Thread: Free baby food!

Default Free baby food!

I was on my way to the store and I noticed a pile of baby things on the side of the road with a sign that said free. Lots of baby rice and gerber jars of food. I took one of the bags of baby food jars home, only to find out that they are all expired. Some by a week others by a few months. I would love to keep them to eat if they are still safe to consume, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to taste like. So far I have had a jar of bananas and they seemed fine. Does anyone out there know if it will be safe for me to eat any of them? There all sealed and clean.

I think the ones that are only a few weeks would be fine. They err on the safe side. Really, canned goods, and in this case jarred, can last a long, long time. My mom used to jar tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables. Once they're sealed, they last.

if it was growing bacteria, the lid of the jar would not be pushed in. it would be flat, or bulging. push on the lid to see if you can push it in. if you can, it's maybe bad. if when you open it, it still has a vacuum, then it is not likely to be growing bacteria as the bacteria *farts* in the jar when it grows... (girn)
    if in doubt, don't eat it.....

I felt slightly off after the mashed bananas, so I tossed them. It was a shame there must have been 40 or so jars, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    I felt slightly off after the mashed bananas, so I tossed them. It was a shame there must have been 40 or so jars, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.
    When it said free. I'd be leery too. You did the right thing.