Thread: Pacifiers: Necessity or Unnecessary?

Default Pacifiers: Necessity or Unnecessary?

So, I just learned an interesting little factoid from my dad today. We were having coffee when he showed me a pic he had shown to my brother over Twitter. It was a pic of a baby, sucking a pacifier with a little twirly mustache on it. Naturally, it was funny, but it also led my dad to tell me that my brother and I never used pacifiers when we were babies. No wonder it felt so weird when I recently bought my first pacifier and why it felt so alien.

My dad told me that he saw them as unnecessary, as he said that if a baby was to show any discomfort, the parents themselves would have to comfort them rather than a simple pacifier. I brought up the point that maybe pacifiers were the ONLY way of giving comfort in that kind of situation, which my dad said is probably the ploy that pacifier makers use in order to make parents buy their products.

Now, I wasn't one to argue a point, out of irrational fear that I might get too into the conversation, prompting my father to ask me why I was so on ball with a discussion on pacifiers. However, it got me thinking: what do you guys think about pacifiers in a baby's life? Do you think they provide a necessary form of comfort that parents can't reproduce in any other means, or do you think that babies can do without them and just need the ordinary comfort of a parent?

P.S. wasn't sure where to put this topic, so I put it in Mature Topics, seeing as it is more about raising a child than anything ABDL related

I never had a dummy/pacifier, nor did my sister. And I don't think any of my friends' kids use them.

They're only really useful if you have a child that gets really distressed and cries whenever they're put down to sleep. I assume that most parents/kids don't use them because there is no need. And I imagine that most would prefer to avoid using them if they could in case it affects language acquisition due to the child being unable to move their mouth freely and practice/imitate adult speech whilst sucking on a dummy...

So, on the whole, I'd say they're unused and unnecessary in most cases... but probably a godsend if your child won't stop crying!

regressedneutrino

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I assume that most parents/kids don't use them because there is no need. And I imagine that most would prefer to avoid using them if they could in case it affects language acquisition due to the child being unable to move their mouth freely and practice/imitate adult speech whilst sucking on a dummy...

So, on the whole, I'd say they're unused and unnecessary in most cases... but probably a godsend if your child won't stop crying!
    It is more of a cultural thing. If you were brought up with pacifers, I would assume you are more likely to raise your children with them. In my experience, most parents use them. Culture varies from place to place. And the possible minor effect of sucking habits on speach development is well documented, that's true, but only in really excessive use. In just about all cases, the positive effects the comfort of a pacifer in he baby's mouth can have on both the child and the parents (noise- and stress reduction) outweigh the potential negative effects by a long way.

I also think they are a lot more commonplace now than they were. Every baby I see has them, including relatives and friends. If I had had one when I was a kid, maybe someone could have taken it away and I wouldn't be a thumb sucker still today. I was never able to quit.

i had a pacifier till i was 10 by dentist's request. i was a thumb sucker and it has been prooven that thumb sucking is bad for teeth and most pacifiers promote good dental development, so thats why my parents told me to use one, if i had to suck on something they would rather it be a pacifier than my thumb. so as for the question pacifiers are not necisary for all kids but for those who suck their thumbs i would say yes, nessicary.

I'm to pacis from first day of my life in this earth (out of utero.) The wish of get paci I rember from my 4 years, so I stold one of my sister... Later I stoped a few yaers, but when I was 12, I bought first time my paci as TB, tryed a few times to stop in different modes, but it was unsuccesfull... Reason can't find.

Just remember, when my daughter born. She is very active and if want something, so she put all possibles ways to reach it (like myself...) and she used paci from T +6 hours, because there wasn't any way to stop her crying. Very similar story told me my mother about myself.

edit: May I'm paci adicted, but can resist some period of time without, if necesaryt, but (clearly) prefere to use it.
    Last edited by CrazySmoker; 25-Oct-2012 at 16:41.