Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urologist Part 2

Default Urologist Part 2

Going to see my doctor in about an hour. This is just a check up to see how the flowmax .8Mg dose is working. Well....its not :/ Just like the .4Mg it worked great after the first week through week 4 but started to fade after that. The only other option he gave me was to have a "procedure" where they go in & remove some of the obstruction with heat. I am not having anything done to me any time soon unless its life threatening after the hell I went through back in April. I really do not want to up the dose any more because the side effects get more & worst as the dose increases & after another 2 months & it fades out then what? Increase the dose even more? No thank you. Think I am just going to tell him that I would rather wear a diaper 24/7 than have to deal with meds & surgery. Hell, maybe I can talk him into getting me a script for padding XD

Edit:
    Back from doctors. Good news bad news. Good news is that I am on the max dose of flowmax. There is other meds out there I can try but my insurance dose not cover them. Bad news is if it continues to degrade I will need the Transurethral needle ablation (T.U.N.A.) procedure. I told the doctor that it was not happening & explained why & he said he did not blame me for not wanting to do it. So another 6 weeks on the .8Mg Flowmax for now.

Has anyone had the Transurethral needle ablation done & how did you fair with it?
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-Nov-2012 at 16:01.

prichardson

Hi.

It sounds rather similar to the problem I had, if it is retention, although I don't know your history - so I may be talking about something completely different.

Along with a Bladder Neck Incision I also had the TURP procedure, 'Transurethral Resection of the Prostate' - although this turned out not to help the problem. After that, we went for the full surgical Sphincterotomy which is where they cut the muscle.

Have you tried Oxybutynin, or Flowmax combined with Oxybutynin? Together they can be a very powerful combination however side-effects are obviously a major concern.

Thanks,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by prichardson View Post

Along with a Bladder Neck Incision I also had the TURP procedure, 'Transurethral Resection of the Prostate' - although this turned out not to help the problem. After that, we went for the full surgical Sphincterotomy which is where they cut the muscle.
    What sort of muscle?

This sounds like something allot painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
    What did he say about padding?
    Ah it never came up & I chickened out XD

- - - Updated - - -

Hi.

It sounds rather similar to the problem I had, if it is retention, although I don't know your history - so I may be talking about something completely different.

Have you tried Oxybutynin, or Flowmax combined with Oxybutynin? Together they can be a very powerful combination however side-effects are obviously a major concern.

Thanks,
    Paul.
    He did mention other drugs but I don't think my insurance covers them. I would have to be dying of this condition for me to go under the knife again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Ah it never came up & I chickened out XD

Thats bad. Do you hope he is going to mention that? Is it more the word that is hard to say?

prichardson

What sort of muscle?

This sounds like something allot painful.

PIKACHU - The External Urethral Sphincter muscle - From inside out, you have your Bladder, Bladder Neck (Internal Urethral Sphincter) and then the External Urethral Sphincter.

Due to both the Bladder Neck and External Sphincter being in rigid spasm, causing massive retention both the muscles were eventually cut. This was a very rare operation for a non-spinally paralysed person and cannot be reversed at a later date. The main risks of both these operations are hemorrhage and impotence, and you are guaranteed to lose your ability to have children due to Retrograde Ejaculation - sperm travels back in to the bladder instead of out of the penis.

GRIZZ - I understand your reluctance to go under the knife. I have had some exceptionally painful operations, especially the Sphincterotomy. Following my first Bladder Neck Incision in 2009 I have been left with very painful neuropathic (nerve) pain. At times, when it is bad it will literally put you on the floor as a shaking wreck until it eases off, and there is never any warning of when it will hit.

I fly Paragliders and Microlights as a hobby and drive trucks as a job. It is a constant fear that this pain will hit whilst I am flying or driving. The only painkillers that work are so strong, Fentanyl or Oxynorm that you cannot possibly work whilst on them - you can barely walk in fact. So pain relief is impossible in day to day life.

So yes mate, if surgery can be avoided then I by all means avoid it but you still have to weigh up the possible future benefits of having it done.

I have one further repeat Sphincterotomy to come, I'm on the waiting list and guess it will be around Christmas time. Having had a great deal of pain and Septicemia following the past three surgeries I am certainly not looking forward to the next one!

