Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diapers at the hospital

Default Diapers at the hospital

How much luckier can i get to have a supply cart full of diapers next to my room. They are junk wings brand but better than nothing. Edit: Maybe read my followup post below too before throwing pennies at me. I snagged one diaper to use as underwear because i didnt want to go commando in these hospital clothes. From that point on ive been wearing my own diapers from home and there isnt any need for anyone to know about it but me. If a nurse happens to notice and asks me about it, ill just tell them straight up i like wearing them and they are like my security blanket. Its really none of their concern because im just here to get help with my alcoholism.
    Last edited by Crinklebuttt; 20-Nov-2012 at 14:26.

Are you diapered? I've always wondered if I'd be diapered if I was in the hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklebuttt View Post
    How much luckier can i get to have a supply cart full of diapers next to my room. They are junk wings brand but better than nothing.
    Hopefully you are not taking them if you do not have a legitimate reason too. Diapers cost money, even at hospitals. Which are paid for by tax money and people's insurance.

Interesting. Diapers are used in hospitals but it seems the push is generally toward toileting if possible, then generally catheters when needed. Of course there are times a diaper is needed but this seems to be something that they do not generally push.

In any case, I would be careful to not fake a need that us not actually present. Especially if it are likely to have visitors who might realize you are diapered.

My family forgot my clean clothes and i wasnt going to put dirty underwear back on after my shower. Only took one, my backpack of clean clothes/ better diapers will be here in hours. If i had asked for one i would have gotten it, and i wasnt about to have a conversation with a nurse that would have been awkward for both of us. And seeing as how the first pair of scrubs they gave me had bubble gum stuck all over them, i have doubts about how clean they are and DO NOT want my bare private area touching them. Im a DL so no i didnt need it in a conventional sense, but i did need something to wear as underwear.

Jeez. that'll probably take some explaining at some point. I wouldn't want to be in that situation. "I needed some underwear." might be plausible for a DL but not for an ordinary human being.

Even having occasional issues at night, I would have my doubts about being able to use diapers in hospital setting...
    As I have talked with my physicians about some of my issues, diapers as a solution have never come up, and I've never offered it as one I take or (shudder**) enjoy.
    In general, my perception is that diapers are seen as a defeat or an embarrassment in the medical community.

Tread lightly.

Well,... here's my take..

I've been a bedwetter (pretty heavy...) almost all of my 33 years... I also have day-time IC issues (dribble, sometimes a bit more)... so at night: diapers, at daytime: pads.

Now so far I've been to a hospital twice in my life... the first time I was in for about a week when I had my appendix removed... at that time I was like 6 and honestly I can't remember - but I think they just put me in a diaper or had one of those stupid bed-mats in there...

The other time was a couple of years ago when I managed to get my hand crushed at work (accident with something a bit too heavy....).... it needed surgery - and I stayed for three days... it was all quite complicated and they had me on some serious pain-killers...
    When I checked into the hospital I told them that I've got IC issues (would have been obvious when it came to the undressing part... I wear pads or pants during the day).... and also have been a bedwetter since forever... also told them that I've been to an urologist several times and it didn't work out.
    I was pretty straight forward about that and the fact that especially at night I DO wear diapers.
    They told me that during the OP I would get a Cath anyhow... (diapers are a no-no inside the sterile OP)...
    And they opted to keep the cath in for the time at the hospital - which I refused!.. .WHY? I had a few experiences with cath stuff (no I don't enjoy that) and it felt HORRIBLE... I hate those things and am pretty freaked about stuff going up my urethra...
    They argued for a moment that it would be "easier" (- for them) and I basically insisted on NO cath... also I really don't fancy UTIs and hate that with the cath in I have lost the last bit of control over my bladder that I actually still have...
    Anyhow, they accepted that... after all they can't force stuff like that on an adult... it's up to me.

But when I woke up later on ( I was under full anesthesia and the OP was pretty long... they needed to clean up a bit of a mess inside my hand) - I was diapered.
    I assume they put one on me after the OP... ... During the hospital stay I was diapered at night and had mesh pants and pads for the day... those I could put on / change on my own, works one handed (not very speedy, but no big deal...) the diapers at night though needed help... but they did never make a big deal out of this.

Now if you are not IC, I truly wouldn't wear diapers... there's no reason to do so... at a hospital. you burden the staff (hopefully not though)... and would maybe have some rather awkward explaining to do.

