Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't help but think there needs to be an improvement..

Lightbulb Can't help but think there needs to be an improvement..

You know, like everyone else in here, I too have my wishes for diaper companies to grant me - and like a good deal of us, they are not all that realistic.

However, one thing that has been making my mind burn with ideas is how obvious it is that the modern diaper DOES need improving. Real improving. If they didn't, then they would never leak, (under normal use) always fit right, and work 100%.
    But we all know that is not the case. Just ask a side sleeper, or in a lot of cases any guy that has a habit of his anatomy creeping up, or to far to one side etc.

Do you think there is any way we could use each other as a large-scale test/marketing group to come up with the ultimate answer? Something that surely we can put together and sell, or get someone like Abena or Tena etc to notice and say "Hey! Why didn't we think of that?"
    The trick would be keeping it realistic. I have given much thought to this and have come up with a few items.

They have standing leak guards, but what about adding one in a horseshoe shape across the top? I think this could help some of the guy issues.

The sides on taped diapers have no padding, maybe adding some could help side sleepers?

Maybe putting an elastic down the middle front to back would help keep it snug?

Maybe making a cross tape system where top goes to bottom and bottom to top might help with keeping snug?

Or maybe a diaper add on - I was thinking something like a gaft panty but something you wear where liquid goes out but not back and will keep everything (on a guy) snug and in place to channel the liquid?

Any one else have anything that would majorly improve the function? Remember this is actual improvements - not the fantasy like size 13 huggies or padding the size of a pillow etc. Even tho, that would be awesome

Yeah, definitely want Huggies or Pampers that would fit a size 44 waist or bigger. << >>

But yeah, more than anything else, I want some sort of improvement in sides leaking when laying down. I'm one of those rare people who sleep on their back all night, virtually without moving, but still, I'll occasionally end up with a leak because the urine went to the left or right.

Some sort of side-leak guard would be a big improvement.

Interesting idea. The problem is that lots of large corporations out there actually will not accept outside ideas, regardless of whether they are AB/DL related or even related to a core product design.

Ideas are good but without actual design and testing work they are just ideas. Any idea how we would accomplish this?

Not to mention the patent issues that this would potentially create, especially if we somehow come up with some innovation before a diaper company thus jeopardizing there ability to patent the new design.

Diapers certainty do pose some design issues although most seem to be related to the economics of manufacturing cheap diapers. So I would say that improving the best diapers would be the aim here.

I would personally love to see some sort of perfect fit system based on a better selection of sizes and absorbency then a design that makes proper diaper placement the most effective. I say this because I have discovered the ABU single tape diapers are actually really good fitting, and thus more effective as a diaper, when placed properly on the body. So find a solution to this and we are good.

A design change for side sleepers would also be nice. The problem here is that most of us have legs thus ness imitating leg holes in the diapers. Without this we would have less of an issue. On this same note I have noticed that I can wet in most diapers while I am on my back, the front and back of the diaper absorb most if the wetness and we are good. However if I am on my side or my tummy things do not work as well. If the diaper is really absorbent there is not usually too much of an issues for male tummy sleepers and I suspect female tummy sleepers are even better off. So solve the tummy sleeping and side sleeping issues and we are good.

Clumping and press out are also big issues that I don't like so it would me nice I see a fix for these issues.

Some diapers have issues with free liquid, to me this is a matter of poor design because most of the better diapers do not share this issue.

Diapers like the Bambino Belissimo are really cool but they use so much SAP that the absorb any mat gets too squishy and becomes unstable. For me I have experienced bursting and squish out (of the wet SAP). Something that would stabilize the material in pace to give it better integrity might be interesting.

Another possible idea would be to create some sort of string shaped SAP that quickly draws moisture from one point to the full length of the strand. As an alternative maybe some other stringlike material that is ultra quick wicking, and that will continue to wick even while saturated. The idea is to find something that will wick in a specific direction only and effectively act as a pump.

A cupped standing leg guard in the front for males and females is an idea but has actually been done. They present as more of a pocket and are used front and back. It has been a while since I have seen this, but I have seen this idea. Expanding on this maybe make some sort of pocket in the front inner so that fit and positioning can be more or less enforced.

Ok, enough ideas for now, time for this baby to get to bed.

Very good points Garzilla,
    Maybe they could use some elastics right before the tapes?
    I was wondering how they could get it to wick more front to back as well.. seems to be a waist of a diaper when the front or middle is leaking and flooding, but the back is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Knom View Post
    Very good points Garzilla,
    Maybe they could use some elastics right before the tapes?
    I was wondering how they could get it to wick more front to back as well.. seems to be a waist of a diaper when the front or middle is leaking and flooding, but the back is dry.
    I find that the more premium diapers usually do well when I wet while on my back. The front will get wet over time and the middle and back get most of it. The issues, I believe, are rate of wetting and anatomy. For me I will just relax and let it happen and I subpose my sleep wetting is probably about the same. When I do flood I see many more leaks, although position helps more in these cases.

