Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any good/bad aviation experiences anyone?

Default Any good/bad aviation experiences anyone?

Well, if you dont already know, im a H-U-G-E aviation freak! I love everything about it. And right now, im on vacation in Florida for my uncles wedding. We flew Delta (Delta/Northwest now actually, lol) into Fort Meyers airport, and it was absolutely beautiful! The scenery was amazing, the beaches, the boats, the waves, its just a whole different perspective 10,000FT in the air. I will be sure to take some pics on the departing flight.

Anyways! (sorry, im rambling) On the way down here I overheard a bunch of old ladies talking about how they had some 'Unbelievably terrible!' experience w/ Delta (The one that was complaining was in a wheel chair, and it involved something about a Delta person leaving them by the runway (wtf?) for like 20 minutes, I couldnt hear it that well) And the poor flight attendant was being yelled out (or at least as much as an 80 some year old can yell) about how this is the, and I quote-"This was horrible! I will never fly this god da*n airline again! How could you fools do something like this to a little old lady like me!?" And yes, this frail old lady was cursing like a sailor! I felt really bad for the poor little flight attendant, who obviously had no control over what happened to these ladies.

So, I guess the point of all this is- Has anyone ever had a remember able experience while flying whether its good/bad?

Anything, like bad turbulence, super long delays on the ground, scary thing, etc. Please, share!

Well, on the flight to Crete, I noticed that there was duct tape on one of the windows and that the plane decor looked awfully... 80s. When we stepped outside the thing when we landed, we noticed that it was in pretty rough shape on the exterior, too.

I was in a plane in Memphis, sitting, waiting for a storm to pass. After a short wait, the pilot came on and said that the tower had reopened the runways, but that he didn't like the way the weather still looked, so he was going to wait a bit longer. A general consensus went through the plane, that if the pilot didn't like the weather we were fine with that, and he could take off when he was happy with the weather.

I fly fairly often (five or so times a year.) and I randomly fly different airlines (whichever has the best price to my destination.) I have had good with some and bad with some, almost all are inconsistant, for example I've had good flights on United and bad on United, and in my opinion I have few preferences. The worst by far is US Airways, bad seats, bad service, old planes, the list goes on and on. My favorite so far is Frotier, but I've only flown them once, so I can't give a true review on them.

I was on a flight from Istanbul to Izmir when I was in turkey. Oh my god, I thought I was going to die. It was one of those really old model DC-9s. The thing looked like it would fall apart if I sat the wrong way. I was later told that this airline did not have the greatest safety record, and was banned in the EU for a time. But I didn't die, so I'm happy

dprdinky

One of the most eventful experiences flying was while in Bolivia one summer. We flew out of La Paz - (airport elevation was 13,500 ft) down into the Amazon jungle. Before leaving La Paz the told us the schedule would take us into Trinidad and then on into Riberalta the same day. Well before we landed in Trinidad, several on the flight was saying that we wouldn't be flying on anytime soon when we got there. Sure enough, we waited for most of the day for the plane to even arrive to take us on. We noticed that there were no landing lights or search light even near the airport. So discovered that there was no way we'd fly anywhere after in got dark.

Luckily there were some official businessmen who were from the World Bank down there determining the need to provide a grant to build a better airport in Trinidad. If not for them we wouldn't have had access to our luggage. Then took a taxi - on the back of a Honda Scooter with luggage in between us and the driver to town where we spent the night and then were back out to the airport by 6 am and took off with a full load and a Fairchild airplane - wings and propellers above the body of the plane - 26 passengers.

Come to find out several others had been on this same route before and because it's such an outpost, people have had to wait several days before they had a full plane to continue on their journey. Not much connecting roads between cities and towns out there in the jungle.

All of my flights have been smooth. Though the last time I flew there was a few rain clouds but nothing bad that could really send the plane down. We also went though them and above them the rest of the way which I guess was a good idea. I would rather fly then any other means of transportation. Its the fastest, the safest and the most fun.

I been on at least 6 different planes and never got turbulence. Yet this past summer at the start of June I was in a rollover car accident on a freeway and thank god I wasn't hurt really asides for the whiplash that got fixed in two visits to the doctors. So yeah I prefer flying.
    --------------

This is your captain speaking if for some reason this plane crashes the chances of survival is minimal and the chances of you dying on impact is very high. So sit back and enjoy the crash and take pleasure that you won't feel much pain at all unlike many other ways you can die in this world. It helps if you try and knock yourself out before we crash however. Thank you and have a great afterlife and thanks for flying the crappy ass airline.

Oh and if you got a MP3 I suggest listening to "its the end of the world as we know" it by REM.

Peachy

I remember waiting for my flight back home at Stansted airport back in 2004. Time went on and on and I watched all the other airplanes getting loaded with passengers and being pushed away from the terminal, just my flight wouldn't be called. A few minutes later, I noticed a dozen fire engines surrounding the only aircraft left at the terminal...and then saw a huge puddle underneath the plane! Now...my flight hadn't borded, only airplane left with huge puddle underneath - didn't take many brains to figure out the plane for my flight had a fuel leak.
    Worse yet: Once the fire engines had left, the pilot and a few mechanics tried to fix the plane. I saw one of the guys working on something with a garden hand saw - something you can pick up at home depot for 99 cents! Real professionals there!
    Thank God the flight was canceled altogether and everyone was crammed into the next flight 4 hours later. Unfortunately, back then, EU law didn't call for any financial compensation for a delay of 4 hours. Nowadays, I'd get a sizable chunk of money for the delay!

Peachy

Worst: 5 hours on a runway waiting (don't ask me why (or where for that matter) because I don't know) (more detailed circumstances)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I remember waiting for my flight back home at Stansted airport back in 2004. Time went on and on and I watched all the other airplanes getting loaded with passengers and being pushed away from the terminal, just my flight wouldn't be called. A few minutes later, I noticed a dozen fire engines surrounding the only aircraft left at the terminal...and then saw a huge puddle underneath the plane! Now...my flight hadn't borded, only airplane left with huge puddle underneath - didn't take many brains to figure out the plane for my flight had a fuel leak.
    Worse yet: Once the fire engines had left, the pilot and a few mechanics tried to fix the plane. I saw one of the guys working on something with a garden hand saw - something you can pick up at home depot for 99 cents! Real professionals there!
    Thank God the flight was canceled altogether and everyone was crammed into the next flight 4 hours later. Unfortunately, back then, EU law didn't call for any financial compensation for a delay of 4 hours. Nowadays, I'd get a sizable chunk of money for the delay!

Peachy
    Wait, you get payed $$$ if you have a delay longer than 4 hours!? Now thats what I call compensationg! Why dont we do that?