Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone understand this logic?

Default Does anyone understand this logic?

My dad thinks him and mom letting me wear diapers when I was a toddler is what made me like them and wanting to wear them when I was older. They didn't think it was a big deal then so they let me wear them and then at age three, I quit wearing them under my own consent.

But how is letting a child wear them make them a DL in the future? I don't understand that logic? Does anyone else here get it or no?

I honestly don't think me being potty trained late is what made me like them.

Countdown

I strongly doubt it because many toddlers continue to wear diapers both before and after potty-training. Are they all diaper fetishists now? I find that highly unlikely.

If it is not a simple matter of brain anatomy (sexual gratification + diapers), then I would suggest it is probably a psychological or emotional issue particular to the individual. As I said in another thread, I don't think there are any one-size-fits-all or simplistic explanations (e.g., the one your parents suggested). Diaper fetishism and paraphilic infantilism is a complex, rare, fringe issue, and I would not be surprised if the psychological etiology of it is just as complex, rare, and fringe.

I don't think the issue is understood well-enough to say one way or another as for whether wearing them as a toddler affected you today. I can't remember my potty training at all, and I was out of diapers by 2, but here I am.

I think your parents are just worried they had a hand in making you "a weirdo". I wouldn't be too upset personally, but maybe worried a bit that your parents blame themselves. I also have no idea what I'd say to them, so you'll have to solve that for yourself

There is yet to be a definitive answer as to what causes people to like diapers, However there are many theories as to what causes it. Many have suffered abuse or other situations where they felt the need to regress into an age where they felt safe or loved. This is what I believe happened to me and many others believe the same. If you wish to see why i think this is why I am how I am read my blog and you can see some of what my life has been like. My blog has a lot of details I left out though as I am not putting anything about diapers on it.
    Last edited by Secretlyme; 18-Nov-2012 at 10:03.

some people are under the impression that if a child still wears diapers past a certain age unless the have a medical need for them, that it's a major problem.
    both for the child and the parents.

LittleDrummerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
    I strongly doubt it because many toddlers continue to wear diapers both before and after potty-training. Are they all diaper fetishists now? I find that highly unlikely.

If it is not a simple matter of brain anatomy (sexual gratification + diapers), then I would suggest it is probably a psychological or emotional issue particular to the individual. As I said in another thread, I don't think there are any one-size-fits-all or simplistic explanations (e.g., the one your parents suggested). Diaper fetishism and paraphilic infantilism is a complex, rare, fringe issue, and I would not be surprised if the psychological etiology of it is just as complex, rare, and fringe.
    You hit it right on the nose.

I don't think mom and dad did anything wrong with "letting you wear" until you were three years old. My kids needed to wear until they were almost three.

On the other hand, I believed that infantialism has a lot to do with the parents pulling the child away from baby things prematurely. Sounds like your parents did everything right. As other posters said, we all had our own path to here.

A person's development is heavily influenced by their upbringing as well as their natural unique tendencies. I think it's impossible to say with any certainty how much either angle affects given behaviors when you're an adult. For every story I read about a person's current situation (good or bad) being "heavily influenced" (or even "caused by") childhood experiences, there's another example of how someone "overcame a problem in their past".

You can't completely blame your parents and they can't completely blame you. What you like when you grow up is largely up to chance. Think of it like a card game. Sometimes you're dealt a good hand, sometimes you're dealt a bad hand. There's only so much you can do with a bad hand, and there's always a way to screw up a good hand. At the end of the game you can't really place a firm blame on the cards OR the play for the outcome.

And you can't replay the game. So grousing over whose fault things were dong the previous game accomplishes nothing. All you can do is deal another hand and see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretlyme View Post
    There is yet to be a definitive answer as to what causes people to like diapers, However there are many theories as to what causes it. Many have suffered abuse or other situations where they felt the need to regress into an age where they felt safe or loved.
    I agree, not only diaper but fetish in general. Some thinks its genetics, some thinks there is a situation in life that have caused this, some experts think parents have big role in this, and some have a completely different theory. I believe there are many or several reasons of why one person has a fetish, but another does not. So I don't think wearing diapers to the age of 3 is not the only reason a person likes diaper (or a reason at all !!) but its maybe a small part of it

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ABgirl View Post
    I believed that infantialism has a lot to do with the parents pulling the child away from baby things prematurely. Sounds like your parents did everything right.
    Yeah... My mum pinned a diaper on me once (over my clothes) during some kind of talk about babies as she was putting the laundry away. I asked her to do it again another day but I wasn't allowed and... And then, shortly after *sniff* I lost all my teddies because I was allergic to dust and had really bad asthma!

It doesn't help to over-analyse things, though. My mum loved me loads and I know she would never have done anything she thought would have been detrimental to me. And that's what matters most.

Maybe if she'd given in and pinned a nappy on me whenever I liked I would've got bored after a few times. Or maybe that would've made me even more obsessed with wearing them than I already am! You just never know!