Thread: Veterans day

Default Veterans day

I would to like to remind you to thank a veteran today and tomorrow. Veterans day is a day of rememberance and reflection. You don't have to help at a homeless shelter but a hand shake and a thank you touches their hearts like you wouldn't believe.

I am a 3 deployment Iraq vet and a member of the VFW, and as I was sitting at the post last night for the Marine Corps birthday celebration we made a toast to our fallen brothers. There was not a dry eye in he building. Please honor the fallen and thank the living for the sacrifices they have made.

Remembrance day here in Canada. It's tradition here to wear a poppy over our hearts as a symbol of gratitude. It comes from the poem "In Flanders Fields" written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, he was a Canadian physician and he wrote the poem when he was in the first World War. I'm quite fond of the poem myself.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

As cliche as it sounds, one of my favorite quotes about the Marine Corps, and the military in general, comes from Full Metal Jacket.

"Today, you are Marines. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on until the day you die, every Marine is your brother."

Veterans share a special bond that can't be felt in any other way than by being in the service. They have sacrificed so much to receive so little from the countries they serve. In the end, they do not fight for their country so much as for their buddies and comrades. Bravo Zulu Vets. "Never was so much owed by so many to so few."

It's always been an awkward holiday for me. I blame soldiers for wars just as much as I do politicians, so its kinda hard for me to really appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by KuwabaraKuwabara View Post
    It's always been an awkward holiday for me. I blame soldiers for wars just as much as I do politicians, so its kinda hard for me to really appreciate them.
    The Soldiers don't decide to go to war, they just do the fighting. A friend shared the video below with me a few years back, I think it's awesome and has a great message.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -George Orwell Honor your service members, they give the ultimate sacrafice. As a former marine who served in iraq, im flooded with emotion when i think of things like this. The song "Drive On" by Johnny Cash makes me cry when i hear it.

It makes me remember about Hero's day in Indonesia at 10th of November. Commemorating Battle of Surabaya. The first major clashes in our war of independence. And it make sad that many of our Veteran is living in poverty(Because our pension allowance is about $50 a month) and many of the Veteran can't accept the pension because they are not a part of official army(During independence war many people are part of local militia).

I know it's kinda OOT but is this how we treated our Veteran? If they don't fight for our independence maybe we are still in Dutch rule. They fought with whatever weapon they have facing modern army. But it is sad that I couldn't do a lot to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    The Soldiers don't decide to go to war, they just do the fighting. A friend shared the video below with me a few years back, I think it's awesome and has a great message.

They may not decide to start wars, but they still decide to join armies, they still show up to do the fighting. If every solider refused to fight, it wouldn't matter how many warspPoliticians start, they wouldn't happen because no one would be willing to fight them. It doesn't make sense to blame politicians for starting senseless wars, and then not also blame the people who actually make said senseless wars happen. Soldiers have a choice, and if a senseless war happens, they have a stake in the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by KuwabaraKuwabara View Post
    They may not decide to start wars, but they still decide to join armies, they still show up to do the fighting. If every solider refused to fight, it wouldn't matter how many wars politicians start, they wouldn't happen because no one would be willing to fight them. It doesn't make sense to blame politicians for starting senseless wars, and then not also blame the people who actually make said senseless wars happen. Soldiers have a choice, and if a senseless war happens, they have a stake in the blame.
    I don't understand how you can be so black and white about this. In a perfect world sure, no one would want/need to fight in wars, but what about when it is necessary. What about if one country is being invaded by another, should the country being invaded just decide not to defend themselves? What about the soldiers who get drafted, like in the case of WWII, if they had just let Hitler win? Sure, there are plenty of avoidable, greedy wars but soldiers, no, people died either way you look at it. Remembrance day(Veterans day) is not about celebrating war, it's about respecting the soldiers that have died and remembering how terrible war is. If that doesn't earn then a little bit of appreciation, it at least earns them some respect.

in the United States of America, the Military executes the will of the President. it is i hope, His conscience and ethics that motivates His decisions in matters of what we do and where we do it. the Military is an extension of the Office of the President in a way.... for those folks who are Citizens of the United States of America whether you vote or not; the President is your representative in this very dangerous world. it is very Very Important when you do vote; to try and get into the candidates "mind-set" so that you'll understand how He will use the Military if He becomes the next President. in effect as the people of this great Nation, you all share in this awesome responsibility that our President holds in proxy for us.

if the President goes and gets us into bad or questionable wars like the ones Bush-2 did.... well, we all voted the guy in.... i could say that i didn't vote for the ass, but as a citizen of this great Nation i still must take my share of the responsibility for the Guys screw-ups. that is what being an adult is.... that is what being an American is... that is what being a Veteran is too!

now as to the rest of those of you who may be reading this from other countries and who may or may-not like our American system.... ask me if i give a rats ass? if you don't like what you have, start a revolution. or you can do what we do and spend a big bunch of your taxes of a war-machine....

as for me i will do my best to keep people like Obama in Office so we can keep par with the need for social programs. i will also keep converting our youth into the LGBTQ life-style so that we can slow down the growth of the world population and curve unnecessary breeding.....
    ****please buy War Bonds****

Viva Obama!