Thread: Tricks for increasing absorption/decreasing leaks

Default Tricks for increasing absorption/decreasing leaks

A few days ago I read a post saying that you can increase a diaper's capacity and decrease leaks by taking it out of the packaging and letting it sit for a while before putting it on. I was just wondering what other little tricks you guys might use to help increase capacity/prevent leaks. Feel free to share here.

It was my incontinence nurse who told me that trick. Take it out the packet 24 hours before use, give it a shake to fluff up the filling. It really works.

My other tip is plastic pants. As long as they fit well they'll contain most leaks. Mine are sometimes quite wet inside, perfectly dry outside.

PaddedPuppy

As for taking the diapers out the pack, that's important especially with tena slips. If you open a pack and take 7 out the remaining ones in the pack will instantly puff out to take up the full space of the packaging. If you leave them out the pack totally for a couple of days before wearing they will get even thicker.

I remember with my old dry 24/7s the insides of the diaper were loose, and you could unfold the diaper, then hold up and shake the filling to one side or the other. For daytimes I shook most of it to the front, at night I made sure there was some at the back. Doing that increased the absorbency compared to just putting them straight on.

Stuffers a good quality nappy thats been fluffed a bit and a good pair of plastic pants are your friends

Taking diapers out and allowing them to naturally relax and expand for up to a day is a good trick. Keep I mind that this can be overdone as well. Many manufacturers, especially when the diapers have a SAP content, also recommend that the diapers be kept sealed in the original package and that you keep them around for no more than a some period of time. The concern is that humidity can affect the diapers negatively.

All of this really depends on the diapers you are using, how you wet, your anatomy and your position. Poor quality diapers will always be poor quality diapers, no matter what you do to enhance them by letting them sit. Wetting even the best diaper in a flood or worse can easily overwhelm it, so a slower wetting is nearly always best. Most diapers are designed with this in mind. Positioning is also important in that if you are male, for example, and laying on your side or tummy and pointing up, well the diaper is likely to leak because you are only wetting the front. If you can position yourself to enhance the absorption and wicking it is best.

I have a friend that uses Depends during the day and enhances there usability by adding a good stuffer. Usually he will use the Bambino Quatro if I have that right. So he has the advantage of a thin diaper with absorbency he needs where he needs it.

Fluffing is good advice.

In addition, I think how you put your diaper on can make a difference.
    First, I don't think tighter is always better. I have male parts, and if the padding part of my diaper is too tight against my body, I find that the liquid tends to run to the sides before it can be absorbed... =leaks. In my experience, having just a touch of give can help with this.
    Second, (again this might be 'junk' specific) I find that I get less leaks if I fold the diaper lengthwise, creating kind of a trench shape with the padding that goes between your legs specifically. I tend to use nicer diapers and so my leaks are rarely due to "press-out" but more often due to the padding not being able to absorb the liquid fast enough. If you do this trench thing, any excess liquid can (excuse me please) 'pool' for a moment as it is absorbed.
    Third, rather than pulling the flat part up really tight between my legs, I tend to try to let it hang/droop a little bit from the very get go (the feeling is sort of like it feels when wet...except you start with the diaper in that position). I make sure it is snug around my thighs; just not pulled up really tight. Again, this gives more time for the padding to do its work. And if you have the trench shape going for you, all the liquid kind of funnels away from the sides toward the center. I find this third tip to be especially useful when I'm driving or seated.
    Fourth, if you have male parts, aim it down/back - especially if lying down. I've been wetting the bed for over a year now and almost never leak. But I sleep on my back and use the other three tips as well.

Often, adding some kind of absorbant booster can help. But I have found that sometimes, it makes the standing-leg cuffs less tall, reducing their effectiveness.
    In fact, I tend to leak more often WITH a booster (bambino brand usually) because of this. It doesn't decrease the necessary time for absorption - just overall quantity.
    The one caveat for this is if you can pull apart the plastic on the top of the diaper or cut a slit in the topsheet inside, you can slide a baby diaper or other pad inside with the other padding...This way, you maintain the full height of the leg-cuffs but increase overall capacity. (this video is a rough example of the 'cutting' method How to stuff a generic adult diaper - YouTube). In my experience, diapers like Depend and ATN will pull apart if you very gently pull the plastic away from the topsheet inside. This way you don't have to cut, and you don't get any SAP on your tush!

Good luck.

I find that folding the diaper lengthwise to form a channel down the middle can really help. It seems like this funnels the liquid away from the edges giving the padding more time to actually absorb it. I really like this approach because it's quick to do, doesn't involved modifying the diaper and seems to be really effective.

Plastic pants are also good at catching dampness, but they'll not stop a full-on leak.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I find that folding the diaper lengthwise to form a channel down the middle can really help. It seems like this funnels the liquid away from the edges giving the padding more time to actually absorb it. I really like this approach because it's quick to do, doesn't involved modifying the diaper and seems to be really effective.

Plastic pants are also good at catching dampness, but they'll not stop a full-on leak.
    I have heard the same thing but have never tried it. Good to know that it works well.

Yep on unpacking. Watch one of the diaper manufacturing videos, you'll see how they use a piston to compress stacks of diapers before shoving them into a bag and sealing. Just saves on shipping and storage bulk. You've probably also noticed, especially with more premium diapers, there's no way to get the first few diapers back into the bag once removed. They're already fluffing back up.

I have a small cabinet with my diapers and supplies, and I always remove diapers from the bag and put them on a shelf to fluff up before use. On the average they increase thickness by 50% in a few days. Laying them on their side helps. If you really want them to fluff up, unfold them and refold them like a traditional older baby diaper, folded in half instead of thirds. Unfold a few that way, and they'll be nicely bulked up within a few days.

I've also tried tossing them in the dryer briefly. Be careful on time. Disposable diapers go from new to fluffy to falling apart in under a minute. Try 15 seconds. It also warms the diaper up - putting on a fluffy warm diaper is pretty nice.