Right, so, I work in a big university hospital. Diapers are a thing of the past in terms of being used regularly in caring for a patient that does not have incontinence issues. I know of no one in the hospital that would put a continent patient in diapers. That goes against everything you need to be doing. They are terrible for the skin and preventing skin breakdown is a big thing nowadays. Unless the patient wears one at home for incontinence, etc. and insists upon it, diapers are never used in the hospital for adults. There are pads on the beds, but I work in a surgical unit, so those are pretty much a necessity.

Also, especially after a surgery, there is a push to make the patient do for themselves if they can. The whole letting the patient lie in bed and doing everything for them is a big no-no (unless the patient is disabled/unable to). Nurses push the patient to do as much as they can, because more activity helps the body heal and the goal is to get the patient back to being independent as soon as is safe and possible. Lying in bed is the worst thing you can do after surgery. It slows healing and can cause pneumonia in extreme cases. The docs expect patients to be up and at 'em the first day post op for many surgeries done on my unit, and that goes for most other units as well (not all obviously, depends how serious the surgery is). If the patient needs to use the bathroom, it helps encourage them to get up, thus catheters come out as soon as possible and again, no diapers.

That being said, if a patient does need them and insists upon it, it's not a big deal. Trust me, nurses see a lot of crazy stuff and an adult wearing diapers is not something that even registers for most nurses. Plus, if they are anything less than professional (aka, laughing at you or treating you disrespectfully), you should speak to a manager, because that's not acceptable.

Then again, if you are independent and are continent, good luck trying to get a nurse to change you/put you in a diaper. That's not going to happen and it's also disrespectful to the nurse/nurse assistant. If you are capable of doing something, you are going to do it. Nurses and other hospital staff are there to help you get better, not to wait on you hand and foot and do everything for you (because that's not helping you get better, that's doing the opposite) and certainly not to put you in diapers and wipe you unless you absolutely need them to. If a patient can't do something and needs help, it should be done in a quick and respectful manner, but if they can do something, expect some strong encouragement to do it yourself.

A bit of a tangent there, I suppose, but that's how I see it

I would ask if i could wear one no harm in asking

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Well,... here's my take..

I've been a bedwetter (pretty heavy...) almost all of my 33 years... I also have day-time IC issues (dribble, sometimes a bit more)... so at night: diapers, at daytime: pads.

Now so far I've been to a hospital twice in my life... the first time I was in for about a week when I had my appendix removed... at that time I was like 6 and honestly I can't remember - but I think they just put me in a diaper or had one of those stupid bed-mats in there...

The other time was a couple of years ago when I managed to get my hand crushed at work (accident with something a bit too heavy....).... it needed surgery - and I stayed for three days... it was all quite complicated and they had me on some serious pain-killers...
    When I checked into the hospital I told them that I've got IC issues (would have been obvious when it came to the undressing part... I wear pads or pants during the day).... and also have been a bedwetter since forever... also told them that I've been to an urologist several times and it didn't work out.
    I was pretty straight forward about that and the fact that especially at night I DO wear diapers.
    They told me that during the OP I would get a Cath anyhow... (diapers are a no-no inside the sterile OP)...
    And they opted to keep the cath in for the time at the hospital - which I refused!.. .WHY? I had a few experiences with cath stuff (no I don't enjoy that) and it felt HORRIBLE... I hate those things and am pretty freaked about stuff going up my urethra...
    They argued for a moment that it would be "easier" (- for them) and I basically insisted on NO cath... also I really don't fancy UTIs and hate that with the cath in I have lost the last bit of control over my bladder that I actually still have...
    Anyhow, they accepted that... after all they can't force stuff like that on an adult... it's up to me.

But when I woke up later on ( I was under full anesthesia and the OP was pretty long... they needed to clean up a bit of a mess inside my hand) - I was diapered.
    I assume they put one on me after the OP... ... During the hospital stay I was diapered at night and had mesh pants and pads for the day... those I could put on / change on my own, works one handed (not very speedy, but no big deal...) the diapers at night though needed help... but they did never make a big deal out of this.

Now if you are not IC, I truly wouldn't wear diapers... there's no reason to do so... at a hospital. you burden the staff (hopefully not though)... and would maybe have some rather awkward explaining to do.
    It is so interesting that hospitals do not like using diapers. They much prefer using the more expensive catheter that end up causing more problems sometimes.