Thread: FTL: Faster Than Light

Default FTL: Faster Than Light

I found out about this game recently and so want to play it now. It's a strategy game where you control a ship and enter combat with other ships. You can reroute power to shields and weapons, send out drones, even get boarded by aliens which you have to fight off with your crew! It looks like a ton of fun but you need Steam to get it, which I currently do not have. But I might download it just to buy this!

I really, really enjoy this game, actually. It's a ton of fun, especially once you get the hang of it. One of the best features is the ability to rename your crew members because of the somewhat morbid humor that comes along with accidentally doing something stupid to friends, family, etc. I once accidentally sold myself into slavery. Plus, you can get new ships which have different species of crew and weapon capabilities. I completely recommend it.

I used to play Wizardry, which was an early role playing game for the Apple IIe, if you can imagine that. I got my two sons playing it, the younger one being maybe 10 or 11. He enjoyed naming his party after us, and he took great joy having his younger sister die. He would tell her that she just died, and then she would scream at him. Oh the memories.

FTL is a great game, if you like the concept of roguelikes. Which means an insanely difficult, often random challenge. On the upside your accomplishments really feel rewarding. And compared to other games in this genre it actually looks really good.

This is one of the best gaming investments I've ever made... 10 bucks for 60+ hours of relatively limitless replayability... and I'm pretty sure they're making gradual updates to the game, because I'm pretty sure I didn't see a Burst Laser Mk3 in the first week or two of my playing the game. I don't think it looks all that great, but it's decent enough for an indie title, is extremely simple and very rewarding as others have mentioned.