Anatomy is probably the biggest factor in leaking next to flooding a diaper, position and over wetting. Boy babies have a unique challenge where girl babies have different issues. For boys the natural tendency is to point up and this is not good when the wetting is rapid. Any other direction with a rapid wetting will also tend to have a similar effect on the diaper where it is overwhelmed and leaks. Girl babies end up having to be on there tummies to get the full front wet unless the diaper wicks well.

So for boys the challenge would be wicking from front to back but then this is position dependent. For girls the challenge would be wicking from bottom to higher up in the diaper, altough this is also highly position dependent. Essentially we need to overcome gravity while accommodating anatomy, position and rate of wetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    Anatomy is probably the biggest factor in leaking next to flooding a diaper, position and over wetting. Boy babies have a unique challenge where girl babies have different issues. For boys the natural tendency is to point up and this is not good when the wetting is rapid. Any other direction with a rapid wetting will also tend to have a similar effect on the diaper where it is overwhelmed and leaks. Girl babies end up having to be on there tummies to get the full front wet unless the diaper wicks well.
    Agreed, that's why in my original post I wondered about some kind of garment men could wear under their diaper. Kinda like a gaft panty, only more built for the purpose. That way it makes sure that a guy is always pointing where they should be regardless of sitting, standing, laying position. That or a diaper design that is really snug with elastics across the mid front, but has a "pocket" for da-boys.
    I had experimented with something like this by using about a size 3-4 baby diaper. I would take the "sticky" tabs and wrap them around the base of the boys and fasten with the bottom of the diaper facing up, then I would pull the "open" end down and between my legs (kinda like putting a diaper on backwards) while putting on an Abena or equivelent. This worked fairly well, but could obviously be improved with something built for the purpose. It helped when pionting up so that it was defelected where it should go.

completeley agree with what you are saying because i think it would be a good idea for those of us who are ic

Yes Absolutely, I totally agree with the horeshoe front leak guards, been my biggest issue with diapers forever, as well as the wicking issues, a faster wick to the back in general would fix alot, I cant tell you how many times I find myself leaking out the sides even in a premium diaper while sitting, while the back is dry

Quote Originally Posted by Knom View Post
    Agreed, that's why in my original post I wondered about some kind of garment men could wear under their diaper. Kinda like a gaft panty, only more built for the purpose. That way it makes sure that a guy is always pointing where they should be regardless of sitting, standing, laying position. That or a diaper design that is really snug with elastics across the mid front, but has a "pocket" for da-boys.
    I had experimented with something like this by using about a size 3-4 baby diaper. I would take the "sticky" tabs and wrap them around the base of the boys and fasten with the bottom of the diaper facing up, then I would pull the "open" end down and between my legs (kinda like putting a diaper on backwards) while putting on an Abena or equivelent. This worked fairly well, but could obviously be improved with something built for the purpose. It helped when pionting up so that it was defelected where it should go.
    Interesting. So let me see if I understand because I am having a bit of a challenge visualizing what you are saying. You basically made a pocket for your boy parts out of a smaller baby diaper that would fit in the front of your regular diaper. If I have this correct the pocket could be manufactured and sold separately, would be best to have fused sides and trimmed down to a proper size, and would not nessisarily have a waterproof outer shell (probably not anyway).

I had originally thought of a pocket that was made of material more like what the standing leg guards are made of, not stretchy except for maybe the sides, and just there in the top of the diaper. Manufacturing would be a bit more tricky but the diaper could be used for both boys and girls.

But a separate product with its own absorbent properties might be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bebehuey View Post
    Yes Absolutely, I totally agree with the horeshoe front leak guards, been my biggest issue with diapers forever, as well as the wicking issues, a faster wick to the back in general would fix alot, I cant tell you how many times I find myself leaking out the sides even in a premium diaper while sitting, while the back is dry
    The horseshoe design is one that I think I have seen but I can't recall exactly. It may have just been on a baby diaper.

The wicking issue for times when sitting in the diaper might be a but of a challenge. I do have to admit that this is where most of my leaky diapers come from when I am traveling, so this really is a good one.

I wonder I we have anyone on the forum that is into material sciences, especially with SAP and similar materials.

Why not have them simply shape the center to be a little thinner, and made mostly of pulp, to increase wicking in a channel like manner.(As well as making it so that when your legs are closed tight[Such as when sleeping your side], it would form a bit of space, allowing for it to use the center channel first, rather than relying on the bit of seemingly worthless side padding)