Thread: Motivational Issues

Default Motivational Issues

Hey Everyone

I'm a second year undergraduate, in the UK. I'm quite idealistic about what I would like to achieve in life, and from my degree. However, I've always struggled with motivational issues, which in the past hasn't been too much of a problem as I've always had enough about me generally to jump the hurdle, whether it be GCSE, A-Level etc. However I'm now at a point in my life where I know what I need to achieve, and it requires to achieve a high grade of passing, as opposed to just passing in itself. However I'm really struggling when it comes to knuckling down and doing the work itself, which I know it shouldn't having that awareness of what I want to do and how to achieve it, yet I'm still struggling when it comes to motivation.

Has anyone been in the same boat, or can offer any advice?

Much appreciated.

Hey Zoolander,
    I can totally relate to this. I think the answer is 'just do it' It kinda just takes a suck-it-up attitude at first....you know when people say you only get out of it what you put in...well that pretty much it. For me it was a matter of pushing myself initially, but then it gradually became like a routine which wasn't so bad. you just have to remember to build in enough ME time, whatever that is for you. Good luck and go for it..I'm sure it will be worth it.

Default Re: Motivational Issues

I was in your shoes with having an exact picture of what I wanted to do in my professional life. I had tunnel vision saying I was going to be an RF electrical engineer. Later, I learned I would be happy in a wide variety of technical professions so hear I am writing embedded software. If you have a hard time motivating yourself to do what you need to do to achieve a goal, I apologize for being abrupt, simplified and crude but:

Option 1: Give yourself a swift kick in the @#$ and tell yourself playtime is delayed a few years but not denied.

And if Option 1 doesn't work....

Option 2: ...maybe you don't enjoy learning and doing your best in such-and-such career choice. Perhaps consider such-and-so similar career choice education and apply Option 1 if necessary.

Good luck to you my friend.

I hope and pray for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
    Hey Everyone

I'm a second year undergraduate, in the UK. I'm quite idealistic about what I would like to achieve in life, and from my degree. However, I've always struggled with motivational issues, which in the past hasn't been too much of a problem as I've always had enough about me generally to jump the hurdle, whether it be GCSE, A-Level etc. However I'm now at a point in my life where I know what I need to achieve, and it requires to achieve a high grade of passing, as opposed to just passing in itself. However I'm really struggling when it comes to knuckling down and doing the work itself, which I know it shouldn't having that awareness of what I want to do and how to achieve it, yet I'm still struggling when it comes to motivation.

Has anyone been in the same boat, or can offer any advice?

Much appreciated.
    I'm also in my second year, and I also suffer from lack of motivation on occasion so that's natural, my best advice is to plan study, or set yourself time to do it, and set goals to complete tasks. For instance today I aimed to proof read and complete the biliography for one of my essays, compile a list of books and loan them out for another, and put the finishing touches to a presentation. Secondly maybe exercise or go for a walk around now and again to clear your head. On another note out of curiosity, what are you studying?
    Addendum: it's nice to see another UK uni student here, I feel like one of the only ones on occassion

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
    On another note out of curiosity, what are you studying?
    I'm a Psychology student, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoolander View Post
    I'm a Psychology student, how about you?
    Politics and International Relations, if you don't mind me asking, which uni? I'll understand if you don't want to say, but if you don't mind PM me. I suspect it's better than mine by far