Thread: Does powder decrease absorbency..?

Default Does powder decrease absorbency..?

I don't normally use baby powder when I slip into my Abena Abri-Flex Premium 3 diaper. I decided to try a little the other day because I had a 2+ hour drive and didn't want to feel sweaty after that long. It didn't seem to have any affect on the absorbency, but then I didn't use very much. Is there a point at which the powder would cause a problem, or is would that take more powder than a normal sane person would ever use? (Yes, at least I think I am sane...)

I use some form of powder everytime I change and have never really had any problems absorbancy wise, other problems would be leaving clouds behind me when I sat down and one guy saying "who smells like a baby?" while standing at a bar once. *rolls eyes*

I use to sprinkle quight a lot on but was litterally leaving clouds behind me when I sat down and had white half way up my back. Also I found that if you use too much then when you wet/sweat it will clump up and stick to you in little lumps, which is fine if your shaved down there, but its a pain to clean if you have any pubes.

So just put a light sprinkling on now and seems to work much better than literally pouring it on, plus it is much better for my breathing and my clothes.

I just sprinkle on a little and rub in on my groin and crotch and let my diaper catch the excess. I don't add any extra to my diaper and don't see any loss in absorbation.

Default Does powder decrease absorbency..?

Scientifically it does not effect absorption. I don't see how it could. I use baby powder quite liberally but I only apply a lot if I am going to be wearing 4 + hours in one diaper. Usually with my thicker night time diapers I will heavy powder. During the day with my sdk's , cushies, and Teddy's I will usually just lighty powder because there isn't a reason to go overboard. Unless of course, if you wear when it is really hot and humid and you are prone to sweating. Powder can help with that.

It can cause diapers with a wetness barrier to work less effectively, as it clogs up the pores which let liquid through. The actual absorbency won't change though. I tend to use a lot of baby powder and I've never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    as it clogs up the pores which let air through

I don't notice any difference in absorption, but I do notice the urine smell earlier, compared to when I use no powder. Before you ask, I can confirm I am not dehydrated, drink loads of water... Just seems to not allow the diaper's own odor absorbing properties to work as well... Just me??