Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey's Accession to the EU

Question Turkey's Accession to the EU

Turkey has been an associate member state for quite a while and seeks to become a part of the European Union. If Turkey were to be granted membership to the European Union in 2013, my questions are:

1. How will this affect the European Union financially?
    2. How will this appear to other countries within the vicinity?
    3. Do the benefits really outweigh the risks?

I am not a real expert on the EU but wouldn't Turkey resist being integrated into the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyEddie View Post
    I am not a real expert on the EU but wouldn't Turkey resist being integrated into the EU?
    Actually Turkey has been wanting to join the EU for quite a while. However their accession has run into trouble because of possible human rights abuses, and the issues concerning greece and cyprus. The issue concerning cyprus has been their primary stumbling block as they are no friend of greece. They would however be strategically and economically valuable to the EU because it would open up access to middle eastern oil.

Hypothetically, if they were allowed into the EU there would be some restrictions not present for other nations. For instance all other EU nations, except for the UK, allow free travel between their boarders. Because of turkey's geographic location, and their cultural differences, they would not share this privilege.

Though keep in mind that this is an American talking, so if any of our european friends have information I do not perhaps they could give a better answer. I did a study on this all semester, two semesters ago, for an international relations project, but as a result my information and understanding may be a tad dated.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Turkey joining the EU, I think it would help bring financial stability to the EU, please note, Britain still refuses to to the the Euro. the problem I see with the EU is that they have a common currency (except Great Britain), but too much power to individual countries still.. I think things would go much more smoothly if the EU had more broad federal powers and treat individual nations as states. the EU as a federal system seems a bit too weak. I think the situation I've seen with Turkey would improve greatly with acceptance to the EU. sure, there are problems with Greece, but, they've existed for over 3000 years now, maybe this would lessen it. My issue with the EU is a unified currency without a unified monetary policy, I can't see how Turkey cant help but to stabilize it. On the Human Rights issue, I think that Turkey's acceptance into the EU should come with LOTS of human rights reforms, namely in their court system.

Quote Originally Posted by PacifiedByKnowledge View Post
    Actually Turkey has been wanting to join the EU for quite a while. However their accession has run into trouble because of possible human rights abuses, and the issues concerning greece and cyprus. The issue concerning cyprus has been their primary stumbling block as they are no friend of greece. They would however be strategically and economically valuable to the EU because it would open up access to middle eastern oil.

Hypothetically, if they were allowed into the EU there would be some restrictions not present for other nations. For instance all other EU nations, except for the UK, allow free travel between their boarders. Because of turkey's geographic location, and their cultural differences, they would not share this privilege.

Though keep in mind that this is an American talking, so if any of our european friends have information I do not perhaps they could give a better answer. I did a study on this all semester, two semesters ago, for an international relations project, but as a result my information and understanding may be a tad dated.
    You are probably far more qualified than most of the European members to talk about this issue. For people in the UK in particular, it doesn't really affect us, as we don't have strong ties to Turkey in the first place, unlike Germany, for example, which has a significant population of Turkish heritage.

(Many people in the UK want out of the EU. They view it as a devious cabal of bureaucrats conspiring to steal our sovereignty. This is, of course, nonsense, but it holds sway with a lot of right-wing voters. The "Human Rights Act" in particular is seen as a devious piece of legislation imposed on us by those folk in Brussels. We should be allowed to deport whoever we want, due process be damned!)

One current problem is that Turkey borders Syria and they are close to being at war with one another. The EU may want to see the Syrian conflict resolved first. The EU has other problems as well, with Greece, Spain and Portugal, if memory serves me correctly. Stability within the economy and the resolution of the Syrian conflict may have to occur first.

1. How will this affect the European Union financially?
    In the short term it will boost the euro zone but the long term it will be dragged down by greese Italy and Spain

2. How will this appear to other countries within the vicinity?
    Being an Islamic country all it's neighbouring countries bar albania are orthodox christens there are some very old feuds there with turkey allot of old fashion hatred that will not go away and still view turkey as a thret from the auto man empire days

3. Do the benefits really outweigh the risks?
    There are no real risks it's more will the other countries want turkey, the euro crises will be going for a long long time
    The only reason wturkey wants to join is for free trade.

ElectricGuitar

Of course one minor problem is that only a small part of Turkey is actually Europe, but that doesnt probably matter at all.

Turkey is a rich country, would be a good thing to Euro, because Greece has been kinda pulling it down.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricGuitar View Post
    Turkey is a rich country, would be a good thing to Euro, because Greece has been kinda pulling it down.
    As have Spain and Italy and other countries to a more limited extent (Ireland and Portugal for example), letting Turkey in won't help the Euro by any means.

Chrome

Turkey has been an associate member state for quite a while, and still is, as far as I know. Given the Eurozone crisis, having Turkey become a member might help, though I think the EU is already big enough as it is. What w/ Turkey nearly being at outright war w/ Syria, and the problems in the Lebanon, there could be repercussions over their membership. Do the benefits outweigh the risks? They might do, and they might not.