Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Avatar Impressions

Default Avatar Impressions

This may have been brought up before in another thread, but I don't remember seeing it. As most of you know, Shodai got me a great avatar and I am using it now, and it got me thinking...do other member's avatars give you an impression about who they are/what kind of person they are? Do you end up talking to one member over another just because of how their picture looks? I find this happening to me and it makes me wonder if any of you have similar thoughts/impressions formed just because of someone's avatar.

No, not really, unless it's something completely asinine(IE. Blatant Diaper ones, etc).

Countdown

No, I base my opinions of others off people's posts, not their avatars. I don't really pay attention to avatars much anyway. Although I must say, nice new avatar, BB4L!

FullMetal

Quote Originally Posted by baseball4life View Post
    This may have been brought up before in another thread, but I don't remember seeing it. As most of you know, Shodai got me a great avatar and I am using it now, and it got me thinking...do other member's avatars give you an impression about who they are/what kind of person they are? Do you end up talking to one member over another just because of how their picture looks? I find this happening to me and it makes me wonder if any of you have similar thoughts/impressions formed just because of someone's avatar.
    Umm, well, if people have really cute avatars I always think that they themselves are cute. Like your avatar is cute so thats how I picture you, but I know it is not true (I don't mean you specifically.) In other terms, I think people with interesting avatars are more sophisticated but I also base that heavily on their posts as well.

I am always surprised to see peoples actual pictures and I love it when they do so I can see how accurate my imagination is (which is seldom right.)

FullMetal

not not really....although in rps i do keep thinking ht person somone plays in the rp looks like there avatar (if it is a person avatar)

I think that's natural to have a tendence to build up a mind association between someone on a forum and the "visual" way he represents himself - the avatar.

In real life, we're used to deal with people who have a physical appearance, and for how we may deny it, this influences how we relationate ourselves to them. If you don't believe me, just think if you'll act the same towards someone who you find physically pleasant, or appealing, and towards someone who looks repellent. The same happens with avatars.

Here, unless you have pics of yourself in the gallery, we're just pure entities of thought without an image. Our mind obviously tends to fill this "lack of an image" with whatever element comes in handy, and the avatar is one of them.

And yes, that happens to me too.

Thunder

Honesly... yeah, although i don't judge people who DO have avatars, i just simply don't like it when people don't have an avatar.

I agree with Quattrus 100%. At least, when I'm talking to people I don't know. If I know them then I start to get an image of that being what they look like. For example, whenever avery posts, I see a dancing tree. New people I associate with their avatar, even after reading some of their posts. It's just how I learn :\

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
    Umm, well, if people have really cute avatars I always think that they themselves are cute. Like your avatar is cute so thats how I picture you, but I know it is not true (I don't mean you specifically.)
    This is exactly what I was trying to say. I associate people as being cute if their avatars are like that. And I know you don't specifically mean me

EmeraldsAndLime

*has avatars disabled on the forum*

Yeah, sue me.

And I've actually gotten quite a number of responses about mine... mostly positive.