Thread: Any Atari Jaguar fans here???

Default Any Atari Jaguar fans here???

I was wondering if any of you guys actually like and/or own an Atari Jaguar and/or even the Atari Jaguar CD add-on because of its impressive, cutting-edge 64-bit technology that not even the 3DO or the Playstation could handle. I've got mine last Christmas and I really loved the system. I have 6 games for it, only 1 of which can play 2 players (Zool 2). As a matter of fact, I'm saving money for my birthday so I can buy an Atari Jaguar CD with some games for it on either Ebay or a California-based website dedicated to selling a lot of Atari merchandise called Best Electronics in a refurbished condition because I want to expand my Atari Jaguar's collection of games. Anybody here who is an Atari Jaguar fan???

I remember when it came out I had high hopes that Atari would kick some tail again, and all my videogame nerd friends were drooling over it. In the end, nobody ever bought one and I never played one in its heyday or after... I believe I may have successfully ran an emulator a few years back, but I may be mixing that up with the Lynx.

Didn't Jaguar have one of the best of the Doom ports?

That's great though that there's a site out there and that you're keeping up the classic machine love, I hope you get your Jaguar CD!

StripesTheSkunk

I'm not really an Atari Jaguar "fan" per-se (Although I do think it is better than my CD-i), but when I played some "Jag" a while back, I found a few games that I kind of liked. Although the graphics didn't really look "64 bit" (I believe this was because it was killed before its true potential was really used), it was released before the 32x, Saturn, and Playstation, so the graphics were probably pretty good at the time. I'm not an owner myself, but I might pick one up in the future. If I get a Jaguar, I may or may not get a CD, last time I checked they were rather pricey.

I don't think so. I thought that the music was awful compared to the SNES version, IMHO. Still not a bad version, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I remember when it came out I had high hopes that Atari would kick some tail again, and all my videogame nerd friends were drooling over it. In the end, nobody ever bought one and I never played one in its heyday or after... I believe I may have successfully ran an emulator a few years back, but I may be mixing that up with the Lynx.

That's great though that there's a site out there and that you're keeping up the classic machine love, I hope you get your Jaguar CD!
    Yes, there was DOOM on the Atari Jaguar. I have that game along with its overlay, which was unique for certain games like Alien vs Predator, Cybermorph (which I also have), Iron Soldier (which I also have) and Wolfenstein 3D that were packaged with their own overlays. Too bad I don't have more attractive games for the Jaguar like Tempest 2000, Cannon Fodder (a port from the Commodore Amiga), Ultra Vortek, Kasumi Ninja (game had a bad reputation of being a Mortal Kombat knockoff) or Super Burnout, but I do have Evolution: Dino Dudes (basically an alternative name for the puzzle game The Humans) and Checkered Flag (remake of the Lynx version). Checkered Flag wasn't good, but the other games that I have I do enjoy playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StripesTheSkunk View Post
    I'm not an owner myself, but I might pick one up in the future. If I get a Jaguar, I may or may not get a CD, last time I checked they were rather pricey.
    I know right?? Sometimes you'll find eBay auctions selling the Jaguar CD for way more than what it cost when it first came out in 1995 ($149.95). However, you can go to Best Electronics, which is a California-based company that sells a lot of Atari merchandise, and find a refurbished Jaguar CD alone sold without the power supply for just $135.00. I hope you get that too, because it's rare and that its technology (much like that from the Jaguar) was cutting edge at the time despite its short lifespan. However, the Jaguar CD's rarity will never beat that of the Gizmondo, one of the rarest and worst handheld game systems in the world. I have that thing with no games but a demo of Trailblazer.

i had hopes for atari at that time. i carefully saved and splurged on the jag and the cd atachment but unfortunately it failed. i havent run mine in a while. i thought the audio cd player was cool because of the graphics that it displayed when a cd was playing. course every audio player available for pc's has that stuff and much better updated graphics