Thread: The 5 of November

Default The 5 of November

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
    The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
    I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
    Should ever be forgot.

Anyone doing anything for the 5 of november? Am celebrating by watching v for vendetta.

I was thinking about watching that movie tonight.

DAMN! I told myself last year I wouldn't forget again >

I remembered but I didn't do anything special for it. Just watched fireworks from my back window.

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    I remembered but I didn't do anything special for it. Just watched fireworks from my back window.
    Same, why spend your own money when you watch everyone else on your road for free?

Default The 5 of November

I didn't do anything. We used to do fireworks as a family, but stopped a few years ago, after my uncle nearly got hit in the face by one.

i did nothing. not because i'm catholic, just because it's become much of a cultural non-event. it's all about selling fireworks, nowadays; i've not seen a gang of kids roaming the streets, asking, "penny for the Guy?" for years. nobody seems to even use 'guy' in the english sense, anymore, apart from me (it's all the american 'guys and dolls' junk).

when i was young, it was totally kid-gig. kids built the bommy, kids made the guy (to go round begging for pennies for fireworks and treats) and adults were mere guests.
    of course, wood was also in common use, then, and living between a couple of cotton mills, we also got the wicker cotton baskets to burn.
    despite the demise, November the sixth of this year was a very typical sixth: smoggy and still.