Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby Powder Usage

Default Baby Powder Usage

I've gotten back into the habit of dusting myself with baby powder regularly. I don't wear diapers but I love the smell of powder (particularly the lavender stuff) and I'm just curious if there's anything I need to know about being an adult using baby powder. Are there any issues I should be concerned about? Any tips or tricks from the more veteran AB's out there?

Thanks for the feedback!

It's harmful if you breath too much of the talcum based powder in and it's really difficult to get out of carpets, but other than that I don't think there are any major problems you should be concerned about. I like the smell of baby powder too and I love having it sprinkled on my tummy then rubbed in. It makes me feel all little, and it makes me smell nice too!

Baby Powder is good especially if you have areas that sweat. It is a talcum powder that can prevent rashy areas.

BigC300

It is dangerous to inhale talc. Very similar to asbestos. Corn starch based powder much safer for the lungs if inhaled during dusting with powder. You can enjoy "baby powder scent" through other venues such as fragrance oils and candles.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC300 View Post
    It is dangerous to inhale talc. Very similar to asbestos. Corn starch based powder much safer for the lungs if inhaled during dusting with powder. You can enjoy "baby powder scent" through other venues such as fragrance oils and candles.
    Indeed talc can be contaminated with asbestos-like material. If anyone did not know, johnson&johnson and store brands offer powder made from either cornstarch or talc as mentioned in last post. The link below shows a woman with ovarian cancer sued j&j over this:
    Lawsuit Blames Johnson & Johnson's Talcum Powder For Ovarian Cancer

"...a Harvard University study in 2008 that suggests women who use talc once a week might be increasing their risk by 36 percent. Daily users risk of ovarian cancer jumped by 41 percent."

However, the article does not mention which company the woman is buying her powder from, and may be just suing J&J for the few times she did use her powder. Many of the off-brands of talc powder are produced in China and other less-regulated manufacturing areas, while the J&J powder is made in USA. The Harvard study also doesn't mention which brand of powder is used so without more information there is no way of knowing if this is caused by unsafe manufacturing or by the actual nature of talc itself.

A study by the FDA performed around the same time as the Harvard Study found no Asbestos material in 8 different brands of powder (including J&J), but then again there's no way of knowing whether the processing methods/areas of these products have or will have changed in time, link follows:
    Talc in Cosmetics.

I have seen reports of Johnson&Johnson promising no contamination in their powder and the above study is indeed promising, so it does seem reasonably safe to use their talc product. If it worries you though and you want to be safe, use cornstarch, but people with yeast-related infections or jock itch should avoid using cornstarch as it can make it the issues worsen.
    Last edited by Rakittycoon; 05-Nov-2012 at 07:25.

i love the smell of baby powder i have a small bottle nearby for when i want to do some aroma therapy

It can have a down side if you are going to be around other people who are particularly "nosey".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use powder a lot and I use tons when changing my little friend and breath it in quite often (not on purpose). I love powder and so does he, but now this thread has gotten me a bit worried

I see no harm in it. It's another form of body powder if your not wearing a diaper at that time. A lot of people want to use something down there.