Thread: Rant: No hockey!

Default Rant: No hockey!

This is just a little rant that has been on my mind and felt it could be turned into a good discussion.

With the NHL lockout still going and now currently having over 320 games cancelled so far. I am becoming more and more angry over the greed of not only the team owners, but the league owners as well. I don't understand why they just cannot agree over a 50-50 split. This is also putting my favorite game of the season at stake, The Winter Classic, for those that don't know is a game that is played outdoors and is this year going to be between the Red Wings and the Maple Leafs.

Hockey is a growing sport and has attracted so many new fans that are now leaving because of the lockout. I think the last I read the lockout has caused a loss of 200+ million dollars in revenue. Now I don't believe that hockey will die out and cease to exist, but am afraid of what this will do of broadcasting of games on TV as well as more teams having to sell out to companies to advertise (renaming of sports centers to crap like Sports Authority Stadium)

So I'm curious to see what others think about how this lockout might affect the game as well as to your thoughts on the current situation and how you think it could be resolved.

Default Rant: No hockey!

I am mad about the whole lockout ordeal with the NHL. I love hockey, I love going to games and watching it and it sucks not having to go. I also live here in Arizona and am a avid Coyotes fan. So not only am I worried about the lockout but I'm worried about the team possibly relocating. The stupid city of Glendale where the coyotes play at is split in deciding their future and having conflicts with the buyer. I hope hockey starts back up and hope the Coyotes remain here, otherwise I will root for my second favorite team the San Jose Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstron View Post
    I am mad about the whole lockout ordeal with the NHL. I love hockey, I love going to games and watching it and it sucks not having to go. I also live here in Arizona and am a avid Coyotes fan. So not only am I worried about the lockout but I'm worried about the team possibly relocating. The stupid city of Glendale where the coyotes play at is split in deciding their future and having conflicts with the buyer. I hope hockey starts back up and hope the Coyotes remain here, otherwise I will root for my second favorite team the San Jose Sharks.
    I myself would be sad if the Coyotes got moved, but don't think it will happen. Phoenix is now big with hockey and the Coyotes have brought in a lot of revenue to that area. The only move I have currently heard that is final is going to be the Islanders moving to Brooklyn.

PS: Coyotes are my second favorite team, I miss their old logo and was sad to see them miss the cup last year since my team was out.

People in the south watch Hockey? We learn something every day I suppose.

I'm fond of pro hockey, and I was annoyed to hear that the season is basically shot (they keep pushing back the potential for a season each month that passes, but really, it's done for the year) I can't fathom though, why they even need a union for these players and how there can even be talk of strike or lockouts for such a highly paid segment of the entertainment business. When a sizable portion of the league, even up in hockey-fetish Canuck country, can't keep an NHL team out of the red accounting-wise due to wild revenue and cost fluctuations, then there's something seriously wrong - and when governments have to step in and hand money or subsidies to keep these talented tanks-on-ice in their city, then we know that our priorities are way out of whack with reality.

Some day the NHL will be toast - unless it can dissolve the unions and go forward sustainably - no more expansions, no more government handouts and no more effing Gary Bettman - I've been hearing that name for most of my life now, and never in a positive light.