Take care and please keep us all updated.

Paul x

PIKACHU - The External Urethral Sphincter muscle - From inside out, you have your Bladder, Bladder Neck (Internal Urethral Sphincter) and then the External Urethral Sphincter.

Due to both the Bladder Neck and External Sphincter being in rigid spasm, causing massive retention both the muscles were eventually cut. This was a very rare operation for a non-spinally paralysed person and cannot be reversed at a later date. The main risks of both these operations are hemorrhage and impotence, and you are guaranteed to lose your ability to have children due to Retrograde Ejaculation - sperm travels back in to the bladder instead of out of the penis.

GRIZZ - I understand your reluctance to go under the knife. I have had some exceptionally painful operations, especially the Sphincterotomy. Following my first Bladder Neck Incision in 2009 I have been left with very painful neuropathic (nerve) pain. At times, when it is bad it will literally put you on the floor as a shaking wreck until it eases off, and there is never any warning of when it will hit.

I fly Paragliders and Microlights as a hobby and drive trucks as a job. It is a constant fear that this pain will hit whilst I am flying or driving. The only painkillers that work are so strong, Fentanyl or Oxynorm that you cannot possibly work whilst on them - you can barely walk in fact. So pain relief is impossible in day to day life.

So yes mate, if surgery can be avoided then I by all means avoid it but you still have to weigh up the possible future benefits of having it done.

I have one further repeat Sphincterotomy to come, I'm on the waiting list and guess it will be around Christmas time. Having had a great deal of pain and Septicemia following the past three surgeries I am certainly not looking forward to the next one!

Take care and please keep us all updated.

Paul x
    I am not worried about it being painful.....well not for the most part anyway, its that I had a colon resection done back in April & they had nicked my spleen during the surgery & I wound up bleeding out that night & flat lined. I was in an induced coma for 6 days & went through 33 pints of blood & 4 surgeries & lost my spleen in the process. After coming that close to dying I am not going to go under the knife ANY time soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats bad. Do you hope he is going to mention that? Is it more the word that is hard to say?
    I see him again in 6 weeks & if the meds are just not working at all by then I will bring it up.........unless I chicken out again :P

Grizz, have they tried Dicyclomine with you yet? It sounds like it's constant BPH (been a while since we talked about it) and the 2 that I was given was Tamsulosin (Flomax) and Doxazosin (Cardura) for chronic BPH. They are both an Alpha-Blocker and can also create stress IC side effect. Regulating BPH was a pain and after going thru every possible med and TURP, it did seem to get a lil better with the Dicyclomine/Oxybutynin/Amitriptyline combination. Just be really careful with blood pressure readings at first.

The Dicyclo is an anti-spasmatic that helps to hold back urine (like the oxy) and doesn't put as much "tension/pressure" on the prostate. ~basically what my doc was explaining his idea on treatment~. The combination held back everything and let the prostate 'settle'. My condition wasn't like most but if I recall we have very similar issues. It really helped me, maybe something you can discuss with him? My IC is pretty much under control now. I can almost calculate the wetting times and conditions and don't have the other issues bothering me near as much.

I had a bladder neck incision done in the spring this year. I was retaining urine and having accidents both at night and during the day. I always needed to go to the toilet, but did not pee much when I got there, hence needing to go again soon afterwards. I was peeing every hour or so. After the op the urgency feeling was really helped and the flow improved, however this has reduced since. Before I always needed to go, but mostly got to the toilet on time, now I feel nothing until I really need to go and more often than not wet myself. I wear diapers 24/7 to deal with my wetting.

I am seeing my urologist soon to discuss what to do next, it seems I am still retaining urine and perhaps I need to have the op done again, perhaps cutting more this time. Again there is a chance of regaining my control, but also a risk of loosing what control I have left. There are also other surgical options including a device that controls your pee mechanically. I am waiting to see what he advises.

The op did get rid of the constant need to pee and the uncomfort that went with it, but it has not helped with my accidents that if anything are worse. The other side effect is on ejaculations, and now I produce very little sperm as it get pushed back into my bladder. I knew this could happen, but it is very strange all the same.