Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acne Remedies

Default Acne Remedies

Unfortunately, this has been something to plague our two kids during their teen years, and looks like it's persisting into their early twenties. My wife and I tried all sorts of remedies, but nothing has been very helpful. Currently, they use Proactiv products which have been about the most helpful in getting some control over new outbreaks. However, it's not doing as good of a job as we'd hope and their faces especially are constantly getting new eruptions. They also use a cleansing bar for oily skin to wash their faces. In addition, they've been taking antibiotics under a doctor's care to help eliminate certain bacteria that contribute to acne.

Since ADISC is made up mostly by people from mid-teens to mid-twenties, usually the most acne-prone years, I thought I'd pose the question here. Have any of you had to deal with severe cases of acne? Did you find something of a medicinal nature to help, or perhaps washing your face with a particular type of cleansing bar and certain frequency, or avoiding particular foods, or even coming up with your own homemade treatment? Whatever you found that really helped a great deal to eliminate breakouts, this is what I'd like to hear. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions. Possibly one of you knows a remedy that will work much better than what we've tried so far. I sure hope so!

I'm sure your kids have tried it already, but rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball always worked well for me. It was pretty inexpensive too.

Proactiv sucks...It works maybe at first...But it bleaches your clothes, and some people have skin problems with it with long term use...Clear Care has some 3 step kit thing, that you can buy in stores...I find that just the soap thing they have with it is pretty good, but like any medicine, it loses it's effectiveness after long use...So I need to find something else...It did seem to really help my acne though

I was fortunate enough to never of had much acne....yet. Im almost sixteen, and have very clear skin, w/ of course the occasional pimple or two, but nothing drastic. But, who knows, maybe it will get worse later, im sayin' a prayer it doesnt.

i dont know if it really works but my mom had me rub pads with my sisters breast milk on my face to cure the acne. it was bad smelling, and a little grouse. i only did it once, and definitely didnt see any results.

Oh that sucks. I just have to keep my stress levels down, and I hardly get any acne. I usually only have a pimple or two, but in Sept. when I went back to school I broke out with 10 or so, same when I stated my new job.

[facetious]I just pop them. It's like bubble pack that never ends! [/facetious]

I dunno, I have some Avon stuff my mom gives me. I think it works a little, but I haven't used it in a while. I never got much acne either way.

Simply, always keep your face clean. Worked for me.

If you want some alternative remedies, try massaging your face with sugar or salt crystals... or for difficult pimples, damp some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton bud and lightly apply, leaving it on for a little while.

Being out on the salt water helps for me, so that's either the mist hitting my face or simply salt water, so my advise is wash the face with salt water.

I had a special 'soap' that contained lye when I was a teen...that seemed to work the best of anything that I tried (and I tried lots of stuff over the years.

Keep away from spicy and/or fried foods, caffeine and alcohol (okay teens shouldn't be drinking alcohol anyway but it can be bad for the skin). The old saying "you are what you eat" really is true.

Whatever you do, do not let a doctor prescribe Accutane (isotretinoin marketed under various trade names, most commonly Accutane (Roche), Amnesteem (Mylan), Claravis (Barr), Decutan (Actavis), Isotane (Pacific Pharmaceuticals), Sotret (Ranbaxy), Oratane (Genepharm Australasia) or Roaccutane (Roche), Izotek (BlauFarma)) for your kids!!! That stuff is lethal (not to mention extreeeemely expensive!). Sure it works, but it doubles the risk of depression. I was on it briefly (as an adult) several years ago, for cystic rosacea, and it literally made me crazy-depressed!