Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for adventure?

Default What do you do for adventure?

I'm just curious on this topic, because sometimes life seems to get mundane. I live in a city that in general, really doesn't have much to do. Granted it is very friendly to hobbies, but sometimes just going out shooting at targets, or riding atv's out in the wilderness, where i've really already been to before, doesn't fill the sense of adventure i'm really looking for(Not to complain, I'm really happy to be blessed with such opportunities.)
    I guess I watch too many shows, but people's lives in tv shows, granted they are more dramatic, and often have very sad moments, seem to follow a life of adventure where they solve some type of mystery, or uncover some new amazing thing.

Seems like in the world of reality, the mystery solving is left up to the crime labs, or the pre-determined endings of books, shows, and video games. Along with that, is the fact that the whole planet has been explored and charted, unless you are a highly educated, and luckily picked scientist who gets to explore the unknown areas of our still mysterious ocean bottom, and I suppose Jungle life.

Point being, how do you get the thrill of actual adventure and mystery, without having the actual resources to go where no man really has been before, or given an answer too?

amusement parks (roller coasters), camping, Yosemite just to name 3.

I travel when my budget allows it. Other than that, my life is fairly boring and not filled with "adventure"

I tend to avoid adventure at all costs. About as wild as I get involved long drives through the middle of nowhere and taking photographs. I love getting out where things haven't been touched for decades, but still making it home at the end of my journey.

We got a puppy that has grown into Frankendog!!!! More seriously, the only real adventure for me is riding my bike through our bike trail. It does go through the woods, over a creek several times, abutts with the back of the city and crosses the historic James River. I've seen deer, and had to ride around a copperhead snake.

I used to go up into the more remote areas of Canada, where I've been followed by bear while portaging. I've seen wolf tracks, moose and the tracks of wolverines. There was no electricity at our cottage and we bathed in the lake, a brisk awakening from the cold water. I caught a lot of fish, cleaned them and ate them. It was pretty cool. Because of my wife's health, we can no longer go up, and I miss the beauty of it, and being with my thoughts. I do get some of that out on the bike trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    Point being, how do you get the thrill of actual adventure and mystery, without having the actual resources to go where no man really has been before, or given an answer too?
    hard to know how to console you, but adventure tends to end in mishap, and mysteries are often revealed to be pathetically simple and boring (and ought to have been bloody obvious).
    in terms of excitement, i think i've had enough (for now, anyway). i've risked life and limb, nearly been killed and nearly killed (and will probably kill at some point), loved and loathed, found and lost, and laughed and cried.

and to be honest, a lot of that has just been the day-to-day experience. it's very easy to suddenly find yourself in a situation.

mostly, though, i find that the costs incurred in the culminating of my existence, and the costs and seeming worthlessness of all those who have come and gone before, console me in any doubts i may have.
    a look at our history helps to put things into perspective.
    i may be worthless and i may never amount to much, but i'm still having it better than everybody has in history.
    how exciting is that?

I like to take my truck off road but I am limited since its 2wd.

Adventure!

it's where you find it, my friends....
    and when i was growing up, it was on the river watching the ships coming and going. then as i got old enough to be trusted; it was actually out playing in and around the sand-bars and wing-dams up and down within 2 or 3 miles of my Fathers Moored tug-boat. i built my own boats after a while, and when i became a man... Adventure was joining the navy and going to sea where i volunteered for even more Adventure! the Submarine Service....

one really doesn't need to be special or gifted or even a college grad to see all the world has to offer, or live a full and adventitious life. one just needs to be willing to take that first step and the risk that goes with it and every step thereafter.... adventure comes with risk, and i have had my share. but it's the risk that makes it Adventure, is it not....

(takes a breath...)

all of that and more i did before i was 28.... and then i decided to take another adventure; becoming a woman as i am now at 58.... i ride my recombinant bike when i get the chance and it's nice out side.... and i dearly love to row my white-hull long-boat as and when i can.... and sailing is the other love of my life.....
    but i must admit i am slowing down these days from age and the damage of my youth..... (smile)... but i am still looking and going pretty good i think....
    one never knows how far they can go until they reach for everything, and then look back to see what everything was....

never stop reaching;
    lodge wrecker

Everybodies idea of adventure is different. I did a survival weekend in the San Bernardino national forest in august. I just had a compass, map, 3 liter camelback of water a knife and my .45. I also do "nomad" style motorcycle trips with my friends (thats just taking a bed roll and sleeping where i fall). If you are creative and you do what you want your adventure will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post

mostly, though, i find that the costs incurred in the culminating of my existence, and the costs and seeming worthlessness of all those who have come and gone before, console me in any doubts i may have.
    a look at our history helps to put things into perspective.
    i may be worthless and i may never amount to much, but i'm still having it better than everybody has in history.
    how exciting is that?

Ok, I hear you there. It is true that most big adventures involve danger or discomfort.