statistically speaking, that was the most likely outcome by far (15 percent of pedestrians/cyclists survive being hit by an automobile at that speed).

30 also is a big deal for some. You are officially no longer in your 20s, which represents a very troubling sign of aging for some. For me, it wasn't too bad, although I won't try to claim that I was completely immune from it or that I was completely able to dismiss it. A close friend of mine who turned 30 about three weeks before I did, and he really really struggled (actually fell into a bit of depression for a couple of weeks).

Here's the trick: Age is just a number. Many people use it as a way to benchmark themselves against societal norms (it's really hard to avoid doing so, and that was the trap my friend fell into face-first). I would suggest, though, that societal norms aren't exceptionally useful for gauging personal growth. If you're growing as a human being, then I'd assert you're doing ok. That was ultimately what both my friend and I had to realize to reconcile our respective states in life with societal "benchmarks." Don't get hung up on how old you are. Focus on how old you feel and where you're going in life.
    I recall you posting about that accident I think and certainly that sucks far more then any of my "problems" with turning 25. As for the age is nothing but a number and way of looking at things, your exactly right and that is has surely been the case for me. Thanks for the advice, it makes sense and will surely help if I keep it in mind.

Best thing is I have *zero* debt still.

To the other's thanks for the well wishes.

Happy Birthday.

I look forward to my 25'th. Car insurance discounts for the win, and I can rent a car! My next B-day is 23, nothing fun happens at 23.