Thread: Weaning off of padding?

Default Weaning off of padding?

It seems as though if I don't use padding every once in a while, or at least have it around, my psyche takes a beating. I get irritated and can't focus. I don't like that. I don't like that I'm pretty much mentally dependent on it. It doesn't seem healthy to be mentally dependent on anything.

I'm not saying I want to completely eliminate everything about this side of me, but I really want and need to tone it down. It should be something that I do out of the joy of it, not necessity (Not that I don't do it out of joy as well, but I digress). It doesn't seem healthy from a mental standpoint, and it certainly doesn't help from a financial standpoint.

Anyone have any tips?

I feel the same when I haven't been padded for a while... But I have the opposite opinion. I think it's a perfectly healthy (if a bit odd) way to reduce anxiety... Hating yourself for being "mentally dependent" on them doesn't sound like it'd be good for your mental health...

Everyone has their vices, smoking, biting nails, etc. Getting padded can have the same effect, and you don't need to feel bad about it just because other may think its taboo. It is normal to have some kind of vice, and last time I checked diapers dont kill, unless you are smoking them maybe?

And you may say yah, well people can quit smoking... that's true, but they usually replace it with another vice, eating, drinking, gambling, nail biting, etc.

Assuming that wearing diapers is sexual for you, you should consider that fact that your sexual drive is peaking at your age. This will produce tension and anxiety. Even at my age, I find there are points throughout the week that I need to wear, or I feel edgy. Wearing and using a diaper on the weekend relaxes me and fulfills that need.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    It seems as though if I don't use padding every once in a while, or at least have it around, my psyche takes a beating. I get irritated and can't focus. I don't like that. I don't like that I'm pretty much mentally dependent on it. It doesn't seem healthy to be mentally dependent on anything.

I'm not saying I want to completely eliminate everything about this side of me, but I really want and need to tone it down. It should be something that I do out of the joy of it, not necessity (Not that I don't do it out of joy as well, but I digress). It doesn't seem healthy from a mental standpoint, and it certainly doesn't help from a financial standpoint.

Anyone have any tips?
    This is a very common issue among AB/DL's. The diapers are a regressive coping mechanism.

I used to beat myself up also because I did not fully understand what was happening to me or why I had the feelings, which for me started at about 5.

It is unlikely that you will be able to overcome these urges for more than short periods of time, varies by the person. The feelings you are having likely stem from childhood when you were loved and nurtured pretty intimately. In some cases memories of these times will be triggered or even retained, likely subconsciously, and when this happens you will find you are drawn to diapers.

Diapers have an amazing ability to help create balance. One of the best ways of dealing with these feelings is to come to a point where you are comfortable engaging in the activity, and where you accept this very special part of who you are.

Essentially what is happening is that you are experiencing a subconscious desire to regress. The diapers will satisfy this need but it is possible that you can discover other things that create the same level of regression. For some a pacifier or other baby things will do it. For me a blankie sleeper (footed pajamas) is a pretty good substitute. Of course this all depends on what you subconsciously associate with the love and nurture that you are subconsciously craving.

Quote Originally Posted by Garzilla View Post
    The diapers will satisfy this need but it is possible that you can discover other things that create the same level of regression. For some a pacifier or other baby things will do it. For me a blankie sleeper (footed pajamas) is a pretty good substitute. Of course this all depends on what you subconsciously associate with the love and nurture that you are subconsciously craving.
    I think this highlights the importance of variety, a concept that holds in all facets of our lives. Not to question your assessment, but perhaps what you feel isn't concern over how important padding is to you, but rather how much of your life is consumed solely by it. To rephrase, the concern here might be quality, not quantity.

As I am sure you have read all over the site, ABDLism, for all intents and purposes, is something ingrained into our psyches and doesn't simply up and disappear. The intensity of the desire to regress can wax and wane, the cycling of which depends on a multitude of factors. Yet, at the end of it all, it remains with us through good times and bad. Therefore, it might stand to reason that just as the inputs may change with time, how we express our 'little' side, the output, might vary, as well.

As Garzilla recommended, try and find another way to fulfill those urges. Perhaps a new addition to your AB wardrobe, assuming you have one. Maybe a trinket or other childish relic that you could carry around in your pocket to remind you of that feeling without having to live it out.

Above all, though, zero in on what makes you happy. So long as it doesn't harm you or others, focus on the positive impact it makes on you rather than worrying about how it might be wrong. ^_^

Thanks for the responses, all of you.

So it seems the best course of action would be finding something else to kind of ease the urges. Sounds simple enough. Now it's just a matter of finding what works.

Thanks again!

its just a case of trying to keep yourself busy as if your busy you wont have the time to wear
    if your brain is occupied it wont be thinking of it

wolfiepup

Quote Originally Posted by wolfiepup View Post
    its just a case of trying to keep yourself busy as if your busy you wont have the time to wear
    if your brain is occupied it wont be thinking of it

wolfiepup
    Exactly, keeping busy is a powerful way to curb desire, stress, etc.