Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Politics 2012 and friendships... a thought

Default Politics 2012 and friendships... a thought

As the election grows nearer and nearer in the US- I've witnessed on Facebook and in my off-line life a lot of arguements about this year's elections. I am sick and tired of the political divide that ruins friendships and can cause harm. As of late, I've been staying out of some of my Ron Paul friends' arguements with Romney supporters and Obama supporters.

I've also been staying out of the Obama vs Romney debate as well. I have no desire to lose friends just because of a political idealouge.

It's gotten to the point where I ABHOR this time of year in American politics. Last year, I nearly lost some friends who were and stil are ardent Ron Paul supporters. It was tough on me as I prize friendships over politics.

This year, I'm always being asked how I feel and living in a battleground state does not help matters any as I've gotten a lot of opinion poll calls and calls for my thoughts- I usually hang up on those by the way as politics tends to anger me sometimes.

I don't support Romney OR Obama- I don't like either party right now and I am SICK of the massive idealouge divide in the US that to me is more of a threat than anything else. In times like these, we should be coming together to help our fellow man, not dividing through political ideals.

So, my question to everyone here is this: Have you nearly lost friends because of political ideals and views and if so- how do you feel about it? I only ask cause I want to see how people feel about this.

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    In times like these, we should be coming together to help our fellow man, not dividing through political ideals.
    Well, that's what political parties are for. Trying to better the country and in doing so most if not everyone succeeds. But if you feel like that, give Freemasonry a shot?

Anyways I don't give a single shit about if my friends political view points are different then mine because I just enjoy debate most of the time.

In times like these, we should be coming together to help our fellow man, not dividing through political ideals.
    That sounds all warm and fuzzy, but it won't happen for the same reason you see that political divide. People have different opinions, many of which are incompatible, and some of which are so strongly felt that they can't just shrug it off.

Here in Canada things are a little different, as we don't have the same kind of polar extremes in our politics (you guys seem to have very yes/no type issues.. whereas we tend to all want the same stuff, and just bicker on how to get it..) and we have a much shorter election period (it's on tv for a few months vs years..) but you see the same kind of stuff come election time here. Those opinions come out, and while plenty of people can shrug and even have an enjoyable debate, you get people with strongly held opposing views and it can totally destroy a friendship.

The reason I wrote this is cause I've witnessed a lot of arguing and arguements over the past year amongst my friends and family and it's gotten to the point where I am tired of it. I have been avoiding the arugements cause I really don't know how I feel and I have a hard time expressing myself in person and when I do it tends to blow right up in my face and I usually feel like an ass later for speaking my mind.

For example, I bowed out of an arguement between myself and my sister over Obama and Romney before she moved to New York because I just didn't want to deal with it. I just waved the white flag and agreed to disagree rather than risk causing more harm in an already fragile relationship with my sister.

Another example, I was asked if I wanted to hear Romney speak recently in a near-by city and I said NO- I had heard the man enough times on TV to know how I feel about him. I declined the invitation and did it in a way to avoid losing the friendship.

There are other examples I can mention but I really don't want to go into all of them. It's just I've never seen things so divided in this country in an election year. Most times it's not as bad but when you have a Congress and Senate who's approval rating is so low and basically dividing the country and not allowing for any work to get done- it makes one think and when one sees the fighting amongst friends on Facebook and in real life.

I know I probably sound like a pussy but my friendships mean a hell of a lot more to me than political idealouges. I guess maybe it's also the stress of this time of year too. Plus living in a battleground state doesn't help as I get a barrage of phone calls, flyers and TV ads every time I turn around. LOL.

WildThing121675

The reason I wrote this is cause I've witnessed a lot of arguing and arguements over the past year amongst my friends and family and it's gotten to the point where I am tired of it. I have been avoiding the arugements cause I really don't know how I feel and I have a hard time expressing myself in person and when I do it tends to blow right up in my face and I usually feel like an ass later for speaking my mind.

For example, I bowed out of an arguement between myself and my sister over Obama and Romney before she moved to New York because I just didn't want to deal with it. I just waved the white flag and agreed to disagree rather than risk causing more harm in an already fragile relationship with my sister.

Another example, I was asked if I wanted to hear Romney speak recently in a near-by city and I said NO- I had heard the man enough times on TV to know how I feel about him. I declined the invitation and did it in a way to avoid losing the friendship.

There are other examples I can mention but I really don't want to go into all of them. It's just I've never seen things so divided in this country in an election year. Most times it's not as bad but when you have a Congress and Senate who's approval rating is so low and basically dividing the country and not allowing for any work to get done- it makes one think and when one sees the fighting amongst friends on Facebook and in real life.

I know I probably sound like a pussy but my friendships mean a hell of a lot more to me than political idealouges. I guess maybe it's also the stress of this time of year too. Plus living in a battleground state doesn't help as I get a barrage of phone calls, flyers and TV ads every time I turn around. LOL.

WildThing121675
    I'll give you credit you have a nack for not being able to ignore political and bitching about it a lot while resigning to live in a constant battle ground state. Move to washington or oregon (liberal states), or too a like minded conservative state such as Arizona or new mexico. then you'll only really have to put up with one side since the other side's votes won't matter.. depending if it's a state where its a take all/lose all. Like it is here in California as far as I know.

I know what you're saying WildThing because I too live in a swing state, Virginia. I try hard not to engage people in political discussions as it only creates hard feelings. As a church music director, I make it part of my job not to engage in political discussions because I don't want to have what they call a "bully pulpit". I direct choirs and so I'm talking to choir members as their director. I'm a strong believer that politics should not be discussed from the pulpit. It's not fair to the congregation because they don't have a pulpit. In addition, I believe in the separation of church and state.

I respect my friends rights to believe as they do, even if we differ. In exchange, I expect them to respect my opinion. In politics, no one is right or wrong. They simply support the party that represents their needs. We all do that.

It is hard to ignore when it's everywhere on TV and in your mailbox as well as on your phone line... I mean EVERYWHERE. As for leaving Ohio, I have no plan to as it's my home. I love my home and have decided to live with it all. I just hate seeing my friends argue and argue over politics and I wonder if they will stay friends or not once it's all said and done.

Well-put Dogboy- It is nice to know I am not alone with this. I just needed to vent a bit about it cause I am tired of the aruging and the fighting that has been going on when in years past it was never as bad as it is now. Even four years ago it wasn't as bitter.

Only two more weeks to go anyway til election day...

WildThing121675

I just enjoy debating. I could care less about others stances and I have told people so. I have yet to lose any friends over anything, because the people I do debate with, know I like to troll and come up with crazy ass scenarios.

But if you hate it so much, it's as simple as telling people you don't give a shit and walking away if they continue.

I also enjoy debating and I am a Romney supporter that voted for Obama 4 years ago. I live in a very Republican state so there is no question about what will happen here, yet I do not recall ever voting for just one party.

I generally don't mind the fight but this time it seems I have reached literally epic proportions. I don't necessarily blame this on any one party yet there seems to be some clear causes.

I find this thread very interesting because of my own experiences.

About 3 weeks ago I consciously decided to take a vacation from Facebook with only extremely quick periodic checks, to see if I have any important messages. So far I have been on 2 times and I expect to check maybe 1 more time before Tuesday. I was finding myself definitely in the fray and it was affecting me. I really don't mind a healthy discourse but at the same time what is happening on FB is just crazy. That I know of I have not lost any friends although I have picked up 2 ultra liberal friends, because we were able to engage in such a civil manner.

So the answer is that I have not lost friends and in fact I have gained a couple. This also includes no near misses that I know of.

For now I say that it will be interesting to see what happens. I plan to pretty much hibernate for the next coup,e of days until it is time to vote, then once it is over I might try to find some balanced coverage. If I am not successful, I say more hibernation will be in my plans.

I'm generally staying out of it, and the canvassers quit knocking on my door after I told them I had voted. now, if only my mailbox wasn't stuffed full of crap. oh well, only 48 hours to go.