Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diaper buying help

Question Cloth diaper buying help

Hello there, so I really want to buy a cloth diaper, I think it would be a good investment, but I don't know the slightest clue on what to buy. I think I want somthing like a prefold, not somthing with velcrow, but then again, are the velcrow ones better? and also what is the difference between birdseye and gauze material? Also, where is a good site to buy them. thanks.

Hey there, KRASN1!

First off, if you haven't already done so, check out All About Cloth Diapers. It goes into the various types and their pros/cons. There's also a cloth diaper group where various people have posted their recommendations and experiences.

Coming from disposables, the all-in-one (AIO) diapers with built-in plastic covers and velcro closures would certainly provide you with the most familiar experience. On the other hand, separates (prefolds, flats, or contours + plastic pants) are much easier to care for. There are definitely some trade-offs to be made. I'm a prefold junkie, but I expect that has a lot to do with my being raised in prefolds and having them around throughout my childhood.

Continuing down the prefold path for a moment (because it's the one I know best): There are several good places to buy prefolds. My favorite diapers came from Changing Times Diaper Co., which is now nearly defunct, however the same great diapers can be found at Rearz in Canada. Another excellent choice is Baby Pants. They offer prefold diapers in birdseye, twill, and gauze fabrics. I haven't sampled their gauze diapers, but the birdseye and twill are excellent, well-made diapers. I do prefer the twill, however. The birdseye is very dense, heavy, and not as soft. is one of the more popular sources of cloth diapers among the cloth-wearers here, and they sell all kinds. I and several others here have their gauze prefolds, and they're plenty good. The shape definitely caters to pinning, however, so if your waist is on the small side and you wanted to try a Snappi instead of pins, I would advise you to go with the Rearz or Baby Pants twill diapers instead. The latter have a more square shape that is just a lot easier to work with, IMO.

...which brings me to the subject of fastening. Pins work great, but a lot of people don't care for pinning. With baby-babies, pinning is definitely out of style! Alternative fasteners include the Snappi and the Boingo. After failing with Snappis (I've decided that my 38" waist is just too much for a toddler-sized Snappi), I recently tried out Boingos and I'm hooked! Fasteners are one area where you'll want to do a little experimentation, however.

Last edited by Cottontail; 19-Nov-2012 at 12:37. Reason: typo

Well, there's a huge assortment of different types of cloth diapers that you can buy. The pre-folds require pins of course and without experience, pinning can really be a pain in the ass (literally) or in the finger. It's pretty tough to properly pin on the diaper without poking yourself somewhere. It's also a little difficult to get a proper fit and it will begin sagging before its wet. Also, a onesie will help to fix that problem. You can find these at plenty of retailers such as,, changing times.

Birdseye, Gauze, Twill, are all cotton based, they are just different in construction in the knitting fabric throughout the diaper...

Birdseye: Tough, longer lasting, but not as soft.
    Twill: Not as tough as Birdseye, but softer.
    Gauze: Not as tough as Twill or Birdseye, but are softer than both.

Flat diapers are basically pre-folds with it being layered in the center.

There's also different fabrics such as bamboo, flannel, hemp, terry, fleece, zorb and ect. Some are mixed fabrics. Fabrics have different characteristics and perform different duties. Terry (towel fabric) for example holds a lot of liquid but it doesn't wick (distribute liquid across the diaper other than the place where liquid is dispersed) very well. So, they add fabrics such as flannel to help promote wicking.

When it comes to sizing, just pay attention to the sizing charts, and beware of shrinkage in all types of cloth diapers.

Now on to other types of diapers...

The velcro* types of cloth diapers are actually pretty good. Some are made with the same features as disposables. Which includes waistband, leak guards, leg gussets, stay dry liners, and more...

These can also vary in ways as well...

AIO (all in ones) which include a waterproof lining that can have cloth covering it or not it you so choose. Some AIO use snaps as fasteners, but I prefer velcro (aka hook and loop fasteners is what some places call it). It provides the best custom fit possible, just like tape tab disposables. Some are just pull-ons just like pull-ups. The downside of these is that laundering can be a pain, washing machines don't get the garments as sanitary clean because of the waterproof cleaning, and most of the time these diaper require hang dry or no heat in the dryer.

AI2 (all in two) is basically just like the above except they require plastic pants over it because they have no waterproof layer. This is my preferred choice because laundering is easier and more sanitary (prevents bacteria better).

Pocket Diapers are basically a thinner version of an AIO that have less absorbency, but have a pocket on the inside where people can add pre-folds, flats, or liners (booster pads both disposable and reusable.) This version makes it better to launder.

Plastic Pants vary in types as well, when you purchase plastic pants, don't use your pant size to choose your size, because you need room for a thick cloth diaper, right?
    Plastic pants are made as low rise, regular rise, and high rise. Don't expect plastic pants to hold liquid, when your cloth diaper reaches capacity the plastic pants are acting as the plastic shell on disposable diapers so they will leak when you exceed capacity.

If the company lists washing instructions...follow them for longer life of your diapers.

If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Even with a 29-30 inch waist my snappi was horrible. I'd recommend a boingo anyday. On top of that, go with the rockin' green detergent on listed above. I use that and it works wonderful. It's one of the easiest decisions compared to the diaper itself.

Keep in mind cloth diapers will not absorb much when you first get them. Do a prewash and then a main wash before ever wearing. After 6-7 cycles you should finally start to wear the diaper a lot longer.

I bought a cloth diaper from AB Universe a few months ago and I say it's great. It has Velcro tabs and it really cuts down on the cost of constantly buying diapers. eventhough they and nice and thick wear plastic pants or they will leak which I found out the hard way.

thanks for all of your help! I plan on buying them on Amazon because it is the most convientent for me, and I'm glad I started this topic, because I actually didn't know that you had to wear plastic pants with prefolds XD think about how awkward that would have been... anyway, given my Amazon status, what do you think I should get baby pants on Amazon seems good (and is recomended above) I don't want to spend more than $30 on the diaper alone btw and the reason that I want to buy a cloth one is because it is not that I wore them as an infant like a lot of cloth wearers, I've never worn them ever at all. The only reason is that it seems like a new, pleasent experience, while disposables just seem boring took me 6 and 1/2 months to go through a 10 pack of Goodnites, and I used them very generously to!

I think Amazon pulls from AmericanClothDiaper, which I believe is also All Together Enterprise, and they pull from Baby-pants. The quality of cloth diaper is quite good. I buy and use gauze pre-folds from All Together, and I typically wear the night weight, which is very thick. I use the baby sized safety pins as they pass through the fabric much easier than the larger adult size pins. The metal is narrower in the baby size. I've learned how to do it quite well, starting with the left corner, then pulling the right corner tightly and putting the pin on the side closest to the front and aiming it back, pulling it up and snapping it shut.

I like the high back LeakMaster plastic pants as they are large enough to keep all of the diaper covered while I sleep. They also are very soft. I wash them with dish detergent while in the shower. Never put them in a washing machine and definitely not in the dryer (plastic pants, that is). As for the diapers, I rinse them when I'm in the shower, hang them to dry until I have enough, and then wash them on the large cotton cycle. I then wash them without detergent on the permanent press cycle to rinse all the soap out. They take a long time to dry in the dryer because they are layered. The plastic pants I put on a plastic hanger and let air dry.

You have received very good information from the posts on this thread. After having worn many different cloth diapers for many years I must say I do like the Twill cloth prefolds found at Rearz or Baby Pants, (my twill prefolds came from Changing Times, but as Cottontail said they are closing).
    As for plastic pants, A lot of different sites sell plastic pants made by Gary manufacturing who I believe makes the LeakMaster and many others.
    I am using plastic pants from Comco. They make and sell their own plastic pants.
    And another thing You may want to purchase a larger size Plastic pants than you think you might need to provide the best leak protection.

Quote Originally Posted by KRASN1 View Post
    I plan on buying them on Amazon because it is the most convientent for me
    Both and Baby Pants are represented on Amazon. In fact, looking closer, they've got a few other adult cloth diapers I've never heard of, such as CushytOOsh and Comfort Concepts.

The reviews on the Comfort Concepts diapers are rather amusing. For instance:

Quote Originally Posted by (reviewer)
    ...I would have been better off wearing a flour sack with a garbage bag.
    Huh. Yeah, better stay away from those.

Thanks again for the help! and on a side note, I found this: it's a hand made cloth diaper that looks really soft. I'm not planning on buying off of ebay, but I just wanted to put this out there because it looks interesting