Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nascar: Sport or not?

Default Nascar: Sport or not?

So where do you stand on Nascar being a sport? I personally don't see it as a sport. It requires very very little on the driver's skill and more so on the car's skill. Not saying the driver doesn't have any skill, but when it comes down to it, it's who has the better car. If you consider that a sport, then I consider League of Legends a sport :P.

It is most definately a sport and it takes a lot of skill on the drivers part. Being a racer myself. I would say that it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry even I who didn't like NASCAR did see it as a sports. And if you think NASCAR driver only requires little skill you are definitely wrong. Like other motorsport NASCAR drivers need constant precision on how to controls their car. Also because of the density NASCAR driver has to control their car to not make an contact to other driver. Also I think your opinion on car skill is also not right. I mean yes there are difference between Dodge,Chevy and Toyota but the cars is supplied by each manufacturer and of course the driver's skill is more determining rather than the car itself(F1 is when the winner is the fastest cars).

Sure I prefer other sports such as Endurance Race, Rallying, and Drifting but NASCAR is DEFINITELY a Motorsport

I suppose it comes down to the definition of a "sport".

I can understand why some might thing that only competitions of pure physical exertion should be considered a "sport", but equally you could say that something is a sport if it's competitive.

Snooker and darts are competitive, but not physically demanding. Are they sports? What about dominoes or games of I-Spy? There's competition there too.

So long as we each understand each other, I think it's pretty arbitrary whether a particular activity is a "sport" or a "competition" or a "hobby". Just do whatever you enjoy doing! The word you use to describe your participation is probably less relevant than the enjoyment you get out of it...

I like it regardless of the label (sport? game? contest?) you put on it.

For reference, it takes a lot of skill, and is physically demanding. White-knuckling a car around for multiple hours at 150+ mph on a another guy's bumper is hard, very hard. If you delve into background of the drivers, you'll find the better ones keep themselves in top physical shape, same as in the other classes of racing (F1, IRL, ALMS, Rally, etc).

It's hard to explain to people who don't enjoy it so therefore don't watch it enough to understand it.

Many people think its just like hopping in their car for a drive down the road. NASCAR race cars can go about 100 mph faster than a normal street car.

Add to that the g-forces experienced by the drivers. Probably on average about 2 g's in the corners. A roller coaster can hit up to 3 g's, but only for about 3 seconds. Think about how you feel after the roller coaster ride. Sick, drained, etc. Now sustained those forces for 3 hours. (BTW an accident can go up to around 64 g's.)

The pit crews these days are made up of former football and hockey players. Anyone care to reason why? Jacking up a 3400 lbs car, changing a 55 lbs tire, or carrying a 90 lbs fuel can ..... in under 15 seconds.

It has many athletic qualities such as: strength, speed, quickness, hand eye coordination, agility, and stamina.

I just don't see the logic in trying to say it isn't a sport. It may not be your sport. But it is by definition a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by AAO View Post
    It's hard to explain to people who don't enjoy it so therefore don't watch it enough to understand it.

Many people think its just like hopping in their car for a drive down the road. NASCAR race cars can go about 100 mph faster than a normal street car.

Add to that the g-forces experienced by the drivers. Probably on average about 2 g's in the corners. A roller coaster can hit up to 3 g's, but only for about 3 seconds. Think about how you feel after the roller coaster ride. Sick, drained, etc. Now sustained those forces for 3 hours. (BTW an accident can go up to around 64 g's.)

The pit crews these days are made up of former football and hockey players. Anyone care to reason why? Jacking up a 3400 lbs car, changing a 55 lbs tire, or carrying a 90 lbs fuel can ..... in under 15 seconds.

It has many athletic qualities such as: strength, speed, quickness, hand eye coordination, agility, and stamina.

I just don't see the logic in trying to say it isn't a sport. It may not be your sport. But it is by definition a sport.
    It's the only sport I know of that doesn't have time outs,halftimes or pee breaks. Could you imagine wearing diapers under their underwear and fire suit. Also having to withstand the heat inside the racecar on a normal

sunday afternoon.

Hmmm... generally if I'm going to call something a sport It's got to have a few things.

1. It has to be at least moderately physically demanding. If you don't have to train for it physically, it's not a sport in my opinion.

2. It has a team. It may not be a team where all are working together at one time on the same field, but it should be something that is a collective effort of many. NASCAR requires a team of people who are skilled at their job, not just one guy and a car.

3. It has to have common rules and skill. If the rules aren't laid out, then it's not a sport. If it doesn't require any skill or practice to master, it's not a sport.

This is just my opinion though, but according to it, yes, NASCAR is a sport. Is it more of a sport then airsoft or basketball? Eh, I don't really care, and I think we should be spending this time playing our sports and hobbies instead of trying to label them.

I disagree that it needs a team as plenty of sports are individual rather than team activities, but NASCAR is a sport, like any other motorsport

Sport....mmmm.... Yes. Any competition that is organized for the sake of competing and one in which everyone involved abides to a set structure of rules has to be a sport. To say it is not would be semantical, I think.

Elegant, intellectually stimulating, a cutting edge display of the height of automotive technology, a display of the most difficult racing maneuvers performed by mathematical professionals - none of those aforementioned concepts would be easily related to the worldview of NASCAR.

It's about avoiding wrecks and drafting....so like 1/8 of the necessary amount of focus, training and physics understanding of any driver in